Anyone ever use Bondic to repair ST plastic?

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Bike
2003 ST1300A
The JB Weld Plastic is a putty, it has 2 different components and cut it like a sausage. wear plastic goves and knead it together then spread over crack, etc..

I roughed up the back of the plastic with fine sandpaper. It dries hard and can be be sanded, etc.
I have a crack in the right side panel and in the spring will be using this.
Dale

OP
OP
jonz
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I will probably be using one of the repair methods mentioned here. I made the mistake of trying to remove my ST1100 left side cover today in subzero (F) temps. The 3 nubs that push into the rubber grommets were stuck and I cracked the brittle cover in 2 places.

Ray
The Plastex repair kit works great on thin pieces of plastic, better than epoxy imho. But this Bondic starter kit is pretty darn compact and I'm thinking it may be superior to epoxy for some repairs. I do carry either Quick Steel or the JBWeld putty on my dirt bike/dual sport rides in case of a cracked case, and I could probably just get by with that for plastic repair on the ST. I didn't know about Superglue and baking soda. I may have to learn how to ask for baking soda in Spanish.

OP
OP
jonz
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
According to google translate:
baking soda = bicarbonato de sosa
glue = pegamento
cyanoacrylate = cianoacrilato

I couldn't get anything else for super glue from google

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use super glue and baking soda (glue it together then dump the baking soda over it) many times. Just don't touch it for a while as it gets extremely hot. If you want 'pretty', dump the baking soda on the back side of the part. I've glued the nubs on my ST1100's side panels and they work fine. When I was in Ireland out in the country, I found them in a small village grocery store so I could repair a busted saddlebag on a VFR1200.

http://www.unclephil.us/Ireland2010Day04.htm

We repaired a mirror cover in a bunch of pieces with it in Yellowstone and never had a problem. The nubs were broken off, the cover was shattered, put it all back together and snapped it in place and rode 5,000+ miles to finish the trip.

http://www.unclephil.us/West2009Day05.htm

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
Most parts are ABS, so ABS cement is the obvious choice. It contains a solvent and suspended ABS solids, so it makes a true welded repair.

Bike
2006 ST
I've had great luck with West Coast Epoxy on fairing mounting points, etc, I rough the wounded area up with a Dremel first.

mi1300

Mike
Bike
2007 ST1300A
We had some Bondic floating around and tried it for various things. It works well if both surfaces are sufficiently scuffed, and the stuff is very strong. having said that, I would not use it on my bike. when it lets go, there is no warning, it just pops off, so I wouldn't want to see that happen on body panels. for around the house stuff, absolutely great.

OP
OP
jonz
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
We had some Bondic floating around and tried it for various things. It works well if both surfaces are sufficiently scuffed, and the stuff is very strong. having said that, I would not use it on my bike. when it lets go, there is no warning, it just pops off, so I wouldn't want to see that happen on body panels. for around the house stuff, absolutely great.
Perfect. just the kind of real world info I was looking for. Thanks

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Perfect. just the kind of real world info I was looking for. Thanks
Hey Jeff, I had a side cover pin snap off years ago. I repaired it with fiberglass epoxy and mesh like you use for boat repair, and it held for many years, then started to peel loose. I gave it another hit with either PVC or epoxy glue and its still holding strong. Since you mentioned taking it on the road, the epoxy based glues are strong, but need a long cure time. I've never tried the superglue/baking soda trick though, not sure how fast that sets up.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've never tried the superglue/baking soda trick though, not sure how fast that sets up.
Pretty quick - usually a matter of minutes. That's why you use gel so you have a little bit of 'adjustment time'. But once you dump the soda on it, it's where it is going to be if you don't touch it. ;-)

OP
OP
jonz
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Hey Jeff, I had a side cover pin snap off years ago. I repaired it with fiberglass epoxy and mesh like you use for boat repair, and it held for many years, then started to peel loose. I gave it another hit with either PVC or epoxy glue and its still holding strong. Since you mentioned taking it on the road, the epoxy based glues are strong, but need a long cure time. I've never tried the superglue/baking soda trick though, not sure how fast that sets up.
I've used the Plastex repair kit with great results and have done similar repairs with that. I've never had a Plastex repair fail. The Bondic was a little more compact and seemed like it would be better to carry along on the road. I think I'll rely on the superglue/baking soda concoction for repairs on the road.

Top Bottom