Boots Motorcycle boots or just "regular" boots?

Bike
2008 ST1300A Red
As some have mentioned.......Aerostich Combat Lites and I love them. Had them for years and absolutely love them.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
They seem like they'd be the weak point for long life and waterproofing.
On boots of any respectable level of quality the zipper is outside the waterproof envelope. Leaving the zipper completely unzipped or a complete zipper failure will not affect the waterproofing of the boot per se. Water could get in through the top of the boot I suppose because the boot will be loose around the leg but not because it is getting past the zipper.

I wear a pair of Regent Kelso boots. http://www.regent-footwear.co.uk/shop/product/kelso1
I didn't buy them especially for the bike, however as I've been wearing the same type and brand of these boots for my work for more than 25 years, I figured why not use them on the bike.
I live and ride a BMW GS Adventure in the Far East and although I don't normally ride during the rainy season, I also carry a set of short Vaude gaiters that I purchased from Amazon. Tropical rainstorms are now no problem.
Im planning on using the same boots & gaiters when riding in Europe when I come over at the beginning of April.
However in Europe I'll be riding my new to me and as yet unseen, but paid 06 ST1300
I used to ride Trials bikes and wouldn't ever consider to ride one without wearing the purpose built boots.

@AI5AASIA

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
On boots of any respectable level of quality the zipper is outside the waterproof envelope. Leaving the zipper completely unzipped or a complete zipper failure will not affect the waterproofing of the boot per se.
Andrew thanks for the info! Though it's not a deal breaker I'd like a pair of boots that used a zipper instead or in addition to laces.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
Wet feet are really uncomfortable so I wear AlpineStars Gore-Tex boots.

Really comfortable, easy to put on and take off and nearly infinitely adjustable for the calf size...

I notice that they are much more expensive from the AlpineStars on-line shop. If you shop around you should get over $50 off. Mine cost the equivalent of $225.00 inc taxes.

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Well, their very British what you're doing in the rain? Their only MID boots, risk of pant legs sliding up and over...
On the calf-height riding boots the pants stay over the bootleg, no water breaches in downpours or while crossing minor road flooding (or hitting the bow-wave of the semi/lorry besides you)...

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Andrew thanks for the info! Though it's not a deal breaker I'd like a pair of boots that used a zipper instead or in addition to laces.
FWIW if it is of any assistance to anyone here is what I have learned from my experience. Work boots are more slippery than motorcycle boots (at least touring boots) which is not good when trying to maneuver the bike by pushing with your feet while sitting on it. They are not waterproof and having to stop to put on over-boots of any kind is of no interest to me. I have found them to be far less capable of handling temperatures anywhere near the range of what good touring boots can- both cold and hot. They do not provide the level of protection that a riding boot does. I do not like laces simply because of the extra fussing and because you cannot adjust them on the fly- you have to stop and undo and re-tie them. My boots have a zipper with a Velcro flap that closes over the zipper as many models do. I would recommend to everyone that they take the time to try several models and sizes and make sure that you get a proper fitting boot. You will appreciate the proper fit in extreme weather be it hot or cold. If it is to tight you will have trouble with the zipper and your boot will not be able to ventilate your foot properly. If it fits to loosely it will not close around you leg sufficiently tight. In this case you will notice the coldness against your leg when it is cold out. Mine are Gortex and I only wear Gortex approved socks (which actually exist) with them. This is at the recommendation of Alpinestar. The two together create a system which allows your foot to breathe and moisture to wick up the sock and out the top of the boot. It really does work- as I said, if the boot is to loose around your leg you will feel the coolness. If it fits properly you will not even though the boot continues to ventilate your foot but not to the degree that you feel cold. This ventilation is critical. Everyone's foot sweats. If your boot cannot ventilate and remove that moisture your feet will be damp and they will be cold. If your boot fits properly the zipper only snugs it up around your leg and then you adjust the tightness with the Velcro flap. In my case I leave the flap looser when it is very hot out and I can actually feel my foot cooling off every time I leave from a stop and get up to speed where the boot starts to ventilate. When it is very cold I snug the Velcro flap more tightly around my leg to reduce the air flow and my feet stay warm even though the boot continues to ventilate and remove any moisture. Here is why I don't like laces- I can do this adjusting of the Velcro flap very easily while I am riding and fine tune the ventilation to my liking. This may sound strange but when you take off in the cold and a ways down the road your feet start to feel cool and all you have to do is reach down and tighten up the flap a little to solve the problem it is a nice feature to have. I paid about $200.00 for my boots about 15 years ago and they are still completely waterproof and still in very good shape which I believe makes it a very good value.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
FWIW if it is of any assistance to anyone here is what I have learned from my experience. Work boots are more slippery than motorcycle boots (at least touring boots) which is not good when trying to maneuver the bike by pushing with your feet while sitting on it. They are not waterproof and having to stop to put on over-boots of any kind is of no interest to me. I have found them to be far less capable of handling temperatures anywhere near the range of what good touring boots can- both cold and hot. They do not provide the level of protection that a riding boot does. I do not like laces simply because of the extra fussing and because you cannot adjust them on the fly- you have to stop and undo and re-tie them. My boots have a zipper with a Velcro flap that closes over the zipper as many models do. I would recommend to everyone that they take the time to try several models and sizes and make sure that you get a proper fitting boot. You will appreciate the proper fit in extreme weather be it hot or cold. If it is to tight you will have trouble with the zipper and your boot will not be able to ventilate your foot properly. If it fits to loosely it will not close around you leg sufficiently tight. In this case you will notice the coldness against your leg when it is cold out. Mine are Gortex and I only wear Gortex approved socks (which actually exist) with them. This is at the recommendation of Alpinestar. The two together create a system which allows your foot to breathe and moisture to wick up the sock and out the top of the boot. It really does work- as I said, if the boot is to loose around your leg you will feel the coolness. If it fits properly you will not even though the boot continues to ventilate your foot but not to the degree that you feel cold. This ventilation is critical. Everyone's foot sweats. If your boot cannot ventilate and remove that moisture your feet will be damp and they will be cold. If your boot fits properly the zipper only snugs it up around your leg and then you adjust the tightness with the Velcro flap. In my case I leave the flap looser when it is very hot out and I can actually feel my foot cooling off every time I leave from a stop and get up to speed where the boot starts to ventilate. When it is very cold I snug the Velcro flap more tightly around my leg to reduce the air flow and my feet stay warm even though the boot continues to ventilate and remove any moisture. Here is why I don't like laces- I can do this adjusting of the Velcro flap very easily while I am riding and fine tune the ventilation to my liking. This may sound strange but when you take off in the cold and a ways down the road your feet start to feel cool and all you have to do is reach down and tighten up the flap a little to solve the problem it is a nice feature to have. I paid about $200.00 for my boots about 15 years ago and they are still completely waterproof and still in very good shape which I believe makes it a very good value.
A complete accurate report on the "best" boot for riding, I too use only Gore Tex approved socks. With this system I can use my very warm and dry Sidi on road riding boots year round. I have found a company here in the USA that will not only resole them but recondition the entire boot to include replacing the velcro system.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I wore a pair of RedWing work boots for over 100,000 miles. Supposed to be water proof, but a long ride in the rain proved that not to be true. They were lace-ups boots, and occasionally the tie would come loose while riding. They were heavy also. And the soles were the thick lug soles. I managed to thin them out by sanding them down on the road at 70 MPH. Finally got some BMW All-Arounds as there was a dealer nearby where I could try them on. They work well. Has a zipper close under a velcro flap.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I have had a pair of Bates boots and I find them comfortable and when on a trip they look fine with street clothes. They are made with Gortex and have proven to be water proof in heavy all day rains.

