Are there exceptions to ATGATT?

Bike
2004 ST1300A
It took me a while to figure it out, but I finally realized that it meant "All The Gear, All The Time." However, is that a mantra (it sounds cool to say), exaggeration (read most of the gear most of the time) or the code (always have all the gear all the time)?

Reason I ask is that my bike is my commuter most days. But my "trip" to work consists of 1.2 miles, 2 turns, 3 school zones, and 5 stop signs (unless heading home...same route is 7 stop signs). It is all on residential roads and takes about 4 minutes at a max speed of about 30mph. Many days this is the extent of my riding. Am I being lazy or just realistic?

I wear a full face helmet 100% of the time, and a heavy motorcycle jacket. Did that ride warrant the addition of pants, boss, etc?

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
We're all adults here, and all of us have an internal "Risk Manager." Do whatever he tells you.

Don't base your personal safety on the opinions of knuckleheads like us. :D

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
ATGATT - except when it is so bloody hot that riding in a sweat suit becomes more unsafe than riding without it. Not on about town trips mind you, where most accidents happen to most people, as I can put up with that for a short time, or take the car with A/C, but on a highway trip, on a hot day, I'll don a long sleeved white denim shirt and jeans to keep cool and to keep the UV off my arms. That's my level of risk taking these days. Boots and gloves always.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
For me, yes, it means all the time.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Most of the time for me, we are from a small town so sometimes I run to the post office, go for lunch or some small errand it is just helmet and gloves. I know that most accidents happen close to home and my only motorcycle accident pretty much happened on my door step but if it takes longer to put on the gear than the journey I usually go as I am.

Gerhard

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
On this one I agree with Mellow. ATGATT means ALL THE TIME! When I was commuting my ride was an hour each way. I really don't use the bike for short trips as it is a pain to gear up, that being said it is also a PITA to get the bike out of the garage also. YOU still decide what risk is acceptable.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
We each decide for ourselves. :)

For me, the only time I'm not ATGATT is the very rare occasion, maybe once a year, when I happen to ride it 0.8 mi to the fuel station and back, or after putting it back together following a service when I ride it up and down the street. On those occasions, I still wear gloves, helmet, jeans, leather shoes. All other times, I'm fully geared and riding for multiple hours before my first stop.

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
This is not the answer U may want to read?
I would & have walked to work. Just over 3 miles. In real clear warm weather ride my bicycle to work. That route was 4 miles.
Yes the fire station had a full locker room. This helped.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
This is not the answer U may want to read?
I would & have walked to work.
Even a better idea! Get some exercise and less wear and tear on the bike, those short trips are not good for it.

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
I once rode my bike 2.2 miles to the gas station and back to fill up only wearing a helmet and street clothes. I felt very uncomfortable and even naked. Never again....

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Some days when I ride to work I wear my jacket and helmet but wear Sliders instead of overpants but thats as non ATGATT as I will go.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
After being totaled out in Oct 2013, I would NEVER ride without ATGATT!! And I was ATGATT then too. Saved a lot of skin. So I'm guessin that my answer is a YES!!

Bike
2008 ST1300A Red
I could lie to you and say the I am ATGATT. When I crashed recently, I was super happy to have my Darien Jacket and a good helmet, because I would have been chewed something fierce. But honestly, I still am MTGMTT. The jacket and helmet are guaranteed, but I still will ride in blue jeans. If I do a long ride, its ATGATT, but for the local loop its MTGMTT.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm ATGATT for one simple reason - inattentive drivers are everywhere - even .1 of mile from your house. My best friend lost his lower right leg within a few miles of his house (SUV ran a 4 way stop) but his ATGATT saved everything else - just a slight scratch on his wrist. As hard as he was hit, he would have probably been a dead man if he hadn't had the gear on. But as was said, you have to decide what you feel comfortable with - it's your hide and your body. ;-)

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
The truth is I'd be in the same gear as you for that daily ride. Get a mesh jacket if you don't have one. Full face Helmet jacket and gloves would be my gear for your daily ride.

I do usually have my mesh pants with me in the side case perchance I need to go further and cover the legs better. You have some mesh? Wanna borrow and try one of mine for a week or so? XL jackets.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Risk management is what it's about. How much risk are you willing to manage without the gear? Lots of things can happen close to home.
I'm ATGATT with only the exception of after certain maintenance I will ride up the block and back without the armored pants, but otherwise ATGATT. Even to go get gas 1.4 miles away. I live half a block off a busy primary street going to a major shopping mecca. 6 lanes, divided, of BDCs! I'm not going out there without some protection. I low sided the bike on the road once (not close to home) at near 30 mph and ATGATT allowed me to ride away with no injury. Shredded or damaged each piece of gear but that's what it's there for.
In the end it is up to you. It's your skin and if you are comfortable without full ATGATT for a short ride, that's up to you.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I agree that you should make your own call...

I don't do ATGATT.
Here is what I do
Shoes: if I'm on the bike my ankles are covered; boot or high top leather shoe.
Gloves: good ones because I use my hands and I like to keep them.
Jacket: Kevlar mesh, every time I'm on the bike.
Helmet: Everytime I'm on the bike.
You'll note that most of the time, around town, I do not ride with MC pants... I don't have a way to change and I will not wear a poly mesh anything because I have seen melted plastic and don't want it on my legs.

Mark

Top Bottom