overheating

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
1) Have you checked your overflow reservoir? If full check for a leak in 1st couple of inches in the overflow tube at the radiator.
2) Is your radiator full of fluid? (see number 1)?
2a) If your radiator doesn't have enough fluid the system will not work).
3) Do you need to replace your radiator cap (borrow the tool to check with from Autozone/Checker/O'Reilly's)?

Good luck,
Mark

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
anybody in portland oregon who can help me with my st1100 overheating problem?
Are you able to do some relatively easy work yourself? Lots of help here to get you through some possible causes of overheating, but the first thing to check and a very easy fix is the condition of the rad overflow hose at the rad cap. A very common problem where the hose is cracked from age, which causes the overflow bottle to become full, lowering the rad coolant level. Instead of coolant being sucked back into the rad as it cools, the cracked hose allows air to enter instead, leaving the rad half empty.

Simply snip off about a half inch of the hose, or at least past the stiff, cracked bit and reconnect it.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
The ST1100's cooling system is pretty much identical to a cars. As a matter of fact, it shares a couple parts with an older model civic. The hose to the reservoir is a notorious culprit on the 1100 as already mentioned, it is located under the plastic that runs along the right hand side. The radiator cap is located under the right side pocket. Not really under the pocket as next to it but you'll have to remove the pocket fairing to get to it. Directly under and to the front of the radiator cap is the thermostat. It is also a popular item to go bad. Usually they brake in the open position but they can break shut as well. The hose, as mentioned, can be fixed for free, the thermostat can be replaced for a couple dollars if you go with a Stant brand from any auto parts store. My thermostat was stuck open when I got my ST and I replaced it with a Stant brand and it has worked great ever since. The part number is 13868 and you can get it anywhere. Beyond whats been mentioned there is also the chance that your coolant elbows are cracked or the o-rings under the elbows have gotten flat. They are located under the carbs and while still a DIY job, it is a lot more involved than the aforementioned fixes. Good luck and just ask if you need help!

Top Bottom