How do you guys stand it?

Bike
2000 ST1100
I have been trying to restrain myself from adding to the list of winter-phobes. I just got back to Minnesota from Georgia, where even with cooler than normal temperatures I could have been riding the last two months. I didn't bring a bike down with me.

Some of you might have followed that I bought a bike with the intent of adding a sidecar to it just for local rides. Well, in my pursuit of the sidecar to put on the bike, I found a complete rig at an attractive price. Remember I was in GA not at home in MN. The rig was in Arizona. A long time friend in Phoenix brokered the deal. Super! So now I own a sidecar rig that's 1700 miles away and it is single digit temperatures outside here.

Talk about Parked Motorcycle Syndrome.

FOT1564_4.jpg

jim

OP
OP
AlleyBrewer
Bike
ST1300, VT750C
I've always been intrigued by the idea of a sidecar for my not so motorcycle happy friends. Since the "host" motorcycle provides the thrust and the braking, I imagine that with a right side car, you get a bit of right yaw force on acceleration and left yaw force on deceleration. It seems like that would shred the front tire in short order. Is there some clever toe in or mounting geometry that addresses that?

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
This winter sucks, no doubt. Snowing again today but thankfully only inches, not feet. Some winters are mild in western Mass but not this one. Jack Frost can take a flying leap.
Is this your deck?!cid_image001_jpg@01D0569E.jpg

Bike
2000 ST1100
I've always been intrigued by the idea of a sidecar for my not so motorcycle happy friends. Since the "host" motorcycle provides the thrust and the braking, I imagine that with a right side car, you get a bit of right yaw force on acceleration and left yaw force on deceleration. It seems like that would shred the front tire in short order. Is there some clever toe in or mounting geometry that addresses that?
There is a volume of advice and techniques to set up a sidecar rig. But you are correct that the rig will always be 'asymmetrical' in acceleration, braking, and turning. The goal is to achieve a balance straight and level, (or straight and steady in not aviation parlance). The ultimate steering arrangement is to apply a leading link front end. This sets up a better trail. A heavy bike and car like this rig often has a brake on the sidecar wheel as well. It is slaved and proportioned to the rear brake on the bike.

Tire wear is an issue. In this case the 'Dark Siders' are on to something. With three wheels the flat profile of the CT works perfectly.

I can't see myself every giving up a sport touring bike, given I can hold it up at a stop. However, I've had a little experience with sidecars and it is a novel ride. I still have no hope of getting the wife to ride with me. I guess I'll need to get a dog.
;)
jim

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
It's been a tough winter here. Worst I've ever seen in my lifetime. The good thing is I'm moving and won't have to deal with winter ever again.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Rekoob, what's in your fridge? Nice rig.
Thanks, from what I can see you in your avatar looks like you have a great looking rig also.
I have a Bavarian hellis and porter on tap, a cream ale just kicked. I have space for four kegs in my keezer but my pipeline is on the low side right now with nothing in primary or secondary. Some travel (work) has been getting in the way of brewing.

What about you? getting any warm days to brew? you on HBT?

OP
OP
AlleyBrewer
Bike
ST1300, VT750C
Jim, thanks for the explanation. Some of those sidecar rigs look real luxurious.

Rekoob, I am not in HBT, but I am on Homebrew Forums as AlleyBrewer104, I'm just not active. I probably should make a posting though because I've found a great way to get wheat beers to work in my HERMs setup using a bed of rice hulls between the false bottom and a secondary screen.

Top Bottom