Need dimensions for stock 1998 ST1100 windshield

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I have (according to previous owner and if I remember well) Riffle windshield, cut off on top. It's to small for me so I'm shopping for new windshield. But the dimensions of the current windshield do not help me to order new one (I was thinking on Clearview). So, if someone has stock windshield for 1998 ST1100 I would really appreciate a picture and dimensions so I would know what to order.

Thanks.

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
I have one snowed in my storage shed can't get to it right now. I didn't care for the factory shield it was so short that I got all the wind in my face. I have a taller aftermarket on now. I look just over the top of it. I loved it but my pillon needed more wind protection. She is much happier with the stock shield on the 1300. If you need more info send me a private message I will get the measurements.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
An 1100 stock windshield is 16" when measured in the middle of the front, top to bottom. Some manufacturers use +2 (18") or +4 (20") for size.

1100 shields are interchangeable through the model years.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
The height of the windshield is ok, even though it would be better if it's 1"-2" taller. The main issue is "width" because I'm getting a lot of wind in my shoulders.
And some wind at my helmet too, but the noise is what's bothering me only.
I bought recently the "ears" but still didn't install it because it said don't install it with temperature below 70 I think.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Few more images so you can see the shape of the windshield

Last edited:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I can't answer what the actual dimensions of the '98 stock shield are, and I think there are a few different versions that are different sizes from what I've seen (with and without cats eyes, etc). I knew when I cut that shield down a little that it was taller than stock, even after cutting it. There was a bit more buffeting around the sides of shield before I cut it also. I thought of adding "wings" but never got around to doing that.

Wind at shoulders is likely not all from the shield but coming up from under and over the mirrors and pulling in due to the bubble of vacuum that exists directly behind the shield. My old GL1500 (Gold Wing) had a terrible shield on it from the PO that caused a massive vacuum bubble and resulted in a lot of buffeting for me and passenger. I did replace that one with a taller shield but it was a combination of a more aerodynamic shield (not necessarily taller or bigger) AND side fairing deflectors that did the trick on that bike. I would think the same here. Those "wings" should help out a lot and I would see what they do for you before going too far into paying for more shield... when the weather warms up. Then if the wings don't do enough look closely into where that wind is coming from. Keep in mind that the more you deflect the wind around you, the bigger the calm bubble is and also the more the wind slams back in from behind hitting your back. There does need to be some venting at the shield to relieve some of that vacuum and manage that. The ST does have some venting so that is good.

Deflecting the wind from hitting you will reduce the noise as well. But much of the noise is due to the helmet itself (some are just noisier than others). Wearing ear plugs on the highway reduces a lot of wind noise, and a quieter helmet reduces it even more in combination. I don't remember if you said earlier if you wear ear plugs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
... side fairing deflectors that did the trick on that bike. I would think the same here. Those "wings" should help out a lot and I would see what they do for you before going too far into paying for more shield...
I just googled side wings for ST1100 and didn't find anything. :-(

... Deflecting the wind from hitting you will reduce the noise as well.
Excactly. When I lean forward, the noise reduces to almost nothing.

... But much of the noise is due to the helmet itself (some are just noisier than others). Wearing ear plugs on the highway reduces a lot of wind noise, and a quieter helmet reduces it even more in combination. I don't remember if you said earlier if you wear ear plugs.
I didn't wear earplugs all the time (maybe that's why am I suffering tinnitus now :) ) and they help. The 3/4 face helmet is not so bad. And without the face shield is even better, but I'm not riding without face shield anymore. Full face helmet I have is one of the cheapest ones (I got from friend for free, he didn't use it) and it's horrible, but I had to wear it over winter - it's too cold for 3/4 face helmet.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
"side wings" = "ears"
They are the same thing, just different terms that often are due to different location on the faring. In the GW world they are more often called wings. In any case it is air deflectors being referred to. :)

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
... Those "wings" should help out a lot and I would see what they do for you before going too far into paying for more shield... when the weather warms up...
I put the wings today went for the spin. No difference except protecting hands - what's actually made for. The same for shoulders. Didn't test on 80mph but I don't think so.

... Then if the wings don't do enough look closely into where that wind is coming from...
I followed the wind with my hand, moving around and found that the biggest wind comes from the side of the windshield, around the middle. So I believe some kind of "side lip" will do the job - if something like that exists at all. Or simply go with the windshield like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/NATIONAL-CYCLE-Replacement-Screen-Windshield-1990-2002-Honda-ST1100-Windscreen-/380989435454?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model:ST1100&hash=item58b4bd6e3e&vxp=mtr&rmvSB=true

Top Bottom