Planning a 50CC, need route suggestions

Bike
2012 St 1300
Have added this to the wish list........must complete, the challenge is.................................................

The time I would want to do it in, meaning the return trip I would want three weeks to just arbitrarily drive around. Especially the West Coast, I have yet to be out there. CO is the farthest and is my favorite place in the world :)

Good luck, you can do it, from one Iron Butt Guy to another

OP
OP
two_wheeled
Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
tm, it sounds like you and I just need to trade places for a few weeks. :)

March is now out of the question. Thinking about April.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I stayed quiet because I couldn't tell if you'd already had the dates locked in... I actually I think April is a much better choice than March. It can be *darn* cold in March (and really not much better in April!).

So you have have 2 days of riding to get to Florida and 7 days to get back; and, I'm guessing, you haven't been East of the Rockies?
I'd take a hint from the U.S. Government... Check the National Parks and the Scenic Byways and build a route by ricocheting North and South of a line drawn from East to the West coast.

Make at least 2 routes one very much South of the other... April can still be quite nasty the further North you wander...

Good luck!
Mark

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've been reading up on the 50CC and I am hoping to do it this year. Maybe in March, if the stars align.
I live in Phoenix. My plan is to start in San Diego and end in Jacksonville (this is the most common route I see).

If I take off a week of work, I will have 9 days total to complete the round trip.
I'm wondering if anyone can give me suggestions on the best route West, back to Phoenix. Obviously I don't want to take interstates all the way home. I've never seen the rest of the country so this presents me with a unique opportunity.

I would appreciate any route recommendations from anyone that's done this before.
Any points of interest that I should try to see if I take the loooooooong way home?
Any routes that I should avoid?

Thanks in advance.
I did a 50CC Quest last July and I had 10 days. I did mine westbound from Jacksonville to San Diego. I arrived SD about 4 PM. I slept there the left the next morning for the Bay Area. I rode back inland the took canyon roads to Temecula then the slab to the Bay Area. Spent the night there and left next morning for Lake Tahoe. That day the route took me through the El Dorado Forest. I think CA 88 was the road, great riding. Next day left Tahoe and took US 50 across NV and SW UT. Just into UT I got off 50 and headed SW to Cedar City. That was another great riding day. Overnighted in Cedar City then headed north to get on I-70. That day was about 900 miles to Colby, KS. Next day 70 to St. Charles near St. Louis. This two days I had to make distance and only saw I-70. Next day east of St. Louis I headed SW on I-55 to 24 to 40 and met a friend in Knoxville. Kebrider and his wife Donna showed me great back roads to 129 and we stopped at the store at Deals Gap. They headed home and I stopped for the night in Waynesville, NC. Next day I took my favorite roads home to Jacksonville. 9 days 6500 miles. I can give you the exact route/roads if you like. I only had 9 to 10 days and I took the opportunity to make a bucket list ride. While I passed up huge areas of the country because I simply had to get home on time I did ride great roads in CA, NV, and UT that I'd otherwise not see if not for the 42 hour 30 minute ride across the USA. The desert SW on I-10 and I-8 were worth seeing even at 75 mph as was UT and CO. I hope one day to take much longer time but I had what I had and made it work.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Several posts criticizing the OPs choice of riding without offering up anything helpful about what he asked.

Steve, it pretty much depends on what type of riding YOU like. Since you live in the SW and have pretty easy access to the deserts and canyons on any weekend, I'd suggest spending time in the southest and maybe working your way north. Maybe spend a day at an Atlantic beach resting up the tired muscles after the ride out. Not a lot to see on the eastern coast, but just inland you can have a lot of fun weaving in and out of the mountains. I would suggest weaving back and forth across the Blue Ridge Parkway. Do some research on what sections of the BRP are best, and hit some of the awesome roads near it- Cherohala Skyway, Tail of the Dragon, hit the Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Vallie, NC). Then take some twisty roads west across West Virginia.

What interests do you have? I'm a redneck at heart who likes old country music, so I would spend a day in Branson, MO, but most will laugh at that. Maybe hit the St. Louis Arch on your way through. Stay west if you want to see the plains. Locals find them extremely boring; as a New Englander who spent his life in the hills I found it quite interesting to see that much flat land. I wouldn't want to do it often, but I loved a ride across Kansas.

If that doesn't turn your crank, head south and wind through Arkansas. I hear there are some great roads to ride down there. Hit some old southern towns. Have some BBQ.

I hope to do a ride west this season, and will spend some time in the deserts and western mountains. The 50cc is a great way to get away from what you already know in a hurry, then you can ride back at your leisure. I'd probably do a 50cc out west then come back slow and easy, probably 400-800 miles a day with some stops at places I find interesting.

OP
OP
two_wheeled
Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
Several posts criticizing the OPs choice of riding without offering up anything helpful about what he asked.
I did post this in the Long Distance Riders Forum.... thought I'd be safe here. ;)

The 50cc is a great way to get away from what you already know in a hurry, then you can ride back at your leisure.
Exactly! That's what I'm hoping for and you articulated it well. I've grown up in AZ and covered most of the gorgeous southwest already. Time to branch out and see something new.

dduelin, I would very much appreciate seeing your routes. No hurry.
Thanks guys!

Bike
KTM Adv 1190 R
Hey Guys, great thread I know I'm revisiting it a bit later but would like to ask the opinion of some former 50CC riders.

What northern routes have you took to accomplish the 50CC Cert. ?

I did a few last year including the Trans Canada Quest, took this year off but already itching to go so planning 2016 - (B2BI in May and 50CC no date set)

Thanks for any input..

Bike
KTM Adv 1190 R
Being from Vancouver, I'm thinking from Seattle I'd go via I-94 E, I-90 E and I-80...2,900miles ish....

Where do people consider the finish line in NYC to be ?

Top Bottom