Boots Motorcycle boots or just "regular" boots?

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
No motorcycle boot is made in my size.
I wear 8" leather boots due to the size constraints, I have been pleased with the comfort.

Enjoy!
Mark

Bike
ST1300, VT750C
I got a pair of waterproof 511 boots. Very comfortable for riding and walking, gaitored zip up sides and they have oil resistant soles. They don't have all of the hard plastic bits purpose built MC boots have, but quality wise, they're way above the MC boot our local shops carry and at a much more reasonable price, $120. The only downside I've found is they're pretty thick soled, so I had to adjust the shifter up a bit for clearance.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The mentioned ankle protection is another thing to consider. The heavy leather hightop work boots will do well for protection against sliding on pavement or small impacts, like from rocks and such, but won't protect from more substantial impact as in a crash. My TM boots have some ankle armour for that.

Boots, like everything else with a motorcycle, are a matter of personal preference and everyone will tell you their own opinion about what is best. This is mine.

Oh- and mc boots usually have a reinforcement patch over the left toe to aid in wear from the shifter. :)
And+1 for what OhioDeere said.

I was given a pair of BMW boots - zipper on the side, velcro closure on the flap, waterproof, reflective material, and some kind of domed disk over the ankle bone on the outside of each leg. Very flexible, very comfortable, but if I fall off the bike, I see no special armor to protect my feet. And if the bike should fall on my foot, one squashed foot. A pair of Aerostitch Combat Light boots would do more than these because of the thick leather, but even so, how much protection would they offer against a 700 lb bike?

Short of motocross armored boots, touring boots are mostly for looks, waterproofring, and some minimal level of protection. Wear what you feel most comfortable in, but the more heavy leather, the better. Please try to stay away from flip flops like so many women wear on the back of their boyfriend's bikes. They (flip flops) only look good with short halter tops and short shorts.

Last edited:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I usually end up wearing sweat socks or same thickness casual socks (to work). But on really cold rides I wear very thin socks first covered by the thicker socks. Both fit in my boots. I did buy my boots at Struthers Bros and was able to try/fit them with the socks I use before buying. Tried on many different boots there. Look up online and print the page for the boots you want of the same brand/model showing the price deal and Struthers will price match with online stores. :)

BTW- to me cold rides are when the temps are below zero*F. And my feet stay comfy all the time. I only used heated gear on my hands... and then only when water freezes.

I have a pair of Haix boots I bought for work but since they were never worn there (other model supplied) I ended up using these on the bike. Abit warm in the summer and somewhat more clunky than I like for around town they are great in the wet or extended trips. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for an mc boot but since I already had them I decided to use them. http://www.haixusa.com/fire/usar/21/fire-flash-xtreme?c=5

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I'd rather someone wear work boots than no boots, but MC specific boots add even more safety.
Definitely, calf-high, shinbone, heel and ankle armouring/protection, even quite some toe protection, rigid non-slip soles, waterproof, comfy in all weathers, summer and winter (GoreTex), whilst providing adequate movement and sensing for operating shift and brake levers...
For me its the Daytona Road Star GTX http://www.daytona.de/index.php?page=793
Perfect fit, top quality, totally durable and if there really is an issue (like grinded-through soles ;-)) I can send them to the MFG who offer OEM quality repair and testing for a really decent price (new soles for ? 35,-... peanuts!)

Yes, for short urban hops I use ankle high trekking-boots, providing some protection and good standing while stopping/parking manoeuvring, as well as good sensing on the levers but I wouldn't like to get ballistic with those during higher speeds, as I'm sure the forces will just pull them off my feet...
I'd never ride with loafers or sneakers as I observe many riders others out there...

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
If I'm going to be only riding and light walking then I wear my Alpine Star Web Gortex boots. If riding and hiking then Danner GTX Striker, they are much more comfortable and sure footed for hiking, rambling around the woods, etc.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I have a pair of Haix boots I bought for work but since they were never worn there (other model supplied) I ended up using these on the bike. Abit warm in the summer and somewhat more clunky than I like for around town they are great in the wet or extended trips. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for an mc boot but since I already had them I decided to use them. http://www.haixusa.com/fire/usar/21/fire-flash-xtreme?c=5
just looked at the line up----WOW!

RCS

I always dress for the crash based on how I ride.

