Accident

Bike
2009 STX1300ABS
Hi everyone

its been a while since i have been on hope everyone is ok.
Started my usual trip to work this morning pulled off the dual carriageway up the slip road and up to the roundabout on the bridge.
I was stopped at the junction in lane one and a car was also stopped in lane two.
The roundabout had two lanes with traffic coming around at speed early morning commuters going to work.
i was waiting for a clear moment to pull out but there was a car stopped behind me who decided to proceed forward into me without warning pushing me into the roundabout.
My panniers were ripped off and smashed full of holes both the lids and the part with the locks and the right hand crash bar seems to have done its job.
bike was moved to the side of the road by some helpful people once it was back in neutral.
The bike also started as well so i am hopeful it will be ok for repair i on the other hand was taken to hospital with fractured little finger lower back pain fingers are black hurts like hell.
I had rear chevrons fitted to panniers rear brake light showing and full hi viz gear but she was just not looking at me but past me at the roundabout.
I give up nothing i could do just so fed up of the way everyone is driving always in a hurry no time to think and to top it off when i was on the floor in the middle of the roundabout with the bike they were sounding there hornes because i was in the way and one car mounted the roundabout to go around me i would of helped.

I am typing with my other hand my clutch hand is out of action for a while pain killers and rest go to the hospital fracture clinic next and the bike should hopefully be out of the police compound and at my honda dealer for assement tommorow

Thats my story for today not the best start for the weekend ahead but lucky to be alive just glad the traffic on the roundabout did not hit me as well.

the lady in question has admitted to the police she was at fault and will attend a drivers improvement course.

i just hope she learns from it i keep trying to asses what i can do different as i myself always look to improve and be more aware

ride safe my friends but beware of the dangers from behind that we have no control over.

Martin

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
That sux! But you are here to tell the story so hope you heal quickly and completely.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Sorry to hear this--the only good from it is the person that hit you owned up to their being at fault. Good luck and speedy recovery.

Martin...(1)...man-o-man!...I'm so glad you can communicate to us!...I cringe at your pain/injury description!!...(2) as stated... could have been much worse... but, that is not to discount how bad it is... being stopped at top of que for your roundabout lane is being a pigeon at a shooting event!...& she was obviously a perfect example of the attention given to driving projectiles with four wheels nowadays... unfortunately risks mean SOMEONE falls victim to someone else's carelessness SOMEWHERE... and sorry it was you today that suffered!... with so much tragedy daily funneled our way in this global information age I will again express to you my cringing at your painful circumstance... please be glad for you not being further greatly incapacitated as I contemplate that what happened to you could well happen to me the next time!... heal well, riding buddy,... keep us in touch!...& for you:.....OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bow1::bow1::bow1::03biker:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
So sorry to hear....hope for fast and easy recovery.
Does the local news post things like this on TV? If so you can use it as a reminder to all the general public to watch for Motorcycles...... if you can get them to do a peice on you.

Hope you heal with as little pain as possible

TC

Bike
Vstrom 650
Sorry to hear this mate and glad you weren't injured worse, the roads are lethal, people are getting more stupid as time goes on it seems to me,between radios phones sat navs and all the other crap going on inside a car they haven't the intelligence to watch where they are going.
Heal well and hope your bike isn't too badly damaged,and sue that dumbo that hit you.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
So sorry to hear you got banged around but glad it wasn't any worse than the already bad that it is.

I try not to be first in line at an intersection, so that the cagers behind me will (I theorize) at least see the vehicle in front of me and react to that even if I am invisible to them.

Like you I wear a high-vis jacket and helmet. My rear reflective stickers are not conspicuous at all in daylight- in fact they are virtually invisible- so I don't have that going for me until it's headlight time. I have yet to add more tail / stop lighting but it's on the farkling list for "someday".

Hope you get everything sorted out in good season, and that you don't suffer any long-term ill effects from the experience.

OP
OP
easy rider
Bike
2009 STX1300ABS
thanks for the kind words and support everyone its very much appreciated its time for more pain killers and bed.
must try and not roll over onto my hand as i think its gonna hurt.
i will keep you up to date with my story and how my ST1300 is doing

many thanks everyone

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ouch! Total bummer, hope you heal fast and that you can take care of the bike okay!

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
Glad for what good luck you salvaged in that scene, mate. In the safety scene we focus on fatal stats a lot as we direct the course of new or evolving curricula. Strikes from behind has historically been such a minute % that it hasn't carried much equity in the larger conversation. That started to change 7-8 years ago, and has multiplied in the past 4-5 years at a staggering rate. It's come center stage in most curricula, and 'checking your 6' is the thing I hammer more students about, with greater frequency, than any other single bit while conducting on street training. Safety while slowing or stopped carries the same basic principals as when your rolling : Be in gear and ready to alter course; dedicate most of your visual observation in the areas where your highest risk hazards are; look for and have a plan to use at least two escapes. That equation stays constant, the conclusions are dynamic to the variables and conditions. Heal quickly, mate.

OP
OP
easy rider
Bike
2009 STX1300ABS
hi everyone

Well here is an update on my situation and damage to the pan

right muffler
band muffler
packing muffler
rear light assy
brake pedal
engine guard right
engine guard cover
cowl comp r lower
cowl set
fender a
fender b
complete set of new left and right panniers
bolt flange
bolt cap
reg plate

Taking a few weeks off work not really feeling to good don't sleep very well keep hearing the noise as she hit me from behind and seeing the traffic that nearly hit me.
My fingers on left hand are still to be kept strapped up until fractures start to heal.
the rest of my body just aches plenty of pain killers for now
insurance is taking its time don't even have a claim handler yet
Honda dealer has been amazing as usual picked my bike up from police compound and had the quote ready by the next day just waiting for the insurance company to start moving.

Honda dealer thinks they will fix her up, don't really want to see the old girl go she has got me through a lot over the years and there is plenty left in her yet.
( I mean the bike not the wife) I bought this bike through my dealer former owner was a retired motorcycle cop who used the bike to follow other riders when training.

Think I might add the rear stop light for the top box as another precaution.

I am determined to ride again everyone thinks its time to hang up my helmet, sure its scared me but I love riding and I am not dead yet, we live to ride another day
Though the fracture clinic is a scary place there are people with some really bad situations which makes me think that my St. Christopher pendant in my hi viz jacket plus a hell of a lot of luck
has kept me safe.

Its now time to face the long road of recovery and physiotherapy plus phone calls reference numbers and insurance oh what fun my last accident claim went on for over a year before it was all tied up and that was not my fault either lets hope this is the last.

we all know the risks but we push on.

best wishes to all martin

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Martin,

Thanks for the update and keep us posted how you and the bike are doing!

Hope you can get through all this pain swiftly!

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Jeepers, Martin, I have no idea how I missed this until now. I'm sorry this happened to you but awfully glad you're as "OK" as you are!
As for your comments about having trouble sleeping and dealing with other peoples' comments and judgments, I'm all too familiar with all of that...I still have 'flashbacks' from the nasty crash I had almost 3 years ago. I was incredibly lucky as well and was also determined to ride again, despite well-meaning people telling me to stop. Those comments are not helpful and almost invariably come from people who don't ride motorcycles. No riders I know (and I know many) ever made comments like that - not one. They/we understand.

Hang in there. Good thoughts to you for quick healing and hope the insurance company gets off its duff and gets you sorted!

Patty

Top Bottom