I have a question about the Suzuki GSX1250SE

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I am looking at a Suzuki GSX1250 with sidebags and trunk. I believe it was called Bandit a few years back. i would like it for a second bike. It is a brand new 2014 and is on sale for a great price.
I have a 29" inseam and this bike allows me to sit flat footed. My problem is my wife cannot get on the bike easily. She has been riding with me for 39 years and this has never been a problem.
The passenger foot peg is about 3" higher than our 2007 ST1300 and under the nose of the saddlebag so she can't swing her leg across the seat without hitting the saddlebag.
Its been suggested that she get on first, which means short legged me has to straighten up the already heavy bike. We also tried with me on the bike she could use my footpeg to get on, that worked but if there was any sand or loose material under either planted foot it could get ugly quickly.
My question, is there anyone on this forum that has this model bike and if two up was this a problem and did you try footpeg extenders?

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Bandit 1250s were great bikes with a lot of torque. They are chain driven. A lot of complaints center around the bike only having 99 horsepower when it was competing with FJR's and FZ-1's and Triumph Triples which all had about 120 horsepower. Fairings were not real protective either.They also have adjustable height seats.

Getting a passenger on a bike with bags and a trunk is often difficult as we age due to not being as flexible. You mentioned your wife riding with you for 39 years. Mine has ridden with me for 42. We are in our 60's. She has also had 2 replacement knees and a replacement hip. You would laugh at our mounting procedure, but she always gets on first and off last. She always kicks my bags getting on and my tank getting off. I don't care about that, she loves to ride and if she has to mar up those pieces a bit no biggie to me. But she steps on my front left peg, holds onto the handlebars and swings her right leg over kicking both bags in the process and settles into the drivers seat. I then move in and she puts one hand on my shoulder and straightens her legs and moves into the passenger seat. Once she is settled in, I do the hop skip thing jumping my right leg thru and I climb on. I straighten the bars, she leans to the right and the bike comes up and I can retract the side stand. To dismount, sidestand down, I hop skip off, she folds her right leg up and thru kicking the tank in the process (sometime I help fold her leg so she doesn't kick the tank), and I grab her legs to straighten her out/swing her around and she slides off. It works for us, and if she couldn't mount that way, she couldn't ride. I'd let her destroy the bag tops and tank as long as it means she can ride with me.

BTW just read a test on the Kaw Versys and both the 650 and 1000 have over 33" seat heights. They are off my future bike lists.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
So.....if it is a second bike, what are you going to use it for? Dont mean to sound like, or come off, as a smart***, but if only day rides, or one up, why not just take the side bags off?

Rod

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
I'm currently riding a GSX1250FA, which is the fully-faired, abs version of the Bandit. I don't believe the SE is available in the US, and the last year the FA's were brought in was 2012.

I love the bike - it's the most fun I've ever had on two wheels, bar none. It may not have the horsepower numbers of some others, but it has gobs and gobs of torque - even in 6th gear the rollon is more impressive than any other bike I have owned. The fact that it weighs almost 200 pounds less than an ST helps it's performance, a lot.

If you have the standard, Givi supplied bags on, at least they aren't painted so will be more scuff-resistant than other bags. I kick mine all the time getting on and off, and the marks just wipe right off.

As far as two-up is concerned, the only one that has ridden with me is my 11-year-old grandson, so the peg placement isn't a problem for him.

There are footpeg lowering kits available for the GSX1250's - check this out; http://www.whaccessories.com/Foot-Peg-Lowering-Kit-Suzuki.htm

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bill144
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
So.....if it is a second bike, what are you going to use it for? Dont mean to sound like, or come off, as a smart***, but if only day rides, or one up, why not just take the side bags off?

Rod
I do want to use the GSX as a second bike. We love our ST1300, it has 98000 miles on it and i would like to split the multi day ride from the one day ride. We will ride almost every nice day from April to November. A lot of them are local 300 mile rides with friends. We like to schedule a couple of 2 week long rides a year and use the ST for them. The local rides the lighter Suzi would cover.
We always seem to fill the side bags regardless of how long the ride. The trunk we store our helmets in.

OP
OP
Bill144
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Bandit 1250s were great bikes with a lot of torque. They are chain driven. A lot of complaints center around the bike only having 99 horsepower when it was competing with FJR's and FZ-1's and Triumph Triples which all had about 120 horsepower. Fairings were not real protective either.They also have adjustable height seats.

BTW just read a test on the Kaw Versys and both the 650 and 1000 have over 33" seat heights. They are off my future bike lists.
The difference here in Canada between a 2014 GSX and a FJR is about $10,000 I should be able to farkle the GSX to where we could comfortably ride it. As for the 1000 Versys - i did sit on it and my heels were off the ground by 1.5". i'm guessing with the seat cut down and a possible lowering kit it would be great. It sure looks great.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
OK, maybe think about this. Decide exactly what you need to carry in the side bags and then maybe downsize them or get smaller, soft bags. Sell the current ones to help cover the costs, if any.

Rod

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I have a 29" inseam and this bike allows me to sit flat footed. My problem is my wife cannot get on the bike easily.
She has been riding with me for 39 years and this has never been a problem. The passenger foot peg is about 3" higher than our 2007 ST1300 and under the nose of the saddlebag so she can't swing her leg across the seat without hitting the saddlebag.
Its been suggested that she get on first, which means short legged me has to straighten up the already heavy bike. We also tried with me on the bike she could use my footpeg to get on, that worked but if there was any sand or loose material under either planted foot it could get ugly quickly.
My question, is there anyone on this forum that has this model bike and if two up was this a problem and did you try footpeg extenders?
I sold my 2009 Bandit last year. If I'm not mistaken, there are folks who have found extenders for the passenger pegs. The best website forum I found for Bandit related questions was Maximum-Suzuki. There are plenty of knowledgeable folks on the site who could help you with your question.

Top Bottom