Top 3 things you like and would change about the ST

Bike
ST1300, VT750C
Like:
1. Love the mill. Don't touch it. Smooth, ample power for me and good response; I like a bit of a bite on the initial throttle opening, but maybe I'm weird. OK, I am....
2. Quality components. The components fit well and are made of quality materials.
3. Gobs of fuel capacity and decent measuring system.

Change:
1. Fix the dash lights. I don't know how the poor contrast display ever got released, much less how the style continued for so darn long without a forehead slap somewhere.
2. Add proper cruise control. How can you build a 250+ mile range touring machine without cruise?
3. Easily adjustable bars. Like I imagine most folks feel, when I'm horsing around, I like to lean forward more, but on a longer ride, I'd like to sit more upright, but still lean slightly forward. I think adjustable bars would really deliver on the mixed Sport - Tourer mission.

Bike
2010 ST1300A
Many of these things would be nice, but my number one complaint is the nuclear reactor heat between my legs. This bike is simply not rideable in the summer. The air deflectors I made have made a big difference, but I just park it and ride something else when its warm out.
We ride in pretty hot conditions - 40 degrees c. and I have no real heat issues from the bike. I had the standard Honda deflectors fitted when I bought it. Not sure if they make a difference, but it might be worth a try if you don't have them.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
1- Eliminate the fuel cut-off characteristic
2- Eliminate the fuel cut-off characteristic
3- Eliminate the fuel cut-off characteristic

Three different versions of Ivan's FCE had no effect on my '06...

OP
OP
Rider33
Bike
ST1300A '10
I will add in one thing I HATE.

1. Too miserably stupidly difficult to perform maintenance. An FJR oil change can be performed in half the time of the ST1300 and ALL of the old oil goes in the catch basin, none hits the ground. The ST1300 is the only mechanical thing I ever dealt with that I was unable to find the oil fill cap without the aid of the owner's manual. Honda could have made a lot of the maintenance items easier to deal with.........Not that anyone at Honda is reading this anyway, but if they are their refusal to update this wonderful platform forced me to spend my money with Yamaha.
Yup, I forgot about that one. The filter is a bit of a pain tho it's the plastic cover over the oil filler that I really dislike. Still, more of a occasional annoyance vs bugs me all the time sort of thing. And I'm with you on the FJR, a nice bike that Team Blue as seen fit to update regularly. Unfortunately, I'd need to be 3-5" shorter I think to make that one work for me. Actually, I'm apt to go the other way: F6B's feel really good everytime I sit on one (which is odd in that Wings never do). A F6B w/ cruise might be my next touring bike, and I think it still has NOAA weather radio built in!

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
1. Windscreen - a better designed one that doesn't suck you forward when raised just a little.

2. SMC - a much better designed secondary master cylinder that isn't prone to rusting up and freezing.

3. Gas Tank - just ONE lower tank similar to the ST1100's to reduce the 1300's top heaviness.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
it's funny, on my 06 I have never experienced any fuel cut off issues or being sucked forward towards the windshield from full down to full up or anywhere in between (used to on the old Vetter fairings though, felt like someone was pushing on your back) and it takes an unusual set of sun circumstances (sun height and angle) for me not to be able to clearly see the digital info on the right side of the instruments, the instruments themselves are always clear. I only have trouble seeing the dash when I wear my Hi Viz gear which reflects in the screen.

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
Like: Everything

Except -

Dislike: Weight/No cruise control /Heat thrown up onto the rider through the fairing, seat and tank. (I'd like 6th gear and a gear indicator too please)

It just needs updating....

OP
OP
Rider33
Bike
ST1300A '10
1. Windscreen - a better designed one that doesn't suck you forward when raised just a little.
For what it's worth, when I first got the bike the back pressure bugged me a bit. Since I'm tall tho I raised the shield to the upper position on the bracket (about 5min. w/screw driver). Since then, I haven't noticed that at all. I guess the larger opening at the bottom smoothed things out, sort of like the shield vent in a Wing.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
What needs improving most:

Lose at least 100 lbs.
Give it a sixth gear.
Add about 35 more HP.

* Through in ESA and TC too.

What I like:

Comfort, this covers a lot
Long range
Plenty fast and handles like a (really big) sport bike.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 - Blue!!
As someone who just purchased an ST1300 I can say, you guys are just asking Honda to keep up with the competition. I also looked at and FJR and Concours: these bike have most of the features you're asking for because the FJR and Concourse have been regularly updated. I don't think anything has happened to Honda since it was released in 2003 (2002?). I would have bought the Concours if it was lower buy 2"s and blue. I liked the FJR but I liked the Honda blue and the Honda "felt" better. If I was buying brand new, I really doubt I would have got a Honda ST. I love the bike at 7 grand but I don't love it at 18 grand compared to what the competition offers for the same or less money.

