Valve and belt sticker shock

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Took my 2012 Monster 1100 EVO back to the dealer for 7.5k service, told them all I wanted done is belt change and valve check and adjust if needed. Then turn the service indicator off. I asked about how much, he says between $400- 500. Cool, by the time I bought tools and collets, etc. plus the hassle factor I would be close to that.

Got a call. He says two valves were tight and had to be adjusted, more shop time and parts.

$813.32 is the final price. I spent much, much less than this getting the valves on my VTEC VFR checked, no adjustment required.

Next time I am buying the stuff and doing it myself. I have a friend who has done valve adjust on a 2v any times, and will get his help.

I have been researching prices for the 7,500 service, so this does not came as a great surprise, and I have seen more expensive prices for what I had done-but still, a lot of $.

Ducatis are fun great bikes but you pay for that engine and that sound.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Not to hijack your thread, but more to add to your findings.

A (financially secure) buddy of mine had a Ducati 1098R (World superbike homologation bike). I was standing next to him as he picked it up from a very prominent southern California Ducati dealership, after having its' 7,500 mile service.

I'll never forget how calmly the pretty little girl behind the counter let these words flow from her lips, "That'll be eighteen-hundred and thirty-eight dollars."

:eek:

I stopped lusting for Ducati's at that very minute. :D

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
No idea how to adjust a Duc valve but on the VFR if no valves needed adjustment that would be a lot lower bill in itself. Check a valve 1 min once your in the engine, adjust a valve, maybe 30 minutes.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Took my 2012 Monster 1100 EVO back to the dealer for 7.5k service, told them all I wanted done is belt change and valve check and adjust if needed.
I had to do a web search to see if you were talking about a timing belt, and found that you were, yikes that's a short lifespan for the belt.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
We've done valves on three different Ducatis. It's not that difficult, no worse than my ST1300, but it is worth investing in a few specialized tools. If you haven't already, check out Desmo Times California Cycle Works for parts and tools. California Cycle Works has timing belts made under their house label, and they're much more reasonable than the OEM (and every bit as good.) Desmo Times has tools, parts, etc., and is a good source for technical information. (They also have a good shop manual for some of the models.) Valtermotousa has an EBay store with a lot of NOS items. If they have something you need, it's generally a real bargain. (Steve got his factory shop manual from them.)

OP
OP
jmcarruth
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
No idea how to adjust a Duc valve but on the VFR if no valves needed adjustment that would be a lot lower bill in itself. Check a valve 1 min once your in the engine, adjust a valve, maybe 30 minutes.
Not on a VTEC, a whole different animal from a pre 2002 model.

OP
OP
jmcarruth
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Not to hijack your thread, but more to add to your findings.

A (financially secure) buddy of mine had a Ducati 1098R (World superbike homologation bike). I was standing next to him as he picked it up from a very prominent southern California Ducati dealership, after having its' 7,500 mile service.

I'll never forget how calmly the pretty little girl behind the counter let these words flow from her lips, "That'll be eighteen-hundred and thirty-eight dollars."

:eek:

I stopped lusting for Ducati's at that very minute. :D
4V, liquid cooled Ducatis are much more complex and harder to work on than air cooled, 2V models, like mine. That is one reason I chose that model, simpler, lightweight, (398 lbs), 100 hp, plenty fast for me. My old 900ss/CR was even simpler because it had carbs.

OP
OP
jmcarruth
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
We've done valves on three different Ducatis. It's not that difficult, no worse than my ST1300, but it is worth investing in a few specialized tools. If you haven't already, check out Desmo Times California Cycle Works for parts and tools. California Cycle Works has timing belts made under their house label, and they're much more reasonable than the OEM (and every bit as good.) Desmo Times has tools, parts, etc., and is a good source for technical information. (They also have a good shop manual for some of the models.) Valtermotousa has an EBay store with a lot of NOS items. If they have something you need, it's generally a real bargain. (Steve got his factory shop manual from them.)
Thanks. I have been a Ducati owner for 9 years and CCW and Desmo Times are both top notch vendors. I always used CCW belts on my old 900ss/CR. Sold my LT Snyder book with the CR, need to get another one from him updated for the EVO along with some tools, shims and collets.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I had to do a web search to see if you were talking about a timing belt, and found that you were, yikes that's a short lifespan for the belt.
I was thinking the exact same... you need to change a TB at 7.5k miles?

OP
OP
jmcarruth
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
They are called "cam belts" but in reality, they are timing belts, two of them. The service interval is two years or 7.5 k miles, whichever comes first. They are very easy to change but expensive if bought OEM. If they break, bad, bad things happen.

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
They are called "cam belts" but in reality, they are timing belts, two of them. The service interval is two years or 7.5 k miles, whichever comes first. They are very easy to change but expensive if bought OEM. If they break, bad, bad things happen.
Understood... on any interference engine, a timing belt break is a disaster. Just surprised at the 7.5k change interval, that's about 1/10th of a normal TB change interval for cars or motorcycles, AFAIK. Perhaps they go around very small crank pulley?

OP
OP
jmcarruth
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
They each go around two approx. 2.5" toothed pulleys, tensioned by an idler, plus, they run at high temperatures since it is an air cooled engine.

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
There is a couple things at play with the Ducati's, the belts take the work of opening and closing the valves as compared to a normal engine where the belt does half of the work because of the valve springs. Although you don't have spring tension to deal with on the Duc's. Also the 7500 miles is on the conservative side, if a belt breaks, the piston gets damage along with the valve and everything that drives it.
It costs extra to be able to crank an engine past 15,000 RPM.

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
There is a couple things at play with the Ducati's, the belts take the work of opening and closing the valves as compared to a normal engine where the belt does half of the work because of the valve springs. Although you don't have spring tension to deal with on the Duc's. Also the 7500 miles is on the conservative side, if a belt breaks, the piston gets damage along with the valve and everything that drives it.
Those are good points Dave. Thanks.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
The Japanese 600s have been revving in the 15k-16k range for years on traditional valve spring heads. I haven't checked lately, they could be even higher.

Also, FWIW, the OP's Ducati redlines at 8500RPM.

It costs extra if you want "Style, Sophistication, and Performance" and it always has.

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
The Japanese 600s have been revving in the 15k-16k range for years on traditional valve spring heads. I haven't checked lately, they could be even higher.

It costs extra if you want "Style, Sophistication, and Performance" and it always has.
Heck, my ST11 redlines at 8000 RPM.

OP
OP
jmcarruth
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #

Actually, the rev limiter kicks in at about 8k RPM, which is ok since the desirable power range is way below that. The thing is an absolute blast to ride on technical roads.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Like my friend says that enjoys his Porsches, Ducatis, Moto Guzzis, and BMWs..... "you have to pay to play".

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
When you agree to marry an Italian supermodel, you know she's going to be expensive to keep! :D

TPadden

Tom Padden
The actual change interval is at 15K (http://www.incredirides.com/schedules/ducati_multistrada1100s.pdf) and they only cost $85 for both (http://www.incredirides.com/schedules/ducati_multistrada1100s.pdf) ......
( https://ca-cycleworks.com/products/maintenance/timing-belts )
I, like many others check the belts for wear and leave them in for at least 30K. That said, unlike other bikes, the belts are EASILY accessible, setting tension is also easier ..... changing them can be done in less than 15 minutes including looking for your cup of coffee that you put down somewhere :).

Last edited:
Top Bottom