IBR Bike prep

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
So in preparation for the "Big Dance", I thought it would be a good idea to give my ST1300 (70,000 miles) a thorough once over, and do whatever repairs and preventative maintenance I could think of. The idea was to get it all done and then ride from my home in Arizona to the IBA's "Pizza Party" in Jacksonville in a couple of weeks. This would give me a chance to thoroughly "shakedown" the bike, and find any last details that need done, well in advance of the Rally. I don't want to be the guy with his bike torn apart in the parking lot in ABQ. So, to that end, I'm looking for suggestions or reminders of things I may have overlooked, while I still have plenty of time. Here is what I've done over the last month:

• Removed all the bodywork, and gave the entire bike a close inspection and cleaning, noting worn parts and fluid conditions.
  • New wheel bearings and seals, front and rear. The old ones seemed fine, but why take a chance?
  • Greased and adjusted steering head.
  • New rubber dampers in drive assembly. Again, the old ones looked fine, but they are cheap, so why not.
  • Checked swingarm bearings, suspension pivots, shock preload, and damping. (I have a Progressive Suspension setup)
  • Changed the fuel pump and strainer.
  • New fuel filter.
  • New upper to lower tank hose.
  • New air filter.
  • Checked valve clearances.
  • Spark plugs replaced 15,000 miles ago.
  • Complete inspection of the factory and my auxiliary wiring harnesses, secured routing, check for chafing or any issues.
  • Replaced all incandescent bulbs.
  • Flushed front and rear brakes, replaced fluid. (Edit: Clutch too)
  • Cleaned caliper pistons.
  • New brake pads front and rear.
  • Rebuilt forks, new seals and fresh oil.
  • Cooling system flush and new coolant. (Edit: New thermostat too)
  • Swapped out keylock gas cap for screw-off type. (Speeds up fuel stops - no need to remove/replace Key from ignition)
  • Replaced battery with new AGM type.
  • Replaced all batteries in TPMS sensors and head.
  • Checked all bolt torque specs.
  • Lubricated windshield sliders.
  • Full systems check of all added accessories, USB ports, Powerlet plugs, SPOT, GPS, NEXRAD weather radar, both sets of aux lights, fuel cell vent and filter, top box computer power, etc.
  • Polished the windshield with Plexus.

Shortly before the IBR I will fit new tires, and do an oil change.
So folks, what have I missed? Your input and suggestions are very welcome, particularly those of you who have ridden in a previous IBR.

Thanks, Garry
Gilbert, AZ

Last edited:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
How about servicing your pre-load adjuster for the rear shock as it will be dry if you have not done this or replaced the rear shock. I see you flushed your coolant but did you replace the thermostat?

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for the input! Yes, the thermostat has been replaced, just last year. I also flushed the clutch fluid when i did the brakes. The rear suspension has been replaced with a complete Progressive setup, it has been serviced and checked.
Thanks guys very much! Never hurts to double check. Appreciate the input!

Garry

Bike
2010 ST1300
Wash and wax the bike so it slips through the air easier? Fill the gas tank?

Is it spark plug replacement time? Only thing I didn't see on your list.

Seriously, sounds like you've done a great job of prepping the bike. I'd suggest you take it out for a 2 or 3 hour test drive - get the bike up to operating temp and keep it there for a while to see if any leaks develop, etc. Then start packing for your long ride.

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Yes, I have test ridden the bike to check for leaks, etc. All good. Plugs were done last fall at last valve clearance check. Changed out the wires at the same time, as the old ones were sort of hard and brittle.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
I know the SMC has caused issues with some folks. Easy enough to see if it functioning properly now, but how to detect a future problem? I've never had to mess with mine but something to think about.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I didn't see a throttle body sync or replacement of the coolant clamps with constant torque ("Breeze") clamps (do you ever get a whiff of coolant when the bike is warm)? I wouldn't dig into the bike to do either before using it this season, particularly as neither will improve reliability, but these might be worth your time next year. I'm going to use your list next winter if I have time to really go through my bike, very thorough.

Bike
2008 ST1300A Red
Wow!!! That is thorough. I usually check my fluids, tire tread and pressure and make sure all the lights work and off I go. One day I will be sorry. On the other hand if I removed the bodywork, I wouldn't have to worry. There would be no Iron Butt.

RCS

1. Check all radiator hoses for good integrity and all radiator hose clamps.
2. I would replace the U-Joint at 70,000 if you plan on going long. Not a hard job. Some ride well over 100,000 miles with no problems but a bad U-Joint is a game end mostly because the part is not readily stocked and sometimes takes weeks to get in inventory...At a minimum, keep a new, or slightly used, U-joint in your on board repair kit along with an extra engine oil plug.
3. Check rear wheel flange bearings. I would replace them as a precaution as they are inexpensive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
[QUOTE;1832787]Train your butt to get used to sitting for very long periods.....What I mean if the bike is prepped are you?

