Potential timing belt/pulleys problem

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Left driven pulley and if you do it carefully enough you won't need to replace the oil seal in there.
So, just the pulley and not the camshaft holder with its gasket?

Also, my waterpump cover is stuck in its operating position. Where do I pry or whack it loose?

Ray

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
The pulley and holder is what I did. The pump will be stuck on its o-ring, so some mild tapping with a rubber mallet, but I can't remember exactly where. It has been a number of years since I did mine.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Ok, just to revive this thread - because I am in the middle of an ST11 waterpump replacement. Once the clutch cover, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, timing belt, and 7 waterpump bolts have been removed, what is the easiest way to get enough clearance to remove the waterpump? Should I use George's method of unbolting the frame member that supports the radiator or removal of the left driven pulley and its camshaft reduction holder?
It's been two years since I did mine (as mentioned above). Here's my recommendation: remove the left cam Driven Pulley and Reduction Holder Cover (shroud) and buy its gasket. I also bought and replaced the seal, but if you're careful the original can be reused.

Much easier than breaking old frame bolts loose, IMHO. FWIW

edit: I see my friend Forest beat me while I spent forever composing, and not realizing there was a second page to the thread. :)

John

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I'll throw in another vote for the cam pulley removal, but with the caveat that it may take you a bit of time to remove all the old gasket material, mine was really stuck on there. I think that's when I also noticed that the new gasket remover chemicals have been watered down and all the dangerous chemicals removed since I last bought a can.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
I'll throw in another vote for the cam pulley removal, but with the caveat that it may take you a bit of time to remove all the old gasket material, mine was really stuck on there. I think that's when I also noticed that the new gasket remover chemicals have been watered down and all the dangerous chemicals removed since I last bought a can.

I did just buy a can of CRC Gasket Remover. It has acetone as an ingredient. Did the older stuff have even more powerful chemicals?

Also, waiting for delivery of a plastic razor blade scraper and its plastic razors to help remove the clutch cover gasket material.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I did just buy a can of CRC Gasket Remover. It has acetone as an ingredient. Did the older stuff have even more powerful chemicals?
here's a picture of the old Permatex can (click on this one):

IMG_2926a_edited-1 (1).jpg

the new Permatex website says: "Nontoxic, low odor, nonflammable. Safe-to-use around pets and children. Can be sold in all 50 states, No VOC."

The 50 state comment suggests it varies by state, so YMMV where you live.

tried to delete the image below but it won't delete.

Attachments

Last edited:

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
here's a picture of the old Permatex can (click on this one):

IMG_2926a_edited-1 (1).jpg

the new Permatex website says: "Nontoxic, low odor, nonflammable. Safe-to-use around pets and children. Can be sold in all 50 states, No VOC."

The 50 state comment suggests it varies by state, so YMMV where you live.

tried to delete the image below but it won't delete.

Wow. And I was going to have some lab animals help with the gasket removal.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #

A bit of time to remove the old, stuck on gasket material - turned into hours of scraping and coating with the newer, less-powerful gasket remover chemicals.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Returning to the earlier comments about replacing both the idler and tensioner pulleys, I was only going to change the tensioner (and its spring). Then, after I remounted the idler pulley and torqued it, I checked it for free play - too much wobble! A new idler pulley is now on order.

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I didn't remove them lower cross member, was someone else.

I did a clutch refresh on STick years ago, only replaced the springs, plates were still fine. pictures somewhere of the compressed old springs, visible diff with the new ones.

I owned three ST11s over 23 years but my little NC 700 now gets the job done. 55+ MPG and comfortable enough.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
I didn't remove them lower cross member, was someone else.

Sorry, George, I discovered that later. Didn't mean to accuse you of dis-memberment....

In 2 months I will be renting an NC750X in the Azores for a day - looking forward to it.

Ray

Top Bottom