Top 3 things you like and would change about the ST

Bike
ST1300A '10
I doubt Honda is likely to get back into the sport touring market with a new model anytime soon but odds are, they continue to monitor boards like this and so just in case, I thought it might be helpful to list the top 3 things you like and would change about the ST. This would be my list:

1. the electric screen
-both the on-the-fly adjustment as well as the manual adjustability on the bracket, being able to dial in the level of wind you want is a beautiful thing

2. range
-to me this bike is about distance and at 7.7 gallons (US) this bike has more range than just about anything which is a major deal if you tend to ride thru wide open places

3. motor
-it's a beast; smooth, powerful, and quiet. Why anyone would want a loud touring bike is beyond me.

Could be better
1. Cruise
- an almost 300 mile range and you don't think people are going to be touring on these things, really?

2. Dash
- a bit too car-like and can be hard to read in bright conditions

3. Gear
-6th would be nice or at least a gear indicator so you can know for sure where you are. The bike is so smooth and so quiet it's easy to forget

A lot of people don't like the weight, on a high-speed long distance bike I have no problem at all with that. Others don't care for the styling but it has grown on me, particularly in this soul-less, transformer era of bike design. Really, it would be so simple to update this thing and make it quite competitive (see FJR) maybe there still is hope...

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
Lighter

Completely different windscreen mechanism.

More easily removed Tupperware, with universally sized mounting bolts.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Better instrument lighting
Lighter or lower CG
Sixth gear with indicator

Bike
2004 ST1300
I'm actually really happy with the ST, but on the off chance Honda ever decides to improve and re-release it they could reduce the need for farkles with:
Adjustable handlebars to allow for more pullback without expensive risers
Better lighting, both driving and marker
More accessory electric outputs
More places to attach bungee cords when securing stuff for touring
Better protection for the radiator
Also, agree with better instrument visibility, cruise control, standardized tupperware hardware and a gear indicator (a sixth gear would also help with MPG). I suspect most would also like a better seat (they should really hire Seth Laam as a consultant), but recognize this is something that is almost impossible to standardize.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
STOC #
I love the precision and design and durability of the major components: engine, trans, final drive, clutch. After 7 years and 42K+ miles, they're absolutely bulletproof and require minimum upkeep.
[ If a machine is not reliable, it's due to bad design, cheap parts, or lack of quality control.]

For me, the 5 areas that need improvement [ in ranked order ]:

1--lighter weight
2--better shock and fork components
3--brighter lighting front and rear
4--cruise
5--traction control

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
Based on my limited experience.

Instrument lighting (anyone not got an issue with this?)
Seat quality/comfort/body position (what percentage of long term riders not made an upgrade to seats and/or bar position ...very low)
my personal 'wants' .......... Cruise control; heated grips; passenger comfort

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Oneway this bike could lose some weight is for the "rider"s to go on a diet! ;)

Including me, but I think the current weight of the ST1300 is just fine!

Bike
02 ST 1100
STOC #
Being a 1100 owner/rider I can't say much about what changes to make on the 1300.
I have never got close to a 1300 have only seen pix of them.
Right now I'm satisfied with mine.
Of Course improvements could be made I'm sure.
The seat could stand some improvements for sure.
Another Gear would be an improvement, and an indicator to tell what gear it is in.
Mine had Heli-bars on it when I go it, and they are great.
Also a rear Trunk I have a large Givi Box.
That is more than 3 but just a start.

Rusty

JDK

Throttle by wire -- which is pretty much necessary to add
1) Cruise
2) Traction control

and
3)Brighter headlight(s)

Other than this - I'm pretty darn happy.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Lighter weight by 100 lbs or more
Cruise control
Gear Indicator
Put the oil filter someplace I can see it

Im fine with the seat, instrument lighting, headlights,

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Adjustable suspension front & rear
Cruise
Factory radio, intercom, GPS
Better lighting front & rear

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I find the weight , lighting, instruments, windscreen perfect. The seat and suspension are easily modified. I can't understand why come so close to perfection in technology and not have self cancel blinkers and electronic throttle cc.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I find the weight , lighting, instruments, windscreen perfect. The seat and suspension are easily modified. I can't understand why come so close to perfection in technology and not have self cancel blinkers and electronic throttle cc.
Instrument lighting could be better, other than that, +1 what he said.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
As the AZ DPS is giving up the Honda ST because it isn't being built any longer...

ST1x00 builds in 2016, 2017, and 2018...

Bike
'15 FJR ES
In keeping with the Opening Post of this thread:

The things I like:
1. The Motor. While not very exciting it always has power.
2. Electric Windshield Adjustment. I found the mechanism moved quickly enough to not be a distraction and slow enough to allow perfect adjustability.
3. Smooth. Everything from the engine operation to the brake and clutch operation to the suspension was just smooth. At the end of a long day smooth is a good thing.

The things I don't like:
1. Needs Cruise Control. No reason for a bike with that much long distance potential to not have CC.
2. More suspension adjustability. Could be electronically adjusted but it needs to be able to be stiffer when wanted.
3. Too heavy by current standards. I know quality takes good materials but this bike could stand to lose a few pounds. It was fine when new but any update needs to be lighter.

I will add in one thing I HATE.

1. Too miserably stupidly difficult to perform maintenance. An FJR oil change can be performed in half the time of the ST1300 and ALL of the old oil goes in the catch basin, none hits the ground. The ST1300 is the only mechanical thing I ever dealt with that I was unable to find the oil fill cap without the aid of the owner's manual. Honda could have made a lot of the maintenance items easier to deal with.

I never worried about a 6th gear since I know the ST1300 will do over 140mph. It can certainly cruise all day at any legal speed and then some. I was never bothered by the weight, it is only too heavy by current standards. I'd like to see some current styling updates as well.

Not that anyone at Honda is reading this anyway, but if they are their refusal to update this wonderful platform forced me to spend my money with Yamaha.

Top Bottom