Are there exceptions to ATGATT?

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
It took me a while to figure it out, but I finally realized that it meant "All The Gear, All The Time." However, is that a mantra (it sounds cool to say), exaggeration (read most of the gear most of the time) or the code (always have all the gear all the time)?

Reason I ask is that my bike is my commuter most days. But my "trip" to work consists of 1.2 miles, 2 turns, 3 school zones, and 5 stop signs (unless heading home...same route is 7 stop signs). It is all on residential roads and takes about 4 minutes at a max speed of about 30mph. Many days this is the extent of my riding. Am I being lazy or just realistic?

I wear a full face helmet 100% of the time, and a heavy motorcycle jacket. Did that ride warrant the addition of pants, boss, etc?
We're all adults here, and all of us have an internal "Risk Manager." Do whatever he tells you.

Don't base your personal safety on the opinions of knuckleheads like us. :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander.***
With that quoted, I'll add my two cents.

After being violently removed from my motorcycle by a backhoe during what would have been a short, but pleasant 10-minute commute to work one morning, I will attest that it doesn't matter how short your commute or ride is... in either time or distance. Anything can happen at any time... even a backhoe coming out from seemingly nowhere.

I suffered a compound fracture above my right knee and a broken right collar bone. The surgeon who put my leg back together stated quite clearly that if I had not been wearing a full riding suit, there would likely have been too much dirt in the leg wound to save the leg. I like to think that I walk normally today because I was wearing ATGATT.

To thumperjdm's point, let your conscience be your guide.

Last edited:
No Not ATGATT.
I think it honestly comes down to the type of rider you are. Not how good you think you are but how good you actually are
The reason i say this is because i watch videos all the time where car drivers do something silly and the motorbike goes down.
What alot of bikers fail to understand is the only person that cares about you is you. you can have the right of way and be taken out by a car pulling out
so what if it was your right of way you still get smashed regardless. I ride defensively which means i do not filter at speed because someone stepping out in front of a van will be killed instantly if i hit them side on. If i see cars waiting to turn or pull out i slow hover a brake and consider exit plans because once i pass the car a small twist and im back to where i was i dont lose anything by being cautious. i ride quick on empty roads i know have no turnings.
I have 4 jackets four gloves two helmets and i wear jeans and rigger boots.
If the weather is baking hot when i leave work i will put my jacket in my topbox and ride in a tshirt in traffic i wont filter or rush i will just relax.
If i get further out and the traffic is less and im going to get onto 50/70 roads i will pull over and put the jacket back on
If i wore all the gear in hot weather i would become the worlds worst rider super agitated and aggresive
A very high percentage of bike accidents could be either avoided or slowed enough to be hardly any damage.
That said if im riding on the motorway i usually sit in the fast lane constantly moving up because i have seen way too many times where people cut across lanes to take a exit at the last minute and that is when serious things happen

Last edited:

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
IMHO,

ATGATT

unless...

Your crystal ball, Magic 8 Ball AND Oujii board are all in triple-redundant agreement that today is not your day to go down.

Good Ridin'
slmjim

Last edited:
Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
I only ride with ATGATT.....
That's why I don't ride my bike to work anymore. It takes me twice as long to gear up and gear down than to ride the 7.5 mile commute each way.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I started wearing full gear after spending a summer healing from road rash after a 45mph crash. I have been known to skip the armored pants when commuting a short distance even though I know full well my jeans will be toast after about 5 feet of sliding on pavement (learned from the experience I just mentioned). But after witnessing two riders who have been saved by their full armor, I won't leave the driveway without ATGATT.

I laugh when I see people mention the heat. I've worn my 'stich in triple digit temps several times, and I would rather have it on. Ever turned a hair dryer on yourself? Trust me, you want a layer protecting you from hot air. Good gear has built in ventilation that actually makes it more comfortable to have it on, than not. The only exception is when sitting parked in traffic in the sun. But if that happens, you would be burning to a crisp if you were wearing a T-shirt and shorts, so really you are still better off.

