Replace Thermostat?

Bike
2007 ST1300
Hi All, I have a new to me 2007 ST1300 with 25K miles. No records at all of prior maintenance but bike was well cared for. I plan on changing all the fluids and filters, plugs and check/adjust valves. It's seeping antifreeze I think - bluish/greenish color but seems thicker than I would have expected. I bought the bike in Jan. and this seep didn't start until mid Feb. when the garage finally got below freezing. Bike starts/runs great but I have not ridden it yet. Waaay to much snow here.

From what I read here I am thinking I will change the thermostat out of caution. Seems like getting all the plastic off and back on is half the battle.

Anything else I should worry about like radiator hoses, brake lines or fuel lines? Battery seems good but no idea of age.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bob

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Coolant leaks when it freezes is very typical of these bikes. Replacing the hoses and such is really a call you would have to make. I just replaced the hoses on both of my '04s and now on the commuter bike, the waterpump is leaking and the other has developed a leak I have to search for.

To get to all of the hoses, will require, not only the Tupperware to come off, but to remove the throttlebody as well. Also, getting to the two hoses that are on the oil cooler/filter, are a PIA. If you just want to replace the thermostat and the main hoses that go to the radiator, you can do that with just pulling the radiator. While in there, check the hose clamps that you can see.

Be careful pulling the hoses off the radiator, that is pretty soft metal!

Good luck!

Bike
2004 ST1300A
One of the members here (dduelin) made a couple of guides on how to flush radiator and how to replace the t-stat. He sent me the .pdfs and I followed them step by step. They were a life saver. If he doesn't mind either he or I can send them to you.

The plastics aren't difficult to take off either, especially since I found a .pdf here that detailed the procedure and another .pdf (also here) that helps organize the bolts as you take them off. These guys and their knowledge is invaluable, and they aren't stingy. Let me know if I can help. doug

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300
OK - thanks. The bike didn't leak for a month and then bam! I guess when I get it all apart it will be more evident as to the condition of the hoses. Today's hoses on Toyota and Honda cars are really superb. Hope the bike is the same.

There is some good advice on this forum on taking off the plastic and I will heed the advice of the people who know these bikes. Some of the plastic air cleaner covers etc. on other bikes I have had like my wife's Honda Rebel had clips that broke off if you weren't careful.

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300
Doug, If it is convenient, I would love the pdf on how to flush the radiator. As I see it now, the radiator will be off so I can examine it and flush as necessary.

I agree, the guys on this forum are great with their knowledge and willingness to share. I'm way behind the curve here, but hopefully I can help someone out someday.

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
Fuel and brake lines should all be fine and the antifreeze is more than likely seeping from the hose clamps , a very common problem . My 07 will smell a little when started when very cold but soon stops when warm ,but has never left a puddle to date. If and when it does or the dreaded T,STAT acts up ,then I'll dig into mine also !
MIKE

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
One of the members here (dduelin) made a couple of guides on how to flush radiator and how to replace the t-stat. He sent me the .pdfs and I followed them step by step. They were a life saver. If he doesn't mind either he or I can send them to you.

The plastics aren't difficult to take off either, especially since I found a .pdf here that detailed the procedure and another .pdf (also here) that helps organize the bolts as you take them off. These guys and their knowledge is invaluable, and they aren't stingy. Let me know if I can help. doug
I need to clarify this attribution. I'm not the author of the Thermostat Replacement or Coolant Flush tutorials. They were written by Leo7x24. I only saved copies from like 10 years ago.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
Well, even if you don't get credit for creating the documents you do deserve credit for preserving them and passing them on. "Blessed are the feet that bring good news"...messengers deserve credit too!

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300
Thanks to the all the authors and librarians alike!

So how many politicians get caught taking credit for things they never did, like serve in the military (our US Senator Blumenthal for example). On this forum there is clearly a much higher moral standard. Now it could actually get humerous if Leo7X24 should chime in and confess that he too is a librarian and not the author.

In any case, I thank all and would like to get my hands on this historical and valuable document. Just now going down to the garage to get started.

Top Bottom