Good luck and enjoy the ride..[/QUOTE]
Hi Valkman, that is very good advice. To that end, I did two IBA rides concurrently as a litmus test for exactly the question you raised.
In Sept of 2013, I rode to 49 states in 8.5 days, and then finished the trip over the next 30 hours, ending up with not quite 11,000 miles in less than 10 days. I took a couple days off the ST, rode some dirt bikes with a buddy, and then rode the 2000 miles home in 34 hours. I am pretty confident I can do the miles.

Thanks Bob, good advice there. I have checked the bikes U-joints, when I went through the swingarm and suspension. All seems good. Smooth and no signs of play or wear.
The rad hoses, clamps, and a few other hoses were all replaced when I did the first coolant flush and the new T-Stat, during original build of the bike. I also have closely checked the water pump for any signs of a potential problem, but it looks good. The bike has never leaked a drop of anything, except for the time I didn't get a valve cover gasket sealed properly. That's been fixed long ago, and I have a new method that prevent it from happening again. (I now use Yamabond to cement the gasket to the cover and let it dry overnight before installing them.)
I did all the wheel bearings and the flange bearings at the same time last week.

I bought this bike in May of 2013 with 24,000 miles on it. I rode it home, put it on the lift and began modifying it for LD and Rally use. On Aug 1st 2013 it was finally done, and came off the lift for the first time since May.
By the end of 2013, it had over 62,000 miles on it!

Thanks for all the thought and advice! Much appreciated!

Garry

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Sounds like both you and the bike are ready! Good luck in the IBR Garry. I'm 'planning' an SS1k for this spring but not sure I could ever do 11k/11day rally. Sure would like to hear how it goes for you.

Bike
BMW F650GS
STOC #
Good luck at the "big dance". There will be PLENTY of stresses during the rally that have nothing to do with the bike...you don't need issues coming from every direction.

I don't know if everyone has this reaction to the rally. Upon waking up in the middle of the night for several months after the rally was over, I'd rush around the house trying to figure out where I was and where I was supposed to be, all the while knowing I was late and knowing I needed to get on the road asap.

Geoffrey Greene
IBR '01 '03 '05

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Good luck at the "big dance". There will be PLENTY of stresses during the rally that have nothing to do with the bike...you don't need issues coming from every direction.

I don't know if everyone has this reaction to the rally. Upon waking up in the middle of the night for several months after the rally was over, I'd rush around the house trying to figure out where I was and where I was supposed to be, all the while knowing I was late and knowing I needed to get on the road asap.

Geoffrey Greene
IBR '01 '03 '05
Any more IBR's in your future Geoffrey?

A

Bike
2006 ST1300

Geoffrey Greene
IBR '01 '03 '05
I've heard of that with some other IBR participants. I can understand it. Even with shorter IBA rides or shorter rallies I've found myself on edge for a couple days after, sometimes as I'm waking up or just running routing and other scenarios through my head. It takes time to turn off competition mode.

Bike
BMW F650GS
STOC #
Any more IBR's in your future Geoffrey?

A
I'd like to think it's a possibility, but my better half says I've nothing to prove, even to myself, and so I'm done. I've yet to convince her that it's just a game that can be played more than once...even if by some chance you actually "won" the game. I will admit that finishing three times, once each with a bronze, silver, and gold medal, I can live with being retired from the event.

It's an incredible experience, but can also be a frightfully expensive proposition. Trying my best to stay within a budget, I'd say it still easily got near $4,000 for the event counting the entry fee, lodging, gas, tires, special modifications, etc. And then there was the issue of explaining to the better half that I had no more vacation time for the year in which to take her anywhere (maybe the most expensive part of the whole thing!). And if I sent her somewhere solo, well, the expenses soared. The flip side of that, of course, is that I could easily spend that much on a trip to ride in Europe or New Zealand...I guess you pick your poison and go with it.

I had plans to participate in the Hopeless Rally (required a sub 500cc bike or one 30+ years old) a few years ago which provided the winner with a non-draw entry (not a paid entry, but it was an "in") into the "big dance". I had a pretty good route laid out which, riding an '80 Suzuki GS450E would have given me either 1st or 2nd place. Alas, the bike's charging system died on the way to the start, and I didn't even get out of Tennessee on the way to Oklahoma. Had that not happened and had I won, my better half would have just had to deal with it. I would have been on the starting line the next year riding the 450 or another one of my "hopeless" bikes.

Geoffrey Greene
Knoxville, Tennessee
IBR '01 '03 '05

Bike
2003 ST1300 ABS

Geoffrey Greene
IBR '01 '03 '05
This is absolutely true. I've not run an IBR - I don't know that I'll ever have the funds to justify doing so, but I did do the Team Strange Butt Lite 4 back in 2006 (7 day rally). It was a great experience, but incredibly hard. I can concur that for months afterward, I would wake up at odd times freaking out that I was supposed to be somewhere and that I was going to be late to a checkpoint or bonus. It's pretty surreal and I too have heard that it's not uncommon.

Good luck to Garry - sounds like you've prepped yourself well. Stay safe.

Bike
2010 ST1300
How old is your battery? Did you look in the fuse box and relay connections for corrosion? Do you carry spare fuses and a mini compressor? Test the compressor. Right angle tire valves (a bit late now, but maybe next time)?

Top Bottom