Gerhard

Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
I've worn both and almost lost it at lights due to lack of grip and from my job seen some horrible, horrible foot injuries where the grinding action of payment vs. foot apparel, then foot, then bone etc. makes me err on side of caution. Wear Al##'s boots now but looking at a pair TCX also. My size limits what brands I have to select from. But to each his own on their choice.

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
I wear either the cheap Bilt boots, or a very old, beat up pair of Joe Rocket riding shoes. The shoes are built with ankle protection and are my favorites. The soles are a bit flexible and don't quite have the protection of stiffer ones (especially if you kick an armadillo). The Bilts are cheap ($70 or sometimes less) and both have toe sliders I modify as I drag my toes enough in the corners to bevel the soles . I used to use a pair of Wolverine Wellingtons and they got so tapered the stitching and welt were being ate into. I also have a set of waterproof Riding boots

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
My first thing to do on the last Saturday was to visit the local motorcycle store and check for the boots and I found TourMaster WP 2.0 for $119. I tried and it was great feeling. I put in my inserts and they were still great. I bought them. Some clutch adjustment would be good but not necessary - at least not last two day I was riding around.
So, opposite of why I started this post, I bought motorcycle boots. But, not so expensive as I was thinking. And with some protection I never was thinking before (ankle protection, velcro over zipper, shin protection, reflective panel on the back...).

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

I Like TCX X5 and ordered TCX X5 EVO.
In a heavy down pour, your pants may be the weak point. If in a heavy downpour with pants that are supposedly waterproof and have zip vents, they may introduce water to run inside of your legs and eventually work down to your feet.
Water will find it's weak point.
Gortex is key to stay somewhat comfortable in hot climates, straight leather will bake your FOOT.
I'm not sure if those boots with so called air or so called canvas summer boots will help keep your foot cooler, the engine heat has more effect than the ambient temperature.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
So, opposite of why I started this post, I bought motorcycle boots. But, not so expensive as I was thinking. And with some protection I never was thinking before (ankle protection, velcro over zipper, shin protection, reflective panel on the back...).
Congratulations on finding something that works for you......I have the older model and am well happy with them, and they're more flexible than the hunting boots I used to wear.....ride safe...ff

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I have had a pair of Bates boots and I find them comfortable and when on a trip they look fine with street clothes. They are made with Gortex and have proven to be water proof in heavy all day rains.

Gerhard

Thanks for the pic. I think that's a good-looking shoe... for what it is. There's a place not too far from me that sells Bates boots. I'm going to check it out.

Top Bottom