Jackets Old Jackets

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Maybe it is just me, but it seems that some of the "new and improved " apparel and accessories out there are a step backward.

I bought a Cortech 3/4 jacket on closeout about 10 years ago for $120 and it has been the most versatile and comfortable winter jacket I have ever owned. My buddy bought one too, and he agrees. The same with the old style overpants, I wish I had bought three pair. The newer stuff with all of its liners, bells and whistles is just not as comfortable and user friendly. Plus, sizing is always an issue unless you try on in a store.

Ebay is your friend for riding gear, lots of good, nearly new stuff out there cheap.

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I agree, I'm sized right between a medium and a large. I just purchased an Alpinestars Gunner from Motorcyclegear.com and had to send back the medium. I like the jacket though..........but that said, my favorite jacket is the leather Fieldsheer I got in 1997. It's still my go to.

Bike
2010 ST1300
For the life of me, I don't understand how people buy clothes online. Or shoes!!!!! I have to try something on or be willing to pay return postage unless I will spring for it.

Recently I ordered Aerostitch's vaunted tan riding glove. The description sounds so perfect. I talked with the salesperson and did their measuring thing. The fingers were too long and flapped on the brake and clutch levers when I moved my hand. I tried another pair. They were too tight (fingers were still too long). I paid for shipping back and got my money refunded. They paid for returning the gloves in the swap sizes try. What a waste of money and resources.

As for new is not as good as old, I second that. Lets face it. We are getting older and like earlier styles. A lot of fashion is flash and sizzle. How can you improve on a pair of pants? You can change the pockets, add pleats, or armor, but there are not many changes you can make. If you want the good old stuff, you will, I think, have to go custom or buy used (old). Now you have the problem of getting the size right the first time.

Last edited:

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I for one am glad that I can't fit in my leather riding jacket from the 1980s. Gortex, venting and just more overall comfort are my reasons. I had a Joe Rocket textile jacket from the late 1990s and it had armour in the back that may have been designed to torture rather than protect, I ended up removing it because I just could not get comfortable and it only protected from light showers anything more for 10 or 15 minutes and you where wet.

Gerhard

Top Bottom