Boots Motorcycle boots or just "regular" boots?

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Maybe sounds silly but the price is the reason I'm asking. Just because they are motorcycle boots, they are immediately more expensive (like anything else "specialized"). Yes, they are usually more protective but I believe the "regular" heavy leather, waterproof, over the ankle boots (something like this https://www.google.com/search?q=heavy+leather,+waterproof+boots&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#tbm=shop&q=workers+heavy+leather,+waterproof+boots&spd=6603387190617213926 for an example) can do the job.
Please, prove me wrong. :)

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I used to have a set of Rocky's, good boot. Been wearing a pair of steel toed Carharts for the last 5 years or so. Pretty weather tight and comfy.

T

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Water proof and ankle protection are things you need in a boot. You may have to adjust your shift lever to let the toe of a work boot under it for shifting, but as long as they are waterproof and protect the ankle from being crushed in a fall, go for it.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Some of those boots cost more than my Tour Master Solution WP boots! I used to wear my military hightops with steel toes but found out the steel toe insert was more dangerous for mc riding than safe... in an accident the steel toe insert can be levered up and cut off the toes!!!:eek:

The mentioned ankle protection is another thing to consider. The heavy leather hightop work boots will do well for protection against sliding on pavement or small impacts, like from rocks and such, but won't protect from more substantial impact as in a crash. My TM boots have some ankle armour for that.

Being waterproof is good, but is a personal preference. Some riders feel that being waterproof will make the boot hotter in hot weather. And it does, a little. I prefer to combine my gear for as many conditions as possible so I don't have to buy many jackets, boots, gloves, at least not any more than I really have to. I find my TM boots work well in heavy rain, cold, warm/hot, etc. Sure, the feet sweat a bit in hot temps but that's going to happen a bit anyway. Many mc boots have a plastic toe cup that are much less likely to cut your toes off but will protect them. My former boots, also from TM, did just that when I low sided. There was a gash in the top center of the right toe area of the boot, but my feet didn't feel a thing and no injury even though the toe cup was broken in half. Oh, and road rash on the side of my boot but I didn't feel that either.

Take a look at some of these boots where I get most of my gear at Motorcyclegear.com

Boots, like everything else with a motorcycle, are a matter of personal preference and everyone will tell you their own opinion about what is best. This is mine.

Oh- and mc boots usually have a reinforcement patch over the left toe to aid in wear from the shifter. :)

Last edited:

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
There is nothing special about a motorcycle brand boot..
In my house between myself and my son's. we have an array of "official motorcycle shoes".
I'm done with that.. lots of money sitting on the floor.
I don't see anything in the design of safety that a standard leather work boot won't give you.
Last year I spend most of my riding with a pair of wolverine, white sole, 6" high work boot. about as comfy as they come.
At least for me.
Like most shoes, They'll become "un-waterproof" before the shoe wears out. (can get lucky on some).

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Tourmaster Solution 2.0 is a good inexpensive MC boot. They are about $110.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I guarantee the best riding boot made, don't let the price scare you (it did me a long time) but after trying numerous boots and freezing my wet feet on long rides, I finaly came to my senses and bought these. The very best, most comfortable I have ever worn, thousand miles in heavy rain stay dry, 20 and below in temps and stayed warm.
http://www.revzilla.com/product/sidi-on-road-gore-tex-boots

Bike
2009 Wee Strom
I never buy "motorcycle" boots. I'm just riding for fun. I don't need crazy priced stuff. Whatever boots you want.

Right now I'm using old school army boots (black patent leather) bought from a surplus store. Figured if it was good enough for long ruck marches and artillerymen, probably good enough to be on a bike.

If you want something newer and tough/protective, look for boots for the public service folks (fireman/policeman probably at the top of the list)

Alexi

Bike
2006 ST1300
As has been mentioned the biggest difference is in the ankle protection. I'd rather someone wear work boots than no boots, but MC specific boots add even more safety.

One thing, don't be fooled my many so-called motorcycle boots- many, like may "cruiser style" MC jackets, are NOT designed for safety but rather just looks. Adding a HD logo to a regular leather jacket doesn't make it motorcycle gear. The same applies to boots.

There are lots of decent, and safe, MC boots in the $100 or so range. Another option is to watch ebay, CL and internet forums like ST-O and ADVRider. I bought my last pair of boots (Sidi On Roads) for around $100 used, worn like once or twice. They arrived looking new at less than 1/2 new price. They lasted me 9 years and 100k+ miles, but I finally ordered a new pair of Aerostich Combat Lite boots. My Sidis will remain to use in the winter (road salt isn't good for leather) and other times my boots will be abused.

Bike
92 ST1100
I guarantee the best riding boot made, don't let the price scare you (it did me a long time) but after trying numerous boots and freezing my wet feet on long rides, I finaly came to my senses and bought these. The very best, most comfortable I have ever worn, thousand miles in heavy rain stay dry, 20 and below in temps and stayed warm.
http://www.revzilla.com/product/sidi-on-road-gore-tex-boots
Don't own a pair, but still own a pair of Sidi-Force moto-x boots. If those you showed are like-wise quality, comfort and fit......your correct.....don't get any better than what Sidi produces, IMO.

Bike
2006 ST1300
As has been mentioned the biggest difference is in the ankle protection. I'd rather someone wear work boots than no boots, but MC specific boots add even more safety.

One thing, don't be fooled my many so-called motorcycle boots- many, like many "cruiser style" MC jackets, are NOT designed for safety but rather just looks. Adding a HD logo to a regular leather jacket doesn't make it motorcycle gear. The same applies to boots.

There are lots of decent, and safe, MC boots in the $100 or so range. Another option is to watch ebay, CL and internet forums like ST-O and ADVRider. I bought my last pair of boots (Sidi On Roads) for around $100 used, worn like once or twice. They arrived looking new at less than 1/2 new price. They lasted me 9 years and 100k+ miles, but I finally ordered a new pair of Aerostich Combat Lite boots. My Sidis will remain to use in the winter (road salt isn't good for leather) and other times my boots will be abused.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Afan

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks guys. I appreciate it. As I thought, good police/army/firefigher boots will do the job.
But, TourMaster WP 2.0 are good and not expensive at all. That's definitely an option too. :)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
A set of Tourmasters generally last me about 3 years and maybe 50,000 miles before a seam starts leaking. I ride in a lot of rain. I buy them one size larger

Bike
2006 ST1300
What brought a question: ow many of you guys use heated socks, insols or something like that? Or plain, warm socks and good boots are just fine?
I use heated socks. I used to just double up on the socks in cooler temps but it didn't help much. Heated socks are awesome. My feet are the second thing to get cold (my fingers are first). No problems after getting the heated socks. The socks from Warm & Safe are actually sock covers so you do have 2 layers, but they are very thin. My Sidi boots always felt slightly snug with a regular pair of socks, and become uncomfortable with the heated socks as well. Livable, but not ideal. I just ordered new boots one size larger.

The larger boots would help with double layer socks; socks & heated covers; or even the thicker smart wool socks. I don't think the size I'm gaining will reduce comfort in warm weather with single layer socks. I'll know soon.

Top Bottom