Is Legal Lane Splitting coming to your State?

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
In the UK, the Highway Code allowed for Filtering (Lane Splitting in the US) up to 27 mph. In the latest edition of the Highway Code they've removed the maximum speed and now it says (section 88):
... Additionally, when filtering in slow-moving traffic, take care and keep your speed low.
Low isn't defined. Is low 60 mph in a 70 mph area? It's certainly lower than the limit*.

I think, when introducing the law in the US, a maximum speed should be given i.e. 30 mph until all road users are used to the idea of motorcycles filtering. At which point, it can be amended as above.

I do hope it is passed so you have the opportunity to Filter when the situation calls for it.

* Note I Filter regularly probably about 20-30 miles every day. Low, to me, is about 30 mph in most traffic and, under certain very specific circumstances, up to 50 mph when the all the traffic is stationary with absolutely no opportunity to change lanes. Everyone has their own opinion on "low" - your mileage will vary :).

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300 Pan
In the UK, the Highway Code allowed for Filtering (Lane Splitting in the US) up to 27 mph. In the latest edition of the Highway Code they've removed the maximum speed and now it says (section 88):

Low isn't defined. Is low 60 mph in a 70 mph area? It's certainly lower than the limit*.

I think, when introducing the law in the US, a maximum speed should be given i.e. 30 mph until all road users are used to the idea of motorcycles filtering. At which point, it can be amended as above.

I do hope it is passed so you have the opportunity to Filter when the situation calls for it.

* Note I Filter regularly probably about 20-30 miles every day. Low, to me, is about 30 mph in most traffic and, under certain very specific circumstances, up to 50 mph when the all the traffic is stationary with absolutely no opportunity to change lanes. Everyone has their own opinion on "low" - your mileage will vary :).
Form discussion with the boys in Blue on various courses, the 'perceived wisdom' is up to c.30 MPH is okay, above this most will watch you very carefully and you may be pulled over and asked to justify your filtering speed, and depending on your response may lead to further action.

Cheers

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
Vinny,

Come to Europe and try it, then comment.

Mulski,

Ah, but I'm not in the UK - just quoting from the Highway Code and putting the cat among the pigeons...

In and around Paris I've watched them Filter at well above 70 mph, now that's not low to me.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
I am hoping that Washington passes this legislation as part of my commute is always congested regardless of time of day.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've been lane splitting (off and on, mostly on) over the last 43 years. I don't necessarily keep to their guidelines, I find the longer you are next to a cage the better chance you have of them squeezing you into the cage on the other side. The big thing is being able to read the traffic and then judge what your speed should be. Too many factors to say what is a good habit and what is a bad one!

But I would like to see it in all states! That way, when I come to visit your state, I don't have to worry about it! :D

Bike
ST1300/GSX1300R
It's not legal in Florida either. There are so many poor drivers here that I'm not sure it would be a good idea.
Filtering at lights would be a good idea though, get the bikes through and out of the way.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
It's not legal in Florida either. There are so many poor drivers here that I'm not sure it would be a good idea.
Filtering at lights would be a good idea though, get the bikes through and out of the way.

I'd love to see it everywhere. Although I believe that we will have some bikes filter up through the lights and then hold up traffic by going too slow when the light changes. You know the type. They just want to be heard and seen?

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'd love to see it everywhere. Although I believe that we will have some bikes filter up through the lights and then hold up traffic by going too slow when the light changes. You know the type. They just want to be heard and seen?
I got to admit, that is one thing (in all of my years riding) that I haven't seen!

Even here in the Golden State, if a biker did that, he would probably be ran off the road!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Although I believe that we will have some bikes filter up through the lights and then hold up traffic by going too slow when the light changes. You know the type. They just want to be heard and seen?
Must be an NC thing. Out this way bikes wanna roll and faster than cars. Except now and then a car wants to race a bike off the line. LOL!

Even if there were riders that did as you mentioned they'd still be too few in number to make legalizing lane splitting and filtering a problem.

I've only live in CA but usually filtering to the front is all I do. The ST is so much wider than my other bikes it gives me pause.

Bike
2008 ST1300A Red
You Lane Split in Alabama and somebody with a gun rack in there truck will take off your tupperware.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Kentucky isn't one of the states considering it but our neighbor to the south, Tennessee, is so hopefully if it passes there, it will make it up here eventually.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Colorado would never consider legalizing something like that, that is recreational--well, except marijuana.
;-)

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Re: slow riders saving lives with their loud pipes

Contrary to the other CA responses that everyone rides fast here, I've been held back by them numerous times coming back from camping in Idyllwild, while driving my full size 4x4 truck. The other thing they do sometimes that really p!sses me off is when they ride an inch from the centerline and have their highway pegs sticking out into my lane.

Re: ST wideness while lane splitting

Not sure about the 1300 but the problem with the 1100 isn't that its terribly wide, its that the mirrors are at the same level as car mirrors, so you lose a lot of clearance because of it. To avoid clipping their mirrors you need a lot of extra space. All the other bikes I've owned had mirrors at a different level, so there was nothing to interfere, you practically had to hit the side of the car to make any contact at all.

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
Unless a MASSIVE cager education effort is undertaken in the states where splitting is new, I predict a backlash of some sort by said cagers who, ignorant of the new law, will sputter in righteous indignation about "dem reckless moorcikle hoodlums cutting through traffic like a bat outta hell" and taking it upon themselves to "educate" said "hoodlums" by some nefarious method, using the only thing at their disposal (their cage). I'm all for splitting, but I predict a period of adjustment during which there wil be some unfortunate situations for the Riders involved.

Good Ridin'
slmjim

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: ST wideness while lane splitting

Not sure about the 1300 but the problem with the 1100 isn't that its terribly wide, its that the mirrors are at the same level as car mirrors, so you lose a lot of clearance because of it. To avoid clipping their mirrors you need a lot of extra space.
Like yesterday, splitting the 405, I had one case where I would not wanted to put my finger between the mirror next to me and my bike's mirror. But that's what happens when cagers drift on you. Still made it through unscathed! :D

Also had a couple of LOUD cruisers on Ortega. They were holding up a line of traffic. I got around that traffic and when I caught up to them, they attempted to pour on the coals, but just didn't have enough. I was soon around them and enjoying the twists and turns...for about five miles until I caught up with the next group...:eek::

The ST1300 is a great bike for splitting traffic. But the mirrors do match up with the smaller cages! I always make sure I have at least an inch or two when I go by them!

Top Bottom