Bike dies when put in gear

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Re: help!

It is possible that the sidestand switch has failed. The switch will provide a grounded output when the stand is up. If you have an ohm meter handy, it would be easy to check.
The other possibility is the clutch switch, it can also cause the symptom you describe. With the bike shut off, and in a quiet place, you should hear the clutch switch operate when you squeeze the lever. There is no adjustment for this switch, so if it's not working it needs to be replaced. Good luck!

Garry

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #

I would then have to say the side stand switch needs to be checked. Probably went bad. Unplug it from the wiring harness and check continuity with a ohm meter. Does it closed in one position and does it read open in the other position. Can't tell you where that connector is as I don't own a ST1300 any more. Also don't have my Service Manual any more, but there will be a check out procedure in the service manual.

Bike
'06 ST1300A

Have you seen this schematic, it will be of use when you start trouble shooting the problem. If you download the schematic, you can use any pdf viewer, to zoom in, and or print.

Have you checked that the side stand is retracting fully, also check that the side stand switch has not become disconnected.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Clutch switch is not a factor if the side stand is up. I always start my ST without touching the clutch lever, trans in neutral. My money is on the side stand switch.

OP
OP
Thanks guys I have an 04 and 05 1300 the 04 works fine, so I took the switches off both bikes and swapped them around the 04 still works fine with the 05 switch so that eliminates switches. So when I pull in the clutch on both bikes the micro switch doesn't activate until clutch is almost all the way in. When I crank the 05 and put in gear all is fine till I come off center stand and back wheel touches the ground it lurches forward and dies

RCS

When is the last time you replaced the clutch fluid?

The fluid could be so old that it is not dense enough to apply pressure to the clutch springs to disengage the clutch. I change mine at 8,000 miles or two years whichever comes first.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
So when I pull in the clutch on both bikes the micro switch doesn't activate until clutch is almost all the way in.
Okay, that sounds correct. You wouldn't want the switch to operate any earlier in the clutch lever travel, as the clutch may not have fully disengaged at that point.

When I crank the 05 and put in gear all is fine till I come off center stand and back wheel touches the ground it lurches forward and dies
A little more clarity would be useful.

When on the center stand, with the engine running, is the bike in gear with the clutch disengaged (lever pulled in), and then you rock it off the center stand, at which point the engine dies?

Perhaps you could try a test?
Whilst on the center stand, with the engine running, with the clutch disengaged and in gear, begin applying the rear brake to slow, and eventually stop the rear wheel from spinning.
  • Does the engine stall and die?
  • Or does it continue running as it should?
If the engine does stall and die, then that suggests the clutch is not fully disengaging, and the issue is most likely not electrical. Additional investigation is called for.

On the other hand, if the engine continues to run, then the clutch is most likely not the issue, and another test is called for.
This time, with the bike resting on it's tires, the side stand, and center stand in the up position, with the engine running, what happens when you disengage the clutch and shift into gear (keeping the front brake applied during this test might be prudent)?
  • Does the engine stall and die? Then I imagine it may have something to do with the final position of the center stand, perhaps a loose, or misplaced wire is getting pinched by the center stand. Further investigation is called for.
  • However if the engine continues to run, then clearly I didn't understand the issue initially!

OP
OP
OK guys, I replaced clutch fluid with dot 4 on the 05, no help as soon as I come off center stand and put in 1st gear she lurches forward and dies, could the clutch plates be stuck , I swapped side stand switches from my 04 to 05 and both work as should so that tells me both switches are good, what now the bike set up for 3 yrs without being road,, I would go out and crank it every week. Any other ideas?

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
If it's been sitting for 3 years and you started it every week or so I'd change that oil without delay.

If it's running on the center stand (side stand up) and you put it in gear does it continue to run?
If so pull the clutch in. Step on the brake pedal if it stalls the clutch plates aren't releasing. If so they're either bound together or you're not developing hydraulic pressure. Did you do a manual bleed that would confirm the master cylinder is developing pressure or a vacuum bleed.

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Bike lurches? As in trying to move itself in gear? Will it idle in neutral? Clutch in/ out?

Initial thoughts, clutch playes are stuck together, but then you would notice by a spinning rear tire while on centerstand, or you have significant amount of air in the clutch lines.

Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
Len,
Put the bike on the center stand. Start it up, pull in the clutch, put it in gear, while engaging the rear brake. Does the bike run or stall when the rear brake is applied? Does the rear brake make the wheel stop turning?

Or take the bike off the center stand with it not running. Do not start the bike. Put the bike in gear, pull in the clutch and push the bike. Is the rear wheel skidding or turning freely while the bike is in gear and being pushed? I am trying to determine if the clutch is engaging or not. Also pushing the bike with clutch pulled in can sometimes break the adhesion of stuck clutch plates but I doubt that is the problem.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I was confused until you said the bike sat for 3 years. Ok, it starts and goes into gear, sounds like the clutch and sidestand switches are ok. I would put it on the center stand and try to manually turn the rear wheel in neutral. If you feel resistance, look closely at your braking system for hydraulic lock. If this is happening, check your secondary master cylinder.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
jmcarruth said:
look closely at your braking system for hydraulic lock. If this is happening, check your secondary master cylinder.
+1
Also try to turn your rear tire before you even start it.
Your lower needle bearing where the bolt goes through on your secondary master cylinder goes might be seized.

OP
OP
OK guys, I replaced clutch fluid with dot 4 on the 05, no help as soon as I come off center stand and put in 1st gear she lurches forward and dies, could the clutch plates be stuck , I swapped side stand switches from my 04 to 05 and both work as should so that tells me both switches are good, what now the bike set up for 3 yrs without being road,, I would go out and crank it every week. Any other ideas?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
If it's running on the center stand (side stand up) and you put it in gear does it continue to run?
If so pull the clutch in. Step on the brake pedal if it stalls the clutch plates aren't releasing.
Len,
Put the bike on the center stand. Start it up, pull in the clutch, put it in gear, while engaging the rear brake. Does the bike run or stall when the rear brake is applied? Does the rear brake make the wheel stop turning?
Or take the bike off the center stand with it not running. Do not start the bike. Put the bike in gear, pull in the clutch and push the bike. Is the rear wheel skidding or turning freely while the bike is in gear and being pushed?
I would put it on the center stand and try to manually turn the rear wheel in neutral.
Also try to turn your rear tire before you even start it.
Tried?

OP
OP
When I put the bike in 1st engine not running and pull in the clutch and try to push bike the rear wheel just skids, so it must be stuck clutch plates. And if so I guess I'll have to take it to the dealer. Arg!!!!!

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
It appears he does need help....to second the thought, can you push it around not running in neutral or is the rear wheel stuck? Think brake issues here..........good luck...........ff

OP
OP
I can push bike in neutral, but if in gear and clutch pulled in the back tire skids, so has to be stuck clutch plates. I just hope this repair will not break the bank.... I really am clueless on what to do...... I do have a little brains left, so I manually bled the clutch fluid on both bikes and the 04 runs perfect, but the 05 still dies when I put bike in gear, so stuck clutch plates still sounds like the problem. Help!!!

Top Bottom