TCS problem

Bike
ST1100AS
Hi guyz, I've got a 1995 ST1100AS and the ABS packed up due to a siezed rear modulator so I've disconnected the system so no lights flash &c, but now the TCS has packed up. Can I disconnect the system to get rid of the red light or just snip the wire.

Daz

Canterbury, UK

Bike
Vstrom 650
I disabled the abs and tcs on my bike because the rear crank angle sensor is gone but I haven't decided whether to bother fixing it yet,the combined brakes are very good as they are, how will you get around the mot test if the abs/isn't working?

OP
OP
darren10000
Bike
ST1100AS
I had the ABS modulators ripped out so if it isn't there it's not in the test, if the ABS equipment is on the bike it has to work. The ABS system was removed by a Honda dealer as the part isn't manufactured anymore so I presume it'll be ok. The tcs packed up yesterday in the rain plus I was 2 up on the bike and she was nearly grounding out as both the pillion and I are fat bastads so it might have knackered the rear sensor by having too much weight on the bike, dunno ? As for the MOT, the guy I use is a friend and my bikes always pass ;)

Bike
Vstrom 650
As for the MOT, the guy I use is a friend and my bikes always pass
I've always been a bit suspicious of the mot certs:) I don't understand how the traction control could have worked at all with the modulators ripped out,Martin might chime in here,he knows a lot more about ST's than I do,
and they still manufacture all the parts if you wanted to repair the abs system,but they are so expensive it likely wouldn't make sense.
If your grounding out 2 up maybe the shock is on the way out.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I pulled the fuses to disable the system. Sorry if I missed it being mentioned already.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The ABS system was removed by a Honda dealer...
Well, in your OP you mentioned "...I've disconnected the system..." which reads as having disconnected the controller... :shrug2:
The tcs packed up yesterday in the rain plus I was 2 up on the bike and she was nearly grounding out as both the pillion and I are fat bastads...
More like the rider is just too lazy to adjust the rear shock/pre-load accordingly... ;-)
Likely a wheel sensor gone bad, but such isn't related to payload, lack of care while removing/installing the wheels however is contributing...
By the book one should first remove the sensor and tug it away, then loosen the axle bolts, etc...
Only after installing the wheel/s the sensor gets placed back on its bracket, but never without checking/adjusting its proper clearance to the sensor ring...

OP
OP
darren10000
Bike
ST1100AS
No, the rider weighs about 30 stone from eating to many pies! Which fuses are the ones to pull out then? The tcs did still work with the mods removed as it is controlled from the ECU from what I can gather in the manual. All I want to know is if it's ok to cut the wire or disconnect something to kill the red light as I'm not really fussed about not having traction control, I've got it in my car but on a bike!?

Last edited:
Bike
Vstrom 650
I thought the traction control wouldn't work when the abs isn't working,I rem someone on here saying that? anyway traction control and abs are no big deal for me on the ST, the combined brakes to me are as good as abs and I tend to ride the ST a lot more civilised than the vfr:)
Jes 30 stone mate,you are fond of the pies:D maybe get a heavy duty shock,either way that stocker won't last carrying those loads for long.

OP
OP
darren10000
Bike
ST1100AS
Right I think i know whats happened but not how...the gap between the sensor and pulser ring which should be 0.8mm is 0.15mm, how this has happened i dunno. I undid the bolts holding the sensor but the damn thing won't budge so i can't adjust the gap to 0.8mm. Any ideas guyz :)

Bike
Vstrom 650
We had a tool the time we worked in London that was great for jobs like that,we called it an American screwdriver:)

Bike
Vstrom 650
What, a big Hammer :)
Yep:)that's the one, sorry I can't offer any real advice but no doubt you'll find the answer on here, I must check is the traction control still working on my own bike sometime when this weather eases up,suppose it will be easy to check on some loose gravel,the part that is gone is the rear modulator crank angle sensor,it can be bought separately for about 170 euros,but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle,the brakes are fine as they are,and since we don't have any bike mot over here there isn't a problem with the abs being there and not working,not sure how that would play out with an insurance company in the event of an accident though.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Mine passed the MOT last week sans ABS. I'm off work this Thu/Fri so I'll either have a crack at fitting a 2nd hand modulator or take it in somewhere to have it fitted. I'm just nervous around the insurance implications of not having it work.

