... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Pants vs overpants? What do you have?
I like overpants idea more.

Bike
2006 ST
I've used the Stich bibs and Firstgear HT overpants for a long time, I like the idea when it gets hot I can strip them off in a parking lot and just keep Levi's on.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Pants hands down. Motoport stretch kevlar street jeans. Just as comfy as jeans even with all the armor, all temps, all day.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I prefer the option of overpants.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I like the over pants idea... with armour and removable insulation. My TM Flex overpants can be open mesh to solid shell, to insulated and also extra insulated for the coldest weather. My primary thing is the armour though. Leather is great for sliding, but you'll be hurt badly on impact to what's it matter after that. Leather with armour is best combination. Same with my jacket.

Bike
2009 Wee Strom
Just got a one piece suit a few months back. Loving it for commuting (over pants and jacket in winter, and over much less in summer!). Fold it and put into topcase when going to a destination where you don't have a locker to stow it!

Alexi

Bike
GL1800 2015
+ 1 on 1 piece http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/56414/i/olympia-avenger-one-piece-mesh-tech-suit?WT.ac=RichAutoComplete
Havn't shopped for a couple yrs, pd $200 for mine..wow did they go up! have seen them on sale for 1 or 150 awhile ago...wish I woulda bought another one ..lol... but its built well, no seams or anything coming apart yet!,,,
Use this in winter..and under 60...VERY warm,,, http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/36/i/firstgear-thermo-one-piece-suit?WT.ac=SLIsearch exact price and suit from 3 years ago! also well built

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
Over pants from academy. Warm and comfy and inexpensive. I haven't tried the "motorcycle" jeans. Sounds interesting.

Bike
2004 ST1300
+2 for one piece suits (aka "bags" or "crash bags", a reference military aviators will recognize). A mesh one for summer and a gore-tex one with a removable liner for winter (some in the Harley crowd cringe when they see me in the suits on the Ultra - nobody seems to think them out of place on the ST). Easy to slide on over work clothes and to store in the top box for longer stops. I carry a rain suit that will fit over the mesh bag for wet summer days. For most of the winter I wear a fleece jacket under the suit and only use the liner when it gets below 35 degrees) . The riding suits can be hard to fit depending on torso length, so best to find the right model at a local store. One nice safety feature is that you don't have to worry about the torso riding up in a slide. I like the fit and quality of the Olympia suits, but there seem to be a number of high quality offerings from most of the major brands.

Bike
2006 ST1300
It depends on the type of riding. When commuting, I liked "overwear"- either 2-piece or 1-piece. My 1-piece 'Stich is very quick & easy to put on and off over clothing. Just wear your daily clothes under it.

For longer days or trips I use the same suit, but without everyday clothes under it. For warm weather my 'Stich gets LD Comfort shorts and a dry compression shirt under it. In colder weather I have the same with heated gear under it.

A benefit of "overclothes" is that you can remove them and look normal during a stop. When touring with my 'stich I can just unzip the upper half and lower it, but without regular clothes under it, removing it isn't easy. I'm left with either going into a restroom and changing, or keeping it on.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
To us non-Americans this thread gives the impression that you all dress like Superman :twisted::p:

If you come over to the UK whatever you do don't go into a Gentleman's Outfitters and say to the salesgirl "I'd like to see your pants." As you will be viewing the inside of one of our wonderful police cells. :law1: :22yikes:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
To us non-Americans this thread gives the impression that you all dress like Superman :twisted::p:
LOL! :lol:

When on tour, the full, armoured 2-piece GoreTex suit... always...

For urban commutes I sometimes might mutilate to a sinner, armoured GoreTex jacket, gloves, back-protector, etc... but on the lower half GoreTex trekking-boots and jeans... and a pair of rain-overpants in the pannier... makes it easier to pop into an office to meet an appointment...

Bike
'12 GL1800
STOC #
For 14 years, I have been in the overpants group.....for many the reasons mentioned previously. But, I found them to be binding, at times, & inconvenient during rest stops. In an effort to be more comfortable in the saddle, I did a lot of research last year & settled on the Klim Latitude Misano jacket & pants (not overpants). I have only taken one road trip since the purchase, but it was a very comfortable one! Very happy with the switch!

John

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
For me it's gotta be pants. Have Olympia Moto X that zip to my Moto X jacket. When I was hit from behind October 2013, my Moto X pants did what they were supposed to. Protect. But they were completely trashed so as they did as designed, got the same ones again. But I can tell you, I DONT want to test these!

Bike
2005 ST1300
I've been using the http://http://www.revzilla.com/product/tour-master-venture-air-pants for a couple of years now. One thing to note there is no way this was ever waterproof so don't even go that direction. But the pants are awesome other wise.IMG_20150307_080034.jpg In the picture the three different layers are shown. The quilted layer fits in the "water proof" layer and they both fit in the outer Air Mesh layer that has the armor and protection in it. The pants have worked wonderful down to -20*F with quilted jeans under them and 104*f with shorts under them. The main complaint I have is the side zippers are starting to give out and if I'm not careful will open up when I'm zipping them closed. I guess that is to be expected after the rough treatment they get.:dr13:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
One thing to note there is no way this was ever waterproof so don't even go that direction. But the pants are awesome other wise.
I agree. My TM Flex jacket states it is water resistant but I don't trust it. And my TM Flex overpants have what is called a rain liner (more like a wind liner). I've had opportunity to test both in a sudden downpour. Both got soaked through. The rain liner did keep water from passing through BUT the result is they were plugged with the water that soaked into the outer shell and didn't breath any more so the rain liner retained the sweat and I got wet anyway. That's why I always prefer rain gear that fits over all the gear. Dry gear is warm/comfortable gear. Keep the rain on the outside and it's not so bad to ride through. Been in some really bad gully washers in my rain gear (Frogg Toggs) and been completely dry and comfortable. Last June on my way back from LOCSTOC I ran into heavy rains in a severe storm. But I stayed dry and comfortable through it all.

Top Bottom