What is the BEST GPS for my ST????

troystr68

Troyster
I need and WANT one, I want it to be waterproof and visible,
I already have an outlet in the right box if I need to plug is in.
but I have NO CLUE what's good or not I have never seen or used any of them
I do have an Iphone now that has worked perfectly for Car trips but want one JUST for my ST all suggestions are greatly appreciated
Thanks everyone!!

RCS

I do have an Iphone now that has worked perfectly for Car trips but want one JUST for my ST all suggestions are greatly appreciated
Thanks everyone!!
Shazam...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXCELLENT-Garmin-2720-GPS-Motorcycle-Streetpilot-Waterproof-Touchscreen-Tablet-/361214079664?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item541a0972b0

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Is the 2720 even supported anymore? Can you get map updates? I would go with something else even if its a car GPS that you can cover with a baggie or get a waterproof case for. But Ideally a MC specific GPS is the way to go but they are expensive.

OP
OP
troystr68

troystr68

Troyster
Money is not an option I just want my bike all set up for the season with EVERYTHING it needs and THIS is one of them
I don't want baggies or duct tape I want it to work well, look good, and be reliable for MANY years to come
Garmin was the only ones I saw to this point and YES they are expensive thus why I am asking all you CRAZT ST OWNERS :)

RCS

Is the 2720 even supported anymore? Can you get map updates? I would go with something else even if its a car GPS that you can cover with a baggie or get a waterproof case for. But Ideally a MC specific GPS is the way to go but they are expensive.
Mine works great and have been using it over the last 50,000 miles. Never felt the need to update the software as the roads do not change that often. Points of interest do change often but I do not use them much at all. So, I do not know if there is an upgrade. Very good value for the dollar on this model and it is a Garmin. $400+ left over buys more gas and tires - your biggest expense with this motorcycle.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Thanks everyone!!
You are going to get a lot of opinions here. I personally run a Garmin Nuvi 500 mounted with RAM accessories and a hardwired power source. It is a simple, waterproof model that has been discontinued along with its brother, the Nuvi 550. Good luck finding one of these for less than $220 used. Apparently they are in high demand. Next step would be a Garmin Zumo series. Probably what you want. I like my GPS simple, reliable and readable.

Bike
2010 ST1300
You are going to get a lot of opinions here. I personally run a Garmin Nuvi 500 mounted with RAM accessories and a hardwired power source. It is a simple, waterproof model that has been discontinued along with its brother, the Nuvi 550. Good luck finding one of these for less than $220 used. Apparently they are in high demand. Next step would be a Garmin Zumo series. Probably what you want. I like my GPS simple, reliable and readable.
There are 2 on ebay right now (2/18/15, 4:45 EST), and one ends in 5 hours.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
I have had the 2720 on my other bike for 7-8 years and have had NO issues. It would be on my ST1300 but it came with a zumo 350 on it. (Wow, I just looked on eBay and those things are selling for almost $500!) I don't think the 350 is that much better than the 2720. In fact, one of the things that really bugs me about the 350 is typing in a word or address. It splits the alphabet into 3 screens. For example one tab lets you use letters A-H, another tab I-P, and another Q-Z. So to spell a word you have to flip back and forth between 3 screens most of the time...it's a pain!

Bike
'03 ST1300 ABS
Very happy with my Garmin Z?mo 660. It's great for motorcycle riding, easy to program a specific route off the beaten path or export a trail from Google maps you can follow.
You get decent mounts and wiring for hard-wiring it into the bike. Perfect with the migsel mount on the dashboard. I also use it regularly in rental cars on business trips. The new model has lifetime map updates, so one more benefit.

However, if you want to use the same GPS for hiking or bicycling, you are better off with more universal garmins...

Mine works great and have been using it over the last 50,000 miles. Never felt the need to update the software as the roads do not change that often. Points of interest do change often but I do not use them much at all. So, I do not know if there is an upgrade. Very good value for the dollar on this model and it is a Garmin. $400+ left over buys more gas and tires - your biggest expense with this motorcycle.
Yes! Agree 100%....although many won't and that's ok.
The OP might want to figure out what exactly he wants this gps to do. My smartphone is rated as one of the best....but ask me if I know half of what it can do. It's ability exceeds my knowledge or need.
Sounds as though a bike oriented gps is what you are needing though....waterproof. Tomtom and Garmin both make them....as well as the suggestion made by Uncle Phil. Make a list of what you WANT it to do and I bet the gps techies in here can further narrow it down for you.

Last edited:

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Almost an oil type thread here....

But, Ive been running a Garmin 760 for many years now... similar ones are in the range of $150 with lifetime maps. But not water proof.

For me, I can buy 3+ of them before I'm over the high end price of the 550-650 models. A cheaper option is a water proof container. I put mine either in my pocket or in the high quality magnetic tank map pocket ( which I think ran about $25 ). It still works fine.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Almost an oil type thread here....

But, Ive been running a Garmin 760 for many years now... similar ones are in the range of $150 with lifetime maps. But not water proof.

For me, I can buy 3+ of them before I'm over the high end price of the 550-650 models. A cheaper option is a water proof container. I put mine either in my pocket or in the high quality magnetic tank map pocket ( which I think ran about $25 ). It still works fine.
You are right as well! I have a Garmin 250 that I've had for over 7 years thats gone through 2 bikes, and is not waterproof, but has gone through wind, rain, dust and heat and sun and is STILL ticking! I bought it for about $120 from tiger diret as a refurb...still going strong!!

Bike
2005 ST 1300
I use the Garmin 60CSX and my phone and as a larger screen and for different information I use a Garmin Nuvi, its an easy way to find gas, motels, food, its a nice screen although the maps are outdated. You can never have too many gps's lol

b4f75ce7.jpg

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Really depends on what you want the unit to do. If your planning on any type of communication or extra features, selecting the right GPS is important.
I work in Elgin and live in Bartlett. If your interested, I can give you some ideas for the short and long term.

Bike
ST1300 Pan
If money is no object, you'll end up with either a TomTom or Garmin, the version will be down to YOUR personal preference. Look at the specs of both side by side, decide which features you want, which you dont need/want and your decision is made.

As unbiased as I can make it.

Cheers

Top Bottom