Paul

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
Never snip wires!
... so it might have knackered the rear sensor by having too much weight on the bike, dunno ? ...
Right I think i know whats happened but not how...the gap between the sensor and pulser ring which should be 0.8mm is 0.15mm, how this has happened i dunno. I undid the bolts holding the sensor but the damn thing won't budge so i can't adjust the gap to 0.8mm. Any ideas guyz :)
The rear sensor is corroded in place; it happened to me, too. I used penetrating oil; then gently tapped its base to get it to rotate just a bit in its socket; that breaks the hold of the rust; and I eventually got it out.

First, there is a switch on the left inner fairing to turn TCS off; that makes a yellow indicator light "TCS Off" turn on. (Maybe that will kill the blinking red.)

The controller for the TCS is integral with the Ignition Control Module and separate from the ABS control module. (Neither module goes bad in my experience.)

Try adjusting that gap.
Put some black tape over the blinking red light as a last resort.

Finally, do not pitch out ABS components; they are way too dear!
... Sensors are very expensive - ?200 rings a bell....
Used, they can be much less than that.
I pulled the fuses to disable the system....
Those fuses are in the smaller of the two fuse boxes; don't know the details though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
darren10000
Bike
ST1100AS
The prob I had with the abs was the rear modulator siezed so we ripped out both mods and the TCS still worked ok, I've just pulled the plug on the red light and all seems normal. with regard to insurance probs, as there was originally a non abs/tcs model and if there is no abs equipment ie. the mods, you can say it's been converted. I replaced the brake lines with a steel goodridges from the rear cylinder to the rear calliper and a single to the front left and a crossover to the right front callipers and all ok. If you are unlucky enough to have a smash I don't think the loss adjuster would pick up on the ABS not being present providing the work has been done to a professional standard. The only quiestion I had was that the main ECU has 2 8 bit systems, one controlling the ignition system and the second acting as the traction control system, what I was concerned about was if the TCS system went down could it lead to problems with the main Ignition circuits, looking at the architecture of the micro-controller I think there is a third sub-system acting as a redundancy which is very advanced for 1990 design!!!

Last edited:

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
I had the ABS modulators ripped out so if it isn't there, it's not in the test; if the ABS equipment is on the bike, it has to work. The ABS system was removed by a Honda dealer as the part isn't manufactured anymore, so I presume it'll be ok. ...
Your ABS was designed so that if it is not working properly, the bike in question just reverts to standard disk brakes. There is no safety hazard involved.
If I understand it correctly, there are tons of cars with non-functioning ABS that are perfectly safe to drive.

If the MOTT doesn't pass such vehicles, then it is clearly the MOTT that is defective, IMO.

The modulator was probably the failed ABS component. It could have been repaired. It sounds as if the dealer who removed your ABS probably kept all those valuable parts, thus ripping you off.

Sorry, I am deeply saddened to see the best bike brakes Honda ever built treated in the manner you describe. (There is good reason why Honda painted your front calipers with gold coloured paint.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
darren10000
Bike
ST1100AS
The Honda dealer told me that the ABS mod was unservicable and parts for it are not available for pre 95 bikes!!! The TCS Activator light keeps coming on and cutting the engine out which is really annoying as it nearly killed me earlier as pulled out of junction and the TCS Active light came on and the Engine started spluttering and backfiring and then the TCS OFF is lit. is there a way of physically removing this system as I know it is built into the ECU. If I were to pull the plug on the rear sensor would it stop the lights flashing on and the ignition cutting out as I'm seriously beginning to regret buying this Bike and will have to go back to riding my Triumph.

Last edited:
Top Bottom