Helmets Helmets, specifically Nolan N104 & Sena

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
I just came across this thread and would like to make an observation. The Scorpion exo900 that I purchased in Septmber/14 was purchased at a clearance event not far from where I live. I had been watching and comparing for some time and was waiting for it to go on sale as I had discovered it is a discontinued item. It is replaced with the exo900x which is advertised as fitting a different head shape.(This info taken from last years memory bank and is subject to errors and omissions). You may decide to check out the new Scorpion if you were satisfied with the finish of the prior.

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
I ordered two 104's from J&M with headsets installed. I think they are noisy and heavy, but maybe I'm just getting old.:old1:

Just looked at a Bell carbon fiber online, it weighs 3.6 lbs. I weighed my 104, 4.58 lbs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
I ended up buying the Nolan N104 Evo a few weeks ago. I was trying to hold off but my Scorpion was just too worn out to use for the upcoming rallies. The N104 Evo feels very light, very comfortable, and very, very quiet. I managed to test it in 800+ miles of rain, the last 200 miles of which was VERY hard, and the shield didn't leak a drop.

I mounted my Sena SMH10 in it which turned out to be pretty easy. I took a chance and used the double sided tape, using an extra layer to get it to conform to the shape of the helmet. I will have to space the speakers out a bit as they are too far away from my ears which results in a very low volume. I wasn't interested in the Nolan bluetooth once I found out the only thing it will connect to is another Nolan headset. Lots of riders use Sena, so being able to connect with anyone with other brands is great.

I estimate I have around 3000 very happy miles on this helmet now. I appreciate all the info and suggestions.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Good thread. I have the exact same issue with my exo900, and I have a Sena as well. Can I ask how much you paid for your Nolan 104 EXO and where you bought it?

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
Revzilla had it on sale for $359 (solid Silver is what I went with). They had it in my hands 2 days later. Great helmet.

Edit: It looks like I jumped at the right time, as it's $405 now.

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Revzilla had it on sale for $359 (solid Silver is what I went with). They had it in my hands 2 days later. Great helmet.

Edit: It looks like I jumped at the right time, as it's $405 now.
Good deal. Mine are usually the other way around. :mad:

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
As a new Harley owner, I have subscribed to the Road Glide forum. Believe it or not, they have a helmet section and much to my surprise several members praise full face and modular helmets. They like the Nolan 104, as I do. Have had mine three years, love it.

My GF dropped it in gravel after it was a week old, scratched it a little, so I got that over with.

Things I really like about it are the big eye port, the ratcheting chin strap, the release mechanism, the internal sun visor and the ease of shield change.
Vents ok, nothing spectacular. I think it is noisy, but I always wear ear plugs anyway. It is quieter than my old N100 and N102s from years past.
The one thing I do not care for is the size of the outer shell, once you get past a medium, the size increases to accommodate big old heads like mine, and it is huge.

Top Bottom