Enclosed Trailers

Bike
st1300 vfr800
I need to trailer 2 bikes from Ontario to Colorado in August for a bike meet . What size trailer can I get away with or what size are you using for taking a ST and a VFR maybe a yammie 2 stroker as well ,tow vehicle will be a Dodge pickup with the hemi engine . I also have a need occasionally to go to the track and use it as a sleeping quarters for those nice summer nights . Thanks for your help!

Bike
2006 ST1300
If you do just the two bikes, and won't be doing this often, see if they will fit in the back of the truck (if it's a long bed). If so, buy a tall cap that the bikes fit under. Even if you have to remove the ST's windshield (takes 5 minutes) it would be easy. A cap would be cheaper than a trailer; less tolls; no extra registration & insurance; and less maintenance. You can still sleep in the cap when the bikes are out.

For trailers, there are lots available. Look around Craigslist for local deals. Where you are there should be lots of enclosed snowmobile trailers. Just check under them carefully to ensure winter use hasn't caused extensive rust.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I hav e a 5x10 and it just fits my 1100, mind you I have some walking room around the sides. I think you would need a 6x10.
if I had the cash I would go for one of these.

http://www.microlitetrailer.com
i saw one of these at a dealer near me, very nice, plug and play type .... But 12k??(cdn)
i bought the 5x10, put a bar fridge in it, have solar panels for power, propane stove, etc. if you do a Google search on cargo trailer conversions you will get some ideas.
a "V" nose would be nice and something with at least a 60" door opening.
Razerman has a rig, you should chat with him.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I've got a 7x16 tandem axle fits two motorcycles, all my camping gear, coolers, stove, propane, table, chairs, luggage, riding gear, canopy, and a couple of bicycles. When Sue comes with me on a trip it's the only way to go.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I also have a need occasionally to go to the track and use it as a sleeping quarters for those nice summer nights .
None of your friends would lock you inside while you are sleeping, would they? :D

OP
OP
gmtech94
Bike
st1300 vfr800
I am thinking of that possibility but will need a way to eliminate my friends tricks ,thanks for the tip.

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
I did a lot of research on trailers last fall before purchasing one. If you plan to keep it long term, make the investment in a better built trailer that will last without problems vs an el cheapo that will self destruct in a short order of time. I've seen enough broken welds on poorly constructed trailers.

For me in TN, many trailers come up out of GA. Some of these are really poorly built but others are halfway decent. It all comes down to construction methods, materials and workmanship. I looked at quite a few new ones and used ones. Cheap feels cheap and the well built trailers are out there, but for more money.

The long and short of it is that in my research led me to Homesteader Trailers built in eastern TN. Their Hercules line was the best built that I could find yet still be a reasonable price. They had heavier construction methods for a trailer that should last many years. I went with a tandem axle 8' x 14' extra tall because that was what I found used in like new condition at a good price. This will be used to haul 200-300 gallons of water, pressure wash equipment, hydraulic oil, 200-500 gallons of diesel and anything else that I can stuff into it and keep within its weight capacity. I will also likely put in a wall mounted fold down bed in case I want to stay on the jobsite. It will also be used for FerrySTOC to keep our wood dry and provide an indoor space for supplies.

Remember, you usually get what you pay for. Be sure to get a side door and a ramp door. If you plan on sleeping in it, get vents and a screen door, maybe a window too.

Last edited:

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I am thinking of that possibility but will need a way to eliminate my friends tricks ,thanks for the tip.

Cut a section in the floor that can be lifted out of place. Then drop through to the ground under the trailer.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Check out http://www.rnrtrailers.com/

They are factory direct. I bought a 5'x8' flat bed trailer from them a couple of years ago and am really happy with it. Their trailers are aluminum which is what I was looking for so it would not rust. Its well built.

Not the best picture, but the only one I currently have of mine:

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
All you need to do is put your locks in the hasps and have some sliding bolts inside. Of course you could always get better friends.
Any really creative 'friend' could work around this - for example take some rope and tie the hasp and lock to the strap. I really like the trap door idea. How about a window for ventilation and a possible emergency exit?

OP
OP
gmtech94
Bike
st1300 vfr800
Some of my friends are very creative I am thinking a window for ventilation of course to avoid all friends . I am looking at a 7x 14 right now as it seems to be the best solution ,only problem in Ontario you need to have a special yellow tag to show truck and trailer have been safetied , lots of money to do for a brand new trailer .

OP
OP
gmtech94
Bike
st1300 vfr800
Thanks Mike I have the truck inspected but still need a trailer inspection done on a brand new trailer .Still working on this .

Saint Joe

Joe
Bike
'12 ST1300A
Check out http://www.rnrtrailers.com/

They are factory direct. I bought a 5'x8' flat bed trailer from them a couple of years ago and am really happy with it. Their trailers are aluminum which is what I was looking for so it would not rust. Its well built.
I bought a 7x14 Cargo trailer from them a few years ago when the Can. $$$ was more around par and am pretty happy with it also, although there are some things I've found over the years that I think they could have done better for next to no change in price. Actually hauled mine home to Alberta on a flatdeck car hauler my buddy bought from them, so that helped cut our pickup & delivery cost. Fits a ST1300 and HD Softail with quite a bit of room to spare.

Joe

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Some of my friends are very creative I am thinking a window for ventilation of course to avoid all friends . I am looking at a 7x 14 right now as it seems to be the best solution ,only problem in Ontario you need to have a special yellow tag to show truck and trailer have been safetied , lots of money to do for a brand new trailer .
Perhaps my experience will help..... I have an all aluminum 7x12 V-nose with slant top, and opted for the 6' high ceiling thinking I needed to stand up inside without bumping my head and I had other uses that would benefit from the taller height. It weighs 1600 lbs (tandem axles with electric brakes). It is roomy, holds two sport tourers side by side if you offset them so they don't touch handlebars. I had tried a 6'wide which is a little snug but doable. The V-nose will let you put a dirt bike in the middle, but I'd say go for a 14' in that case.... Just a bit down the road from you is Action Trailers, who sell Neo brand (made in Michigan). I researched everywhere, and could not beat their price (including me going to the US and importing one myself).
My hauler is a Ram 1500 Hemi 8 speed. Mileage is awesome until you hook up the trailer. Oddly, empty I get about 20 l/100 and loaded isn't much of a penalty (22 l/100) and best if you stay 115 km/hr or a touch less. This thing pushes a lot of air. If I were doing only bikes, I'd go for their lower height 5'4" ceiling, and I don't think the slant nose is much of an advantage (I am not sure if they still offer the rounded tops, but with the lower height, think about that option). I think the tandem setup adds a little drag, but with what you're hauling, a single axle isn't going to be enough (3500 lbs per axle). Since you aren't too far away, you're welcome to come look at mine.
I'd think hard about needing an enclosed trailer and your other uses for one, an open one on a long haul is going to save much fuel.
You could also ask Action if they'll let you go for a test tow?
PS - I don't know about the yellow tag thing, I don't have one (1500's exempt??).

Last edited:
OP
OP
gmtech94
Bike
st1300 vfr800
Well I bought a 7x14 trailer and it will hold at least 3 bikes set up properly . It tows very well but sure makes the truck drink fuel. Thanks for all the help and advice ,and I can now help anyone with trailer or bike problems in southern Ontario .

Top Bottom