99 percent of my riding is highway at 70mph. Two issues that concern me when sliding down the highway at 70mph. First, I selected motorcycle boots that have a special heel that will not get caught and throw me in the air when sliding feet first. Second, many regular boots will come off on a crash impact and then you will have no protection on your feet when sliding. There are many videos on youtube that demonstrate how quickly improper boots leave your feet on impact. Some of those boots are motorcycle shorties.

I selected Alpinestar Supertech R boots. They have a specially formed heel and an inner boot to ensure the boot does not come off the feet on crash impact. These are road racing boots. Take a look at some videos on youtube and watch how motorcycle road racers impact the pavement first and then slide.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBFJ6YLPQ9I

There are less expensive models that have similar features.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I work in boots every day and I've found a pair that is very comfortable (Wolverine) for all-day wear so that is what I wear on the bike. I've tried steel toed shoes and they're fine for work even though I don't really need them, but on the bike, it's harder to slip my foot under the shifter.

I don't do ATGATT, but I do most of the gear ATT... jacket, gloves, helmet and boots.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Sidi On Roads for me they are very comfortable waterproof offer ankle and shin protection and they can be re-soled I have resoled mine once after 3 years so it looks like I will get at least 6 years wear from them probably much more. But at this rate they cost me $58 a year well worth it for the protection they offer. But to each his own all I am saying is don't let the price fool you when your work boots are done they are done I will just resole mine and keep wearing them.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Aerostitch Combat Lites is what I wear. Pricey but can be resoled and will last a very long time.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I'm trying to figure out what everyone does to wear out the soles of their riding boots. My Sidi On Roads have around 100k miles of use and although the soles are worn, it is because I ride in snow sometimes and have done many miles with my feet dragging the road (outriggers). They would still be fine for a few more seasons, but its the velcro closures that are giving out- the velcro won't hold any more. I'll be keeping them for my snow riding boots.

Regardless, I consider boots to be a cheap investment long-term. I had a crash many years ago and wore a hole through my leather sneakers. Most work boots are a fairly thin leather, not much more than sneakers. Plus they don't have the ankle and shin protection of a good riding boot.

I do admit I wear work boots when commuting (very little of that any more, I have a work van I take home). Even then I used to wear riding boots to work then change into work boots or sneakers for the day, and store my riding boots in one of the side cases. Yes, a pair of size 14 Sidi On Roads will fit in there.

Bike
Vstrom 650
I wear Sidi boots,they have ankle protection on both sides,and shin protection for the lower shin,they are waterproof within reason,I couldn't imagine ordinary boots would offer this kind of protection.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I have a pair of Wolverine hiking boots I like. I also have a pair of Rocky boots 10" I think.

Motorcycle specific boots have been on my list for a while now. Besides ankle and shin protection I like the idea of a flap that covers the laces. I have to double and triple knot them because supplied laces are always way way too long and I'm too lazy to go get shorter ones. It's annoying when the loops get caught on the shifter.

Do any of these boots use zippers? Does anybody use boots with zippers? They seem like they'd be the weak point for long life and waterproofing. But for summer they'd be really convenient.

Bike
2006 ST1300
The combination of big hoofs and steep leaning angles does it...
Size 14 and I love leaning in the twisties. Other than a very slight wear on the edges of the front of my boots I haven't worn them out. I keep my feet back and tucked in when cornering.

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
AGATT

Daytonas for cold weather and wet, TCX Airtech boots to hot weather touring.

As has been said on here before - good heavy duty ankle boots are better than shoes, and motorcycle boots are better than ankle boots. A decent pair of bike boots will have far more specific motorcycle safety factors built into the boot to protect you in a crash, which a hiking boot will not because it's simply not designed to do that job.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Do any of these boots use zippers? Does anybody use boots with zippers? They seem like they'd be the weak point for long life and waterproofing. But for summer they'd be really convenient.
Zippers would be a weak point in rain... if they weren't covered. Many mc specific boots have zippers and a velcro flap to cover. Mine do and I've been through some really bad gully washers and torrential down pours with them and no leaks yet. Mine are just about 5 years old now and still going. I even wear them when out clearing the driveway of snow with my big anti-snow machine just for the waterproof part.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Other than a very slight wear on the edges of the front of my boots I haven't worn them out.
Same spot on my boots, managed to wear them through though... but as said is re-soling not an issue on brand products...

Top Bottom