Choosing a windshield for the ST1100

Hello everyone. I recently picked up a 1999 Honda ST1100 with some minor scuffs and dings. The windshield needs to go, and I'm looking at replacements. I found a review on this forum for the Clearview medium shield, price is $155. I also have been looking at the Givi aftermarket shield at $107.10 but there's no vents and even more unfortunately no reviews. There's also the Rifle replacement shield, which like the Clearview is available in a variety of heights, but sells at $129.00 for the medium. Does anyone have experience with any of these? I like the look of the Rifle, but if the Clearview is significantly superior then I don't mind spending a bit more. Thanks for any insight you can share.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
You should get together with Afan. He's wanting to replace his Rifle shield and has photos of it HERE. Last I knew (since I sold him the bike) the shield was in very good condition. You can at least see what it looks like on the bike and maybe work out something with him when he is ready to replace.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I had the Rifle. 22 inches tall was just right for me. Air just over top of helmet. Width was not a problem because I like a cooling breeze on my arms.

Also had a Clearview at 22 inches. Was excellent. This was an early version however. The Clearview I have now, also 22 inches, is unacceptable without putting a MRA lip on it. This current Clearview model has almost no 'flip', or curvature, to it, that the original version had.

My Givi is great, but also needs the lip to be useable. Nice air on arms and the MRA sends air just over the helmet.

I've never needed any kind of vents in a windshield.

I also like the Laminar Lip Shortie shield.

Last edited:
Bike
92 ST1100
Have had the 20" Clearview with the 'cat-eyes' for over a decade and mounted the LaminarLip some nine yrs. ago. Excellent protection with no buffeting.

OP
OP
I've never needed any kind of vents in a windshield.
My previous bike was a GL500 with a huge fairing and windscreen. It blocked everything. Sitting behind it was great in winter but rough in summer when a little wind in your face was appreciated. I eventually got a shorter screen with a non-adjustable vent. It was like deliverance in the summertime. The ST's stock windshield looks big enough, but I swear I had a scooter with a stubby little flyscreen that did a better job of blocking wind. I don't mind a little wind on my arms either, but I do not want to have to stay constantly tucked to avoid wind shooting straight up at my helmet. I guess the vent is unnecessary as long as the windshield isn't blocking everything.

OP
OP
After a bit of research, as well as losing an eBay auction for a replacement stock windshield, I decided to go with the medium Rifle windshield (22 inches). Hopefully it'll reduce the wind in the face and the noise that I'm currently getting. Thanks for the input, everyone.

Top Bottom