Replacing old thumb lock

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
I am looking to replace my old throttle thumb lock. I had it on my 1981 cb750 for 23 years and on my ST these past 8 years. It worked great but it is starting to slip/not hold positioning. I was going to replace it with another but looking for another alternative. Being cheap I done lots of searching and found http://www.motorcycleinnovations.ca/Go_Cruise_p/gocruise.htm?gclid=CjwKEAiA68WnBRCJxZr5qoaL3iMSJAAXIrr32Ss9w5eK-37r2-lLd_9dxe0enSr0KPRuEdgRZgJrAhoCUy_w_wcB. Has anyone used this type before and was easy to use? :07biker::bow1:

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Hi Blair. Just a thought but maybe an old tip on installing a Vista Cruise type throttle lock may help in keeping yours in service:

Wrap a piece of sandpaper around a dowel/rod the same diameter as the throttle sleeve and clamp the VC around that while you rotate it. The VC may not be perfectly round out of the box so only contacts the sleeve in a few spots. Sanding the ID of the VC will insure maximum contact with the sleeve and greatly reduce any tendency to slip. BTDT x 4 bike installs. In your case, roughing up the ID a bit with sandpaper may also help get rid of any glazing that has developed over the years, giving a renewed/better grip. My VC has about 174K on it now and I'll be taking it off again soon to give it a touchup. HTH

John

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
I bought one of those type,it works ok it takes a few slight adjustments to get it right on,but for twenty bucks its fine.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Hi Blair. Just a thought but maybe an old tip on installing a Vista Cruise type throttle lock may help in keeping yours in service:

Wrap a piece of sandpaper around a dowel/rod the same diameter as the throttle sleeve and clamp the VC around that while you rotate it.

John
Never thought of that. Thanks for the possible fix. I'll give it a try in the next week or so because there is 3-6 inches of of ice in my driveway and 2-4 inches of ice in the subdivision and major salt on the main road

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I tried one of the Omni Cruises (similar to the Go Cruise only adjustable and $30 more) on my ST and it wouldn't hold a steady speed on flat ground for 1/4 mile.I ended up returning it. Others have said it worked on theirs just fine.

http://www.omni-cruise.com/

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350

Wrap a piece of sandpaper around a dowel/rod the same diameter as the throttle sleeve and clamp the VC around that while you rotate it. The VC may not be perfectly round out of the box so only contacts the sleeve in a few spots. Sanding the ID of the VC will insure maximum contact with the sleeve and greatly reduce any tendency to slip. BTDT x 4 bike installs. In your case, roughing up the ID a bit with sandpaper may also help get rid of any glazing that has developed over the years, giving a renewed/better grip. My VC has about 174K on it now and I'll be taking it off again soon to give it a touchup. HTH

John
Great tip John! My VC needs an "adjustment" more often than I like, so this contact patch issue is probably the reason. Great product, when it holds its position properly.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Been using one since 1980. Thanks for the tips. I don't mind the fact it only holds one position. I only rest my hand for a minute for so anyway.

TC ;-)

v8-7

Site Supporter
My throttle lock was also slipping and out-cheaping you, I cut a thin strip off a plastic milk carton and used it as a shim. Been working for 2 years now.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I don't mind the fact it only holds one position.
I the metal version of the GoCruise and it can be fine tuned but both can be adjusted while riding to hold any throttle opening. Or are you talking about a throttle lock compared to a cruise control?

The Go Cruise is great as a universal TL and can be easily moved from bike to bike. The Vista Cruise takes a little adapting to work on the ST but is probably more convenient to use.

People talk about someone messing with your bike and the Go Cruise could be missing when you come back from the store or coffee. One time after a quick bite my mirrors were stolen off my 750K4. Stuff happens.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I the metal version of the GoCruise and it can be fine tuned but both can be adjusted while riding to hold any throttle opening. Or are you talking about a throttle lock compared to a cruise control?

The Go Cruise is great as a universal TL and can be easily moved from bike to bike. The Vista Cruise takes a little adapting to work on the ST but is probably more convenient to use.

People talk about someone messing with your bike and the Go Cruise could be missing when you come back from the store or coffee. One time after a quick bite my mirrors were stolen off my 750K4. Stuff happens.

I use the Vista Cruise. Simple and I don't leave it on very long. Just long enough to stretch or check for missing wallet while riding... ;-)
TC

Bike
2004 ST1300A
I had the Vista cruise on my Magna for 9 years and 35k miles. It was so easy. Once I got the ST1300 my thumb kept trying to lock it! I thought about putting one on it but figured if I had a touring bike it should have a real cruise control on it (a thought that Honda apparently never had). Nonetheless I think the idea to hit it with sandpaper is both brilliant and cost effective.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #

John
Never thought of that. Thanks for the possible fix. I'll give it a try in the next week or so because there is 3-6 inches of of ice in my driveway and 2-4 inches of ice in the subdivision and major salt on the main road
Today it was a bombing +1c with lots of ice in the driveway and road. I took off the thumb lock and roughened the interior circumference with sandpaper. It seems to have worked. I played different positions and all of them seems to hold. The only real test is May/June when the ice is gone from the road.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
I had the bike out these past 2 days and tried the rejuvenated thumb lock .....FAILURE, time to buy a new something

Top Bottom