Accident

OP
OP
easy rider
Bike
2009 STX1300ABS
Hi Everyone

Just thought I would update you on my accident.
My St1300 is all fixed just waiting for my Honda dealer to arrange delivery as I still am not ready to ride.
Hand is improving and I am working on my physiotherapy with the hospital to get my fingers moving.
Still suffering some back pain and headaches probably tension with the headaches.

The police have finished there investigation and have sufficient evidence to prosecute the other driver however to enable people to learn from there stupidity they will offer a drivers awareness course at the expense of the driver. If this course is not taken they will of course prosecute.
The driver will after successfully completing the course be given a warning letter stating if any such offences are committed within the next three years they will be prosecuted.
So that brings that to a close I am still recovering and to be honest I am still a concerned about riding as this has really has made me realise just how bad people drive. This evening I was on my way home in the car with my wife and as she pulled into the inside lane a BMW came speeding up in the outside lane and nearly smashed into a van in the outside lane, the guy in the BMW really had to brake hard.
I just don't get it where is the sense there either up the back of you on the phone or cutting in front of you and they really don't care who gets hurt.

My bike has now had the stop light fitted to the top box as extra brake lights and my panniers will have the hi viz chevrons fitted again I have a new mil spec hi viz
vest to go over my gear and I am also having two ghost drift HD cameras one to cover the front on my helmet and the other to cover my rear end.
Liability has of course been excepted by her insurance and to be fair they had no choice the evidence against pretty much case closed.

So thats it I hope to be riding again soon really do miss the bike but until I get out there not sure how I will feel all I do know is just like a horse rider its what I do and I can't stop riding I love riding its who I am,

Another experience to add to my list in life, it really does make you think and appreciate what you have and just how fragile your life is.

Thanks for listening my friends

Safe riding the summer is upon us

best wishes martin

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
It's good that you are able to post about the accident.... means you are reasonably healthy, glad you were not hurt worse. The driver will realize the repercussions when the insurance payment comes due. Was she texting or on the phone?

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Good news Martin, I'm glad you're on the mend. You will get back out there and when you do, ease into it, feel your "bike legs" again, enjoy the ride and keep on rolling!

Patty

Bike
2004 ST 1300
Glad you are recovering OK. More and more drivers are distracted these days, I especially notice cell phone users to be the worse.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I just don't get it where is the sense there either up the back of you on the phone or cutting in front of you and they really don't care who gets hurt.
A question for the Ages. Two days ago I was on a freeway in my full size car in the fast (left lane over here) when someone with the front of their car only a couple of feet ahead of the front of mine decided to change lanes. My car horn had no affect and I was on the shoulder of the road to avoid being sideswiped. As the driver continued I saw the turn signal. The driver just signaled and turned but never looked. Maybe just checked the mirror.

Conspicuity is a big help. Stay sharp though. Good luck with your therapy.

Bike
07 ST1300A
Martin, Glad you're okay. Your narrative is specially troubling and it seems like I have to alter my riding habits. I usually watch my behind in a stop light and stay in gear. I flash my brake lights when I see a vehicle approaching and if the vehicle behind me makes a complete stop, I tend to go into neutral to give the clutch hand a break. Looks like I can't rely on that at roundabouts, as there is no light controlling when drivers think they can pull ahead. We are getting more and more roundabouts around where I live. Your story will remain in my mind anytime I approach those.

--Ram

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
I can just see what she was doing: looking right ready to merge with the traffic, and creeping... not really looking forward and seeing you on a big bike stopped in front of her. This scenario frightens the carp out of me, over here (Canada) you can turn right on a red light if no traffic and not everyone does a full stop before they do turn right. It is too easy for them to be focussed on seeing that no traffic is approaching than on the bike in front who is going straight on and must wait for the green light.
Glad you are on the mend, take care - from another Welshman.

Top Bottom