Lower rear shock

Bike
98 Honda ST1100
I am looking for a lower shock for my st1100. Can some one give some info and links for this item? Or would someone have a used one for sale. Is there a lowering kit I can get instead? Thanks early for any help.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a lower shock, nor is there a lowering kit. How tall, or short, are you? Some people have altered their seats to get closer to the ground.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
My wife is 5'4" and we modified her seat. The bike came with a ratted out Corbin and we had 2 1/2" cut out and narrowed it slightly. There are way to many issues in my opinion when trying to lower an ST1100.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Some after-market shocks like Wilbers do come/can be ordered with height adjustment... not more then a few mm though, as such will change suspension geometrics (fork length must be adjusted accordingly), one might face issues when placing the bike on side or main stand, and also the ground clearance is lowered/less leaning angle avail...

In total a seat lowering is the easier and less complicated way...

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
I am looking for a lower shock for my st1100. Can some one give some info and links for this item? Or would someone have a used one for sale. Is there a lowering kit I can get instead? Thanks early for any help.

I have just what you need. I picked up an ST1100 with a Travelcade Seat made for a much shorter person, I'm 6"4" and I looked and felt ridiculous riding with that seat, It would be perfect for a Shorter rider. Also along with the Bike came a works Pro racer shock with a spacer or shim that drops the rear about an inch. It was sent to Works for modification and then left in the Box and not used. I mounted it on the bike and it does give me a low rider feeling, rides nicely but again too short for me. Let me know if you are interested and I can shoot you some pictures.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I also mounted 60 series tires that lowered it a little more. You will have to have the kickstand shortened.
What's it like to get it on the center stand? And how much lower was the bike (not counting seat height unless the factory seat was unmodified)?

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
What's it like to get it on the center stand? And how much lower was the bike (not counting seat height unless the factory seat was unmodified)?
I can tell you it's harder to get it onto the center stand with the lower profile tire, The Stock Tire should be 160/70 but when I mounted a 170-60 it became noticeably harder to get her up. It almost made me want to roll the rear tire onto a 2x4 first.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
By the way here is a photo the compare my Corbin dual Canyon and the Travelcade.
I think the Seat was customized to bring the Rider closer to the Bars and Pegs.Travelcade vs Corbin Canyon 768.jpg

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
You can also do some surgery on a seat to remove some foam, thus lowering the ride height for your inseam. There was a gal a few years back who posted doing that and it worked well for her. You may loose some long distance comfort but maybe not.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I either have someone pull or put the tire on a block of wood. I would like to lower the center stand too, but I don't know how much to shorten it. The shock shortened it about an inch and 1/4, and the 60 series tire just under 1/2 inch. I need every bit of it with my Russell.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I need every bit of it with my Russell.
A 2x6 with the ends mitered and some sort of non-skid treatment on the bottom might make that a one-man job. Maybe you could get a cobbler to add an extra sole to your riding shoes or boots.

Once you got the bike lowered to a point you can deal with measuring the height of the block needed to get the bike on the stand more easily would probably be the amount you need to shorten the stands. But math was never my strong suit. LOL

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Doing any type of this lowering you will start to have issues with the side stand. I ran 60 series tires and had issues parking because the side stand was to long. Went back to factory spec tire sizes and cut down the seat.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Maybe you could get a cobbler to add an extra sole to your riding shoes or boots.
I have a pair of Daytona M-Star boots and added a one inch insole. The Russell took me about 2 inches higher than the Corbin, but the Corbin is about an inch lower than stock. I can flat foot it now, but it will probably get better when the wings break in again.

If you are fairly close on height, the boots and insole raise you up with fewer complications with the side stand and center stand.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I'm curious to know how many people here that can't "flat foot it" are wanting BOTH feet on the ground when they stop? I know that virtually every Harley, or other metric cruiser rider I see, always put two feet down, as though they never learned how to stop with one foot. One foot down SHOULD solve most short legged guys problems.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I'm curious to know how many people here that can't "flat foot it" are wanting BOTH feet on the ground when they stop?
Depending where you have to stop (up/downward slope, gravel, gusty winds, etc...) and/or if I'm solo or with pillion...
There moments and situations where the Middleton Parking Brake(TM) plus having both feet down are providing a lot of comfort...
Not only the safety aspects but nothing more embarrassing then like making an elegant, cool and smooth one foot down stop at the pay tool booth of a neat mountain road, like 20 other bikes behind and just while fumbling out your valet, your pillion suddenly thinks that practising some new camera positions back there could be the brilliant idea... leading to a slow motion scene of +700lbs bike & gear starting to tilt into the booth window, scaring the crap out the PYT in there... uoops!!! :eek: :lol:

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Depending where you have to stop (up/downward slope, gravel, gusty winds, etc...) and/or if I'm solo or with pillion...
Well of course, I will give you that. There are the odd times when one wants both feet down, but for the vertically challenged, which I know you are not Martin, sliding forward on the seat and standing works there as well. I think that 99% of the stops made - and, most importantly, paying attention to the surface where you are about to put your foot down - can easily be done with one foot down. It's all about balance, something taught at m/c training schools and if you can master one foot down every time, you will be a better rider. JMnotsoHO.:D

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Chuck, two years ago I installed a Wilbers lowering shock on my ST1300, (made for a ST1300), bought it from a guy who was trading his 1300 on a HD. It looked like new in the box for $200.
It lowered the bike 2 1/2 inches and I lowered the triple tree 1/2 inch.It came with a shortened side stand as well.I've put 20K miles on the bike since, lots of twisties including the Dragon Tail with no changes in handling or riding. I have a 29 in inseam and can set on the bike with both feet flat on the ground. Downside...i need to push the bike up on a piece of 2 x 6 x 12'' in order to put the center stand down. If you have someone to help lift you don't need the 2 x 6. Hope this helps.
Stew

wilbers 2 (2656 x 1494).jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...something taught at m/c training schools and if you can master one foot down every time, you will be a better rider.
In m/c trainings you learn and practice to always use both brakes, thus stopping is always left foot down...
And as for the balance part: you'll also learn that you always have both feet on the pegs while in motion; quite contrary to the cool traffic light take-off by supersports wannabes, dragging one foot behind for like half a mile, which looks sooo awkward... :D

The most skilled start and stop technique I'd observed ever, was done by a Portuguese motorcycle mechanic, not taller then like 5'3"...
He was standing left of the ST, put it in 1st, placed left foot on peg, and once the clutch engaged he threw his right leg over the saddle and was gone...
His stopping was even more spectacular, grabbing the brakes, once the bike shrieked to a halt, he simply jumped off to stand left of the bike... both feet on the ground there... :shock:
Seems if there is a will, there is a way... ;-)

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
He was standing left of the ST, put it in 1st, placed left foot on peg, and once the clutch engaged he threw his right leg over the saddle and was gone...
Well, there's one level of riding skill that I don't plan to try to master! :eek:

Top Bottom