I really love the windscreen, styling and comfort.

getting use to the weight, getting used to only 5 gears, I like how warm my feet stay riding in winter but am a little worried about this for the summer.

OP
OP
Rider33
Bike
ST1300A '10
... I liked the FJR but I liked the Honda blue and the Honda "felt" better. If I was buying brand new, I really doubt I would have got a Honda ST.....I like how warm my feet stay riding in winter but am a little worried about this for the summer.

I went in to by a new FJR a few years back. The ST wasn't really on my list having ridden and dismissed it as too heavy at introduction (why companies need to keep updating, to keep models current & generate interest). The funny thing was, sitting right next to the FJR was a leftover ST ABS. Sitting on both of them it was no contest for me, the ST just felt much more comfortable and was a better buy as well. That's proven to be a very good call.

On the feet, I wouldn't worry unless you are in the habit of riding in light shoes and pants. Even thru Death Valley that didn't bother me tho the upper shins can get warm. For that I find proper riding pants help & getting your feet out into the air with Highway Blades solves it completely.

http://www.MCL OUT OF BUSINESS - DO NOT ORDER/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I went in to by a new FJR a few years back. The ST wasn't really on my list having ridden and dismissed it as too heavy at introduction (why companies need to keep updating, to keep models current & generate interest). The funny thing was, sitting right next to the FJR was a leftover ST ABS. Sitting on both of them it was no contest for me, the ST just felt much more comfortable and was a better buy as well. That's proven to be a very good call.
When I got my ST it was sitting right next to a FJR and to me the ST was hands down a winner compared to the FJR, that was in 2008.

Bike
ST
STOC #
In this type of thread over the years (12) people ask for a 6th gear. Would someone please explain what would be gained by the additional gear?

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
[QUOTE;1831953]Bazazz fixes that.....and taking up the slack on the cable..( Ask IGOFAR on the cable thing )[/QUOTE]

Does the Bazzaz C-o-m-p-l-e-t-e-l-y eliminate the fuel being cutoff when the throttle is closed? There's absolutely no slack in my throttle cable, and I installed a Throttle Tamer and Grip Puppies, which helped. I shouldn't have to "think" about my throttle input when decelerating into a tight turn getting back on the throttle. I understand Honda's desire to wring every bit of mileage out of the fuel, but the cut-off feature creates dangerous situations and makes the bike less enjoyable to ride. I loved the throttle on my '99 ST1100. I only wish my '06 ST1300 handled the same...

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
Like:
Torque/horsepower tuning
Range
Wind management

Dislike/change:
Heat management
Add factory cruise
Daylight instrument lighting

Bonus like:
Light clutch pull

Bonus dislike:
No stock saddlebag tipover protection

Good Ridin'
slmjim

Bike
02 ST 1100
STOC #
After thinking about it a little while, the only need for another gear would be better gas mileage, it goes plenty fast like it is.
Cruse control would be nice, and a more comfortable seat would be a plus.
I don't have any problems with the heat, because mine is a 1100.
Tip over bars for the bags like the Goldwing would be great.
I like my 1100, and have no desire for a 1300, mine goes faster than I want to ride.
It is smoother than my 93 GW 1500, and way Quicker.
The V4 is great so I will just ride it till I can't.
I'm selling the Wing, and keeping the Voyager Kit that came with it.
I can get the parts from Voyager to install it on my 1100, and keep on riding.

Rusty

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
  • Engine & Tranny combo - V4 with great torque throughout the RPM band and 5 speed are a fantastic combo
  • Range - 280 to 320 miles is rare range
  • Reliability - it is predictable, its a Honda
Would change:
  • Weight - needs to lose ~100lb (which will improve fuel mileage, plus provides effect of adding ~15 HP, but without the tire and drivetrain wear)
  • Electronics - make a useful dash; include TPMS, cruise, and heated grips standard
  • Lighting - both to see better at night and to be seen in daytime, both front and back; needs HIDs (with properly design reflector), LED front markers, and much stronger rear lighting (LEDs there also).

Bike
2010 ST1300
I like a lot about my ST BUT it is unfortunately like my last two bikes - old technology. The state of the art has advanced so rapidly that Honda would have to completely remake the bike. Look at the list of wants we have all compiled in these 42 posts. Compare the ST 1300 to the competition. We may love this bike, but face it, you can get more for not a whole lot more money.

As far as optional equipment (aka farkles). I have spent around $3500 on these accessories and spent hours installing them. If I figure my time at anything over 50?/hour, I would have been better off buying a new bike with a lot of these things incorporated from the factory. Don't get me wrong, I love wrenching on mc's, and adding toys has helped me get to know the bike.

Having said all we have in this thread, we have to acknowledge that the ST 1300 is truly a great bike, and is certainly competitive with today's more modern offerings. But a lot of our members have moved on to more modern rides. With good reason.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Would we exchange 100 lbs for rear subframes that crack and suspect reliability reputations? Sometimes less is less.

Top Bottom