Is Legal Lane Splitting coming to your State?

Bike
2007 ST1300A
All good points to ponder and watch for! :D

In my 43+ years of lane splitting, I have had two doors opened on me. Neither did it to stop me. One thing cage drivers need to understand. If I hit their door, yes, that will stop me, but what do you think 1,000 pounds of metal and flesh will do to their door and probably them as the bike comes into their cage? :eek:4:
LOL, lets just hope it's not YOUR flesh going into their door.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Here's a little scene from a Belgian program called "What If..."

At the end the lady says: "It's a traffic jam for everybody!"

To be honest I have never encountered the above scene, and the number of 'close calls' I can count with the fingers on one hand.
Keep speed difference low enough, don't linger in blind spots, don't rush towards an empty spot because chances are a car will try to move into it (without looking and/or indicating), just like you would do yourself if you were stuck in your cage, keep your brakes covered and you should be fine.
That's how you would get done in Arkansas... I just avoid the freeway anyway when it's that bad

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
A video from Australia...

[video]https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1562982180633384[/video]

Bike
2010 ST1300
I had a nice little chat with WA State patrol Friday. I was pulled over for filtering. The officer said I was number 5 that day. His concern was that I might scare someone and that the scared driver would pull into my lane of travel. The officer was out of tickets so he had to call in an other officer. 2 officers responded which gave me a laugh as every driver going by was rubber necking. The 2nd officer who wrote the citation told me that not only did Washington not legalize filtering; they passed a bill that says thou shalt not. They do allow air cooled bikes to ride the left shoulder if traffic is stopped but no faster than 10mph.

Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
I had a nice little chat with WA State patrol Friday. I was pulled over for filtering. The officer said I was number 5 that day. His concern was that I might scare someone and that the scared driver would pull into my lane of travel. The officer was out of tickets so he had to call in an other officer. 2 officers responded which gave me a laugh as every driver going by was rubber necking. The 2nd officer who wrote the citation told me that not only did Washington not legalize filtering; they passed a bill that says thou shalt not. They do allow air cooled bikes to ride the left shoulder if traffic is stopped but no faster than 10mph.
Bummer. Not that it matters, but were you filtering or lane splitting? Lane splitting is riding through moving traffic. Filtering is riding to the front through stopped traffic, like at a stop light. I've never filtered here in WA, but I've "kind of" lane split when cars have been driving side by side for miles on end for no apparent reason. :)

Bike
2010 ST1300
Bummer. Not that it matters, but were you filtering or lane splitting? Lane splitting is riding through moving traffic. Filtering is riding to the front through stopped traffic, like at a stop light. I've never filtered here in WA, but I've "kind of" lane split when cars have been driving side by side for miles on end for no apparent reason. :)
I stand corrected in my terms. I was splitting.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Their "Thou Shall Not" is all derived from those that haven't a clue! Like the same idiots in Sacramento that sidelined the bill here because they needed more studies! Yeah, studies that they will sponsor to argue against the Berkeley study that said it was safer!

Bike
2010 ST1300
Yup, the original officer that pulled me over didnt want to listen either. In his words we dont lane split in wa.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Last edited:
Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
Cjames,

What were the conditions where you got caught? Was traffic moving at all? Which road? How did the WSP see you (before you saw them)? Inquiring minds want to know. :-D

Bike
2010 ST1300
Cjames,

What were the conditions where you got caught? Was traffic moving at all? Which road? How did the WSP see you (before you saw them)? Inquiring minds want to know. :-D
I was N bound on I5 between 512 and 84 St. The trooper was in an unmarked Chevy. Traffic was travelimv less than 20mph because I was passing cars at 20mph. The trooper was in the far left lane. I was traveling between the far lf and rt lanes. He actually pulled into my path in an effort to stop me. Didnt realize he was a trooper at that point. It was about 6pmish.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Whether it does or doesn't, it will not make a difference for me. Way too many diseased maniacs who can't follow the rules of road now. I really do not want to be a victim of "Road Rage" in the Garden State or anywhere else for that matter.

Bike
2010 ST1300
So, I have some good news on my ticket. The judge threw it out because the citing officer did not submit a witness statement. Saves me from giving the state 136 bucks.:cop2::nanner1:

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
Good job standing up and fighting it. :yes:

What was the citation for? Is there a lane splitting law or was it a generic "failure to use due care and caution"?

Bike
2007 ST1300A
So, I have some good news on my ticket. The judge threw it out because the citing officer did not submit a witness statement. Saves me from giving the state 136 bucks.:cop2::nanner1:
Awesome for you! Good to know that ticket is only 136 bucks. Just so I know what I might have to pay next time I visit family. In May I rode up to Tacoma, I hit Portland around 5pm. After several miles of stop and go and a cage that late braked behind me I didn't care what the ticket cost. I split all the way to Vancouver and never saw a Trooper! :clap2:

Top Bottom