Gear is a choice. Based on the evidence I have seen first hand, its a choice I make.

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
I laugh when I see people mention the heat. I've worn my 'stich in triple digit temps several times, and I would rather have it on. Ever turned a hair dryer on yourself? Trust me, you want a layer protecting you from hot air. Good gear has built in ventilation that actually makes it more comfortable to have it on, than not. The only exception is when sitting parked in traffic in the sun. But if that happens, you would be burning to a crisp if you were wearing a T-shirt and shorts, so really you are still better off.
+1 (and I live in Texas......HOT!!)

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Good gear has built in ventilation that actually makes it more comfortable to have it on, than not.
Emphasis on good there... like GoreTex, proper venting zippers, etc...
Plus that you should always wear quality long sleeved/long legged functional-underwear, dealing with the perspiration, keeping your skin dry...

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
It means all the time. It never gets to hot to ride. Never to hot to wear the gear. And it is hotter without the gear. The gear protects you from more than road rash. The more you wear the gear the more you get accustom to wearing the gear in heat.
Mellow is also right about the short trips, to short a trip for the bike. Walk, jog or peddle.

Bike
2006 ST1300 A
My experience. YMMV. in the mid 80's when I last had a bike, I wore leather jacket, jeans, leather gloves and boots and full face helmet 99% of the time. It was one of the 1% times not wearing my leather jacket when I crashed. Low sided on an off ramp at about 55. Tore up my gloves, not my hands. Scuffed my boots, not my legs. Tore holes in my jeans and then in my knees. Scuffed my helmet, not my head. Tore up my right forearm pretty badly. Rode the 3/4 mile home and went into shock halfway up the stairs to my apartment. Had to crawl the last 8 steps because I couldn't stand. Screamed as I cleaned out the dirt and grime from my forearm and knees, but got enough out that the nurse didn't have to reclean it the next morning when I went to the hospital. Bought an ST last year and got back on a bike for the first time in almost 30 years. Feels great, but the promise I made my wife and kids is that I am ATGATT or I don't ride. Not willing to go through that myself again or to put them through what they would have to endure should I end up torn up if I crash again. My choice. You have to make yours. I live in the country, so my rides are usually no less than 1/2 hour. I don't go to the local market on my bike. My ride to work is 35 minutes. I do have mesh pants and jacket, lightweight gloves for hot weather and, granted, it is not the most comfortable, but risk is something I currently look to minimize. I am willing to suffer a little discomfort to make sure my kid's dad comes home after his ride and to minimize my wife's anxiety.

Don't dress for the ride, dress for the crash.

Fast Ed

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
[h=2]Are there exceptions to ATGATT?[/h]If there were, it would be all.

Not complicated.

Bike
2015 FJR1300
I"m a sinner in this regard, I always wear a helmet, ear plugs and boots. Jacket and riding pants depend on weather.
I used to be a bicyclist so I've had my fair share of road rash. You get used to it.

A few years ago, I had an off on the motorcycle wearing jeans and a long sleeve T shirt.

I ruined my helmet, my boots and the skin on forearms. When I was picking the gravel out of my arms that night, it hurt
so bad I could only wash one arm at a time. Did I learn my lesson? Nope

I would rather be uncomfortable for a few weeks after a wreck than 100+ days per year.

I believe that the only piece of gear that will save our lives is our helmets.

Personal choice...

Last edited:

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT

Personal choice...

True enough.

But the rest of the gear may save the QUALITY of our lives.

FWIW, I live in Texas (Hot!) and I have found that I am more comfortable on a 100 degree day in my Aerostich R3 suit than in a mesh jacket and jeans. I rode with a mesh jacket and then the R3, back to back, on a hot and humid, 100 degree day -- and I was surprised to find out that I was more comfortable in the R3. I was expecting that to not be the case. So, if you get the right gear that works for you, you might find that you can have your cake and eat it too. ;)

Joseph/TX

R.I.P. - 2016/11/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
1994 ST-1100A
I"m a sinner in this regard, I always wear a helmet, ear plugs and boots. Jacket and riding pants depend on weather.
I used to be a bicyclist so I've had my fair share of road rash. You get used to it.

