Went down yesterday

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
Of all the ways I've heard of accidents, never would I have imagined I would go down like this.

Picture an old town's square where the parking spaces are angled toward the store fronts on the street. I was parked in one of those and had just put my helmet on. I was just about to rock it off of the center stand when a vehicle (don't know what kind, black is all I know) came flying in and hit me from the back right quarter. It spun my bike clockwise and spun me counter clockwise. I was thrown into the front of his car and his bumper drove me into the SUV in the space to the left of me. It pinned me between the two cars with the weight of his car on my head and chest. I couldn't breathe until he pull back off and I fell face first to the ground.

I laid there face down trying to take stock of the damages on my body. Careful not to move in case of spinal injury. I was in intense pain and thought my right femur was surely broken and possibly my pelvis. My ears, nose, and lip were bleeding as well as an 8" gash on my left cheek. I can say that if I had not had my helmet on, I would be dead. My helmet was crushed. I assume the face shield is what cut my face.

When they rolled me over the blood started running into my eyes so I never did see what hit me or my bike. I caught a quick glimpse of the SUV and its side was caved in.

I was released late last night from the hospital where I walked out. My leg and hip are severely bruised but I'm intact with no internal injuries. I was ATTGAT and don't have a mark anywhere on my body excluding my face and head. My helmet is toast but saved my life.

Now, recovering the bike and the insurance fun......

Edit: The gash on my face is not as bad as originally thought (I measured it, just under 5 inches).

I went back to the scene and found some witnesses. All are unsure what the driver was doing but said he flew into that spot and ran me over. They said 3 guys made the driver back up and the 3 drug me free. I don't remember that at all, so I guess I was unconscious for a bit. All I remember was not being able to inhale, thinking "I guess this is it" and asking God to forgive my sins. Then I could breathe again. One witness sent me this pic:

2_17_2015.jpg
I'm lying on the ground here just after being pulled away from the vehicles. The taller of the two guys in this pic is Sam. He was very helpful and called my ICE contacts and my employer.

And a selfie:

Selfie.jpg

Update:
I got the police report today. It turns out that he wasn't parking and was doing about 30. The street is a 2 lane/2 way street so there shouldn't have been 2 cars side by side on this street. He (driver 1) was attempting to pass a guy (driver 2) on the right. That guy (driver 2) was about to enter the open parking spot to my right. Driver 1 glanced off of driver 2 and plowed into me slamming me into the car to my left. It makes total sense now. I would've never guessed there was another car involved.

accident diagram.jpg

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Oh my. Glad you are healing.

Did the guy that hit you stick around or run? What was his/her story?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I was just about to rock it off of the center stand when a vehicle (don't know what kind, black is all I know) came flying in and hit me from the back right quarter.
Damn!! Getting run over while being stationary in a parking sport, just un_F_believable... was the driver of that dark car blind or boozed up...??!!!

Hope you recover soon...

And that this moron behind the wheel faces some serious charges...

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
You are a lucky man to walk away. Expect a couple of months to heal up to the point where you don't hurt somewhere. Take Care.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Congrats on your survival!

The perp stayed around?
I hope so!

Heal well,
Mark

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Wow! Glad to hear you made it through. ATGATT shows it's value once again.

Bike can be replaced.
Idiot inattentive car-drivers will always be around.

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Holy cow, Joe!! VERY glad you're OK! Thank heavens you were ATGATT!
Take it easy for a bit, be kind to your body and good luck with the insurance circus.

Patty

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Dang Joe. Glad to hear you're OK and able to post this. You know I'm close by so don't hesitate to contact me if you need anything.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
I am amazed that anyone can be that distracted parking a vehicle in a lot. I am glad you are OK and hope the insurance company takes care of you and the bike. I always park at the outer limits of a parking spot thinking it will keep something like that from happening to my bike while I'm going about my business. Never occurred to me that someone would hit me while I was still on the bike. Again, glad you're OK.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I am amazed that anyone can be that distracted parking a vehicle in a lot. I am glad you are OK and hope the insurance company takes care of you and the bike. I always park at the outer limits of a parking spot thinking it will keep something like that from happening to my bike while I'm going about my business. Never occurred to me that someone would hit me while I was still on the bike. Again, glad you're OK.
At the moment we don't have any details on the person that hit Joe so could be one of any number of issues...

Here's a video CNN showed yesterday related to an elderly person in a parking lot... pretty scary.

[video=youtube;nUR6420XCfY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bREVUUE9kko[/video]

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Holy Mackerel!
The driver must think he (no judging here! :) ) the Energizer Bunny! He just keeps going and going!

Texas or Florida?
:D

Edit:
DOH! 92 year old man in Wisconsin!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Holy Mackerel!
The driver must think he (no judging here! :) ) the Energizer Bunny! He just keeps going and going!

Texas or Florida?
:D

Edit:
DOH! 92 year old man in Wisconsin!
Yup, just edited the video w/new report video..

Top Bottom