Valve and belt sticker shock

OP
OP
jmcarruth
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
The actual change interval is at 15K (http://www.incredirides.com/schedules/ducati_multistrada1100s.pdf) and they only cost $85 for both (http://www.incredirides.com/schedules/ducati_multistrada1100s.pdf) ......
( https://ca-cycleworks.com/products/maintenance/timing-belts )
I, like many others check the belts for wear and leave them in for at least 30K. That said, unlike other bikes, the belts are EASILY accessible, setting tension is also easier ..... changing them can be done in less than 15 minutes including looking for your cup of coffee that you put down somewhere :).
The belt change interval on a Monster 1100EVO is 15k miles OR 24 months, whichever comes first. Mine were 6 months overdue, and might have gone many more years and miles, don't know. I have seen what a slipped or broken belt can result in and I choose to follow Ducati's schedule.

+1 re: CCW belts, and I have used them in the past. They are about 1/2 the price of OEM, and just as good.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Like my friend says that enjoys his Porsches, Ducatis, Moto Guzzis, and BMWs..... "you have to pay to play".
Speaking of that, I pulled up behind a late model Lambo coming home from work tonight, I'm sure he's familiar with that slogan.

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
Speaking of that, I pulled up behind a late model Lambo coming home from work tonight, I'm sure he's familiar with that slogan.
A starter change on a old Lambo Countach was a 40 hour job iirc. and the starter in the 80's was $800. But, if you knew what you were up to, you could get it in and out in half the hours, and if you just sent it out for a rebuild they would think it was a Big Block Chevy starter and charge you $39.
Was watching Naked Speed last night on my DVR and some guy in FL dropped $150,000 in parts to make a Cafe Racer Duc from a late 80's 900SS.

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
These stories reinforce my preference for the Metric bikes that I own. Thanks to John for posting this as it keeps me in line and prevents straying into other makes.

My Harley was an exercise in constant maintenance and break downs, but that is not even a comparison to a Ducati. Exotic, high end bikes like Ducatis and BMWs suggest or require more maintenance than I am willing to invest in. While I love the looks and sounds of the exotics, I am more than satisfied with my metrics. I often forego suggested valve checks if no unusual noises emanate from the engine as it is really rare that I need to make adjustments on the Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha.

Even my GasGas was a pain to maintain if I followed the owner's manual closely. I do enough mechanic work with my business - I would rather ride than wrench.

TPadden

Tom Padden
These stories reinforce my preference for the Metric bikes that I own. Thanks to John for posting this as it keeps me in line and prevents straying into other makes.

My Harley was an exercise in constant maintenance and break downs, but that is not even a comparison to a Ducati. Exotic, high end bikes like Ducatis and BMWs suggest or require more maintenance than I am willing to invest in. While I love the looks and sounds of the exotics, I am more than satisfied with my metrics. I often forego suggested valve checks if no unusual noises emanate from the engine as it is really rare that I need to make adjustments on the Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha.

Even my GasGas was a pain to maintain if I followed the owner's manual closely. I do enough mechanic work with my business - I would rather ride than wrench.
My Italian, English, and German bikes don't get anymore maintenance or have maintenance costs any higher than the Japanese bikes I've owned. There is a certain liberation when you reach an age (and you are about there) that you realize with only changing oil, tires, and riding, while only fixing things that break: there probably isn't a motorcycle manufactured today that won't outlive you. It does help if you stay on pavement though :).

I've been called many things, but it's a good bet that wrench isn't one of them :D.

Top Bottom