A few years ago, I had an off on the motorcycle wearing jeans and a long sleeve T shirt.

I ruined my helmet, my boots and the skin on forearms. When I was picking the gravel out of my arms that night, it hurt
so bad I could only wash one arm at a time. Did I learn my lesson? Nope

I would rather be uncomfortable for a few weeks after a wreck than 100+ days per year.

Personal choice...
FWIW, and at the risk of being condemned/ostracized as a heretic, I totally agree with you. If I was that convinced that I was going to crash every time I get on the bike, I probably wouldn't get on the bike.

In 50+ years of riding, I've had my share of get-offs and road rash, which I remember as being quite unpleasant, but which did eventually heal. However, I don't know of any gear that protects against broken arms, backs or necks, which is the danger I'm most concerned about. To me, bike riding is a lot like sky diving, a risk vs rush thing, and I don't think I've ever heard of a sky diver saying he was saved by ATGATT. As I recall, Wayne Rainey was pretty much ATGATT when he bought it. Ending up like him is my big fear, but the only way to be positive that won't happen is to quit riding. Personal choice, indeed.

This should answer the O.P.'s question: "Are there exceptions to ATGATT?" The answer is "Yes, but only two, Dkjkwood, and Joseph/TX".

Let the righteous rebukes, head shaking, etc. commence... :D

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
Even on the 5 minute ride to take my wife into work, the answer is a resounding "YES!!" to ATTGAT. In 43 years, have wrecked 3 times, and all 3 times, walked away with very minor injuries, due to ATTGAT. Yes, even mesh is not comfy some days, but I'll continue to wear it.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I'll nbe non ATGATT when I ride the bike formt he driveway into the garage, and even when I pull it out.

To those that say it's just a little road rash... okay... enjoy.

Any other time, the only piece of skin I leave exposed is the part I don't care about.
2 wrecks, one at high speed one at medium speed, both times I walked away with bruises and a repair bill.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Being one that has crashed at 65mph and walked away...well, hobbled away, let me tell you RoadRash HURTS!

That said, just ask Byron how many times he has seen me take the bike up and down the street, after we worked on it!

On second thought, don't ask him, he'll give my secret away.

Let's face it, I grew up without gear, but I usually did ride with a helmet...most of the time, before it became law in CA.

When I crashed that first time, I had a good helmet, good boots and I thought, good gloves. Well, the left glove shot off when I hit the ground. So they weren't too good, but that was the only time in that crash my hand hit the ground...lucky me!

I refuse to be that paranoid, to think everytime I don't have my gear on I'll crash. I rode too many years without gear, because it wasn't within my price range! So I have a set of basics that I follow. Test rides in front of the house, I'm not going to bother. If I'm going local, and not on the freeway, Helmet, gloves, boots and usually my riding jacket. If I'm going any distance, I'll include the riding pants.

Yeah, I'm taking a chance. How about that. I take a chance every time I get out of bed! I'm not going to let paranoia rule my world. I pay my money and take my chances! And on July 19th, I'll be celebrating 45 years of riding motorcycles!

I would like to also add. I have done just a little more riding in the last 10.5 years (after buying my first ST1300) then I did in my first 34.5 years! I had ridden about 275,600 miles in my first 34.5 years and about 278,800 in the last 10.5 years! I don't plan on stopping anytime soon, either! :D

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
As my wife pointed out, "You don't plan on an accident." But in our case, we do, at least are very alert to our surroundings. All the gear I have, all the time. STill saving for the STich!

Last edited:

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
As my wife pointed out, "You don't plan on an accident." But in our case, we do, at least are very alert to our surroundings. All the gear I have, all the time. STill saving for the STich!
The great advantage of the STich Roadcrafter suit is it removes any choice about ATTGAT. I have a Hi-Viz Olympia Mesh jacket I love but it allows me then to make a decision on what pants to wear; the Olympia pants or maybe just jeans :confused:! No option with the Roadcrafter suit!

Top Bottom