My experience with Harbor Freight Tools

Bike
2006 ST 1300
I've been a mechanic for 20 years. I've worked on everything from school buses to MPFFV(Multi Purpose Fire Fighting Vehicle) for the army. I currently work 2 jobs a day, turning wrenches on fire trucks and ambulances in the morning and. I work for a fleet in the afternoon. On the weekends I run my own business from home where I work in anything from boats to cars to firetrucks. I feel I'm pretty qualified to answer this question about tools.

I have two 56 inch tool boxes from Harbor Freight and in my research, that lasted about a month of looking and reviewing, I found that you can not get a better deal from any manufacturers out there. In pretty rough with my boxes, they go from one end of the shop to the other several times a week and I've yet had anything fail on them. I can also attest that the slides can hold well over the rated limit as all of my drawers are overloaded. In not saying a Snap-On or Mac won't do the job, I'm just saying, the larger,industrial series boxes from Harbor Freight an outstanding deal and very well made.

Now, tool wise, like others have said, some of the stuff from there is junk. Stay away from the screwdrivers and Allen keys. The sockets are pretty good but don't get the tool kits they sell(ones with sockets, ratchets, screwdrivers...) I have a set if thin wall impact sockets I use probably once a week to remove wheels and have yet to break one. I bought the master balljoint press kit for the adapters and have yet to bend one of those. I bought a vacuum pump 5 years ago and its still going strong after working on probably 200 cars and trucks. The hammers? I have the dead blow that I use weekly to remove valve caps and discharges, after 2 years the face started to peel, I took it back and they gave me a free one. The Snap-On one I have is sitting in a drawer at home because the same thing happened and Snap-On will not replace it.

Don't get me wrong, I have thousands of dollars in Snap-On tools as well as Matco and a few Mac items. They are(were) a good quality item but Snap -On tools are not made in America anymore, its all Taiwan now. I just have not seen the quality from Snap On for quite a few years so my tool purchases are spread out to other vendors. Carlysle from Napa is one I've grown to like. As well as Gearwrench, absolutely love Gearwrench!

Bottom line, do a little bit of research. Look at the reviews for the tools you're looking to purchase and don't worry about the name, if it works, its good to go in my box.

Brian

Bike
2006 ST1300
1. I can't see throwing out tools that haven't yet broken just on the possibility that if they do break they'll be replaced with junk, especially good old Craftsman ones that will probably last generations. I know I have a few bits handed down from grandfather to my father that have seen a lot of use and show no signs of wearing out.
When you trip over boxes of junk long enough, eventually it has to go. If that bothers you, you would really hate to know about all the GOOD tools I had to throw out when I had to suddenly move from a full shop into an apartment. You do what you have to do and try not to look back. And since this is an ST site...my old ST1100 that got scrapped because I had to leave it behind when I left that shop. Fortunately things are going much better now.

OP
OP
jmcarruth
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I've been a mechanic for 20 years. I've worked on everything from school buses to MPFFV(Multi Purpose Fire Fighting Vehicle) for the army. I currently work 2 jobs a day, turning wrenches on fire trucks and ambulances in the morning and. I work for a fleet in the afternoon. On the weekends I run my own business from home where I work in anything from boats to cars to firetrucks. I feel I'm pretty qualified to answer this question about tools.

I have two 56 inch tool boxes from Harbor Freight and in my research, that lasted about a month of looking and reviewing, I found that you can not get a better deal from any manufacturers out there. In pretty rough with my boxes, they go from one end of the shop to the other several times a week and I've yet had anything fail on them. I can also attest that the slides can hold well over the rated limit as all of my drawers are overloaded. In not saying a Snap-On or Mac won't do the job, I'm just saying, the larger,industrial series boxes from Harbor Freight an outstanding deal and very well made.

Now, tool wise, like others have said, some of the stuff from there is junk. Stay away from the screwdrivers and Allen keys. The sockets are pretty good but don't get the tool kits they sell(ones with sockets, ratchets, screwdrivers...) I have a set if thin wall impact sockets I use probably once a week to remove wheels and have yet to break one. I bought the master balljoint press kit for the adapters and have yet to bend one of those. I bought a vacuum pump 5 years ago and its still going strong after working on probably 200 cars and trucks. The hammers? I have the dead blow that I use weekly to remove valve caps and discharges, after 2 years the face started to peel, I took it back and they gave me a free one. The Snap-On one I have is sitting in a drawer at home because the same thing happened and Snap-On will not replace it.

Don't get me wrong, I have thousands of dollars in Snap-On tools as well as Matco and a few Mac items. They are(were) a good quality item but Snap -On tools are not made in America anymore, its all Taiwan now. I just have not seen the quality from Snap On for quite a few years so my tool purchases are spread out to other vendors. Carlysle from Napa is one I've grown to like. As well as Gearwrench, absolutely love Gearwrench!

Bottom line, do a little bit of research. Look at the reviews for the tools you're looking to purchase and don't worry about the name, if it works, its good to go in my box.

Brian
++1 on the tool boxes. I have the 13 drawer 44" rolling cabinet and the matching top box. Together they hold a ton of stuff and exceed or match the quality of anything I have seen. They also come with label backgrounds and protective covers that enable the owner to label the multitude of drawers and be able to figure out where your stuff is! These are frequently on sale and a true bargain anyway.

One word of caution, with any HF purchase, check all of the critical fasteners for proper torque. The casters on my rolling cabinet were very loose out of the crate.

Also +1 on the dead blow hammers, I have three, one of them is 15 years old.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I typically go there and get something if I am only going to use it a couple of times. Even with that in mind, I have never been one to go out and buy the brand name stuff (Snap-on, Matco, etc.). I live with the reality that I am not a full time mechanic, for my occasional use for regular maintenance on bikes and cars and I don't need the high end best of the best.

Top Bottom