ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Is it just me or do the ST1300s sound like George Jetson's Car

With Jane his Wife......:eek::

Bike
2010 ST1300
But my ST doesn't fold up into a briefcase sized box. Where's the button for that?

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Next time I need to renew my registration on the bike I have the vanity tag already picked out: GJETSN. (GJETSON is too long for a motorcycle tag in Maryland, and someone else already has JETSON. J3TSON is still available, though.)

I'm also thinking about changing tags on my four wheeled rigs: NOT4SNO on the Mini, and FORSNOW on the Tacoma SR5 4x4. Seems particularly appropriate this winter, somehow...

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Yea I like the briefcase Farkle. We could make millions...... Motorcycle Larry ??????

Anyone?

;-)

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
It is a unique sound.
I kinda like the quite hum with lots of get up and go. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I have always liked the "spacey" sound. And the triangle exhaust is kinda cool too.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I had a guy pull up alongside me at the stoplight once.. driving a Chevy all tricked out with 22 rims... he was chewing on one of those brown paper wrapped cigarettes, he glanced over while we were sitting at the light and gave the bike a once over.

After a moment of looking he spoke up "Hey, that thing got an automatic in it?"
I glanced over, "Nope"

We both looked back ahead.

I turned back to him "Why? Cause of the sound?" And then I looked back at the light.

He glanced over and pulled the cigarette out... "Yep"... then put the cigarette back in and toked it, looking forward to the light.
I just responded.. "Kind of remind you of grannies old sewing machine?"

Out of the corner of my eye I see him just about inhale the cigarette and spit it back out as he busts a gut laughing...

You meet the nicest people on a Honda!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Further, that exhaust note doesn't wear me out after a long day in the saddle.
That's what I really like about the ST. If memory serves my previous bikes didn't make so much engine noise so I'm not a fan of even a Jetson sound. But even on long days I don't notice the exhaust note at all.

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
I've ridden a couple of time through the Redwoods in Northern California. As I was twittering through big trees I was sure the bike sounded just like the speeder bikes in Return of the Jedi. I was even make the "pew-pew" blaster sound effects in my helmet. :-D

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
So funny....I think I did the same thing when I rode that area. Those huge redwoods are just too cool.
T

Last edited:
Bike
16 R1200RT
In the November 2006 issue of Motorcyclist, they stated that "the ST generates a flat exhaust note that alternatively impersonates the Jetsons' family sedan and the outboard-motor-from-hell."
I think that is pretty spot on!

Sharky

Bike
2007 st1300 silver
My 07 with delkevics and a bazzaz unit sound like a ducati and a apprilla vee four. When I come up to lights and take off people don't know what was that. I like it.

Bike
02 ST 1100
STOC #
I like the sound of my 1100.
Of the 3 bikes I ride I like the sound of the 1100 best.
I have looked at other mufflers for the 1100, and decided that the price was a lot more than I wanted to spend just to get a sound that I might not like anyway.
She probably wouldn't like the sound either and not run as good.
It has been a long time since I rode a loud bike, and I was much younger.
I'm a lot older and quieter in many ways.
Don't care for Loud Pipes, Loud Music, Loud Women, don't have loud mufflers on my Truck either.
Still shoot Handguns, and wear Ear Plugs, and Ear Muffs too.
I seem to have gotten a lot Quieter in my Old Age, I wear Ear Plugs about 90% of the time when Riding my bikes.
This is because of the Wind Noise, not the Pipes.
I wish I could find a good Helmet, that would work like the Ear Muffs I wear when shooting.

Rusty

Bike
2004 ST1300A
The Jetson car/sewing machine sound was a little to much (read: annoying) for me, so as soon as I got the bike I put on the two brothers exhaust that came with it (I think that says something that the $800 aftermarket exhaust was NOT installed but instead in a box). If I was going on a log trip I might be tempted to put the oem's back on just because the current set up might be too much (read: loud) if subjected to it for long periods.

Isn't there a tip of some kind you can put on the end of the TB's?

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
The Jetson car/sewing machine sound was a little to much (read: annoying) for me, so as soon as I got the bike I put on the two brothers exhaust that came with it (I think that says something that the $800 aftermarket exhaust was NOT installed but instead in a box). If I was going on a log trip I might be tempted to put the oem's back on just because the current set up might be too much (read: loud) if subjected to it for long periods.

Isn't there a tip of some kind you can put on the end of the TB's?
Dunno about Two Brothers; my experience is only with the Staintunes that the OO installed on my bike so I've never ridden with the OEMs. I find that I don't hear them at all after I reach about 25 or 30, but on a ride with a couple others last month they both commented that the did hear them when they behind me. Not so much when I was trailing, AFAIK.

Any chance that you may simply learn to tune them out?

Top Bottom