My exhaust is blowing

Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
Hi Folks

Well my MOT test is due next month so had the bike on the ramp today for some tlc, I was removing the R/H side panel and lent on the exhaust silencer.......that feels a bit loose! must be the exhaust clamp, on closer inspection the silencer has a weld about two inch above where it joins the middle box, the pipe has split almost all the way round.

Glad I caught it in time, ive a TIG box at work so re welded with stainless filler rod and refitted, happy days.

Was wondering if the bracket that the exhaust bolts to being plastic and flexible was the culprit, to be fair the exhaust was fitted about 10yrs ago so its lasted well and is still looking good.

Cheers
Chris

Dec

Bike
00 st1100
Re: My exhaust is blowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Chris,
When you say the exhaust was fitted 10yrs ago was this a stainless steel system fitted ??

Dec

OP
OP
caddyman
Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
Hi Dec
Yes mate a full stainless system was fitted, glad it was already done as the price of a new one is nuts.

Dec

Bike
00 st1100
Chris,
what make is the stainless exhaust system presently on the bike ?? I think it would be unusual for the stainless system to break at the weld. This would be more expected of the original system in which its the corrosion causes the originals to break.

OP
OP
caddyman
Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
Its a motad system that's fitted, I think that it work hardened over a period of time, as I said it was an easy fix, just glad I caught it in time!!

Got to pick up some brake pads and an oil filter tomorrow and fit them, then hopefully get the old girl passed.

One thing I really like about the ST is that its easy to work on, my last bike was a 2010 650 Vstrom which as with most new bikes was a 3 day affair to do anything, a real pain in the rear!!.

The pan is a keeper :)
Chris

Dec

Bike
00 st1100
At least you got it sorted, mite be an idea to keep your eye on the other side. I don't think you will have any bother with MOT

Dec

Bike
2000 ST1100
We have a Pie-eater in our midst then eh Chris!
I'm just down the Lancs from you in Astley. (Or should I say aSTley)
I've got a Motad system fitted and when I ordered some new seals for the silencers, which cost a bomb, they didn't fit. So, I liberated a bit of 1/32" steam jointing from work, wrapped it around,coated it with jointing paste, works a treat. It is just the right size.
Perhaps see you at Rivvy or Southport then, seeing as Spring is on the way.

Paul

Top Bottom