Tank removal tips...

Bike
2004 ST1300A
Last weekend I installed a cruise control and since it was my second time to do maintenance the Tupperware came off pretty quickly...Well, that and I again used the .pdf from here detailing every step.

It was, however, the first time to remove the tank, and it took a long time to get it off and ever longer time to reinstall.

My K&N filter came in and I would like to install it (the old one looks bad and may be the original with 11 years and 28k miles). So the tank must go off again.

I don't know if it is the "Tour Performance" risers but the tank doesn't hinge up without hitting the bars, even when I slide the tank back on the rear mount.

Any suggestions? Once again, thank you for your plethora of knowledge.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I dont know those risers I have Gen Mar risers and I can lift the front of the tank to get to the air filter. You don't have to remove the tank unless your risers are causing the problem.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
My tank hits the risers also, I just make sure I'm real careful not to "force" it where is scratches it. Haven't yet!

To remove the tank completely, after all the gas is out of it is a little tricky if you don't have the proper tools. Mainly a pair of waterpump pliers Water-Pump_Pliers

Use those for the lower clamp on the main hose.

1. Tip tank by moving tank all the way back on the rear bracket and lift up the front and put the bar in to keep it up.
2. remove hoses from under the tank.
3. remove the grounding cable from the front of the tank.
4. put the tank back down.
5. remove rear bracket form the tank and frame.
6. disconnect the fuel level connector.
7. remove the rear clamp (pulling back towards the lower tank)
8. push the hose forward as you slightly lift the rear of the tank.
9. once the hose is disconnected, remove the tank!

Just the reverse to install.

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
You can tilt the tank with tour pro risers, as well as gen1 mcl& gen1 heli. I have personally done all 3. Its tight but does fit. Also you do not need to remove the tank to do the air cleaner, only tilt it.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Consult the owners manual to place the seat height adjuster in the 'maintenance position' before sliding the tank to the rearmost position. This lessens the strain on the joint hose between upper and lower tanks.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Sometimes on bikes with risers or police motors with radio units between the bars I find it easier to remove the seat bracket and tank fasteners and gentlymove the tank rearward to clear everything. Then you can tip it up and remove the tamk.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have spares too...... I just don't have to use them.
Only once for me, but the next time I had the air cleaner off I retrieved it with a magnet. As a bonus, a second screw (wasn't from me) came up with it. :D

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I remove the pivot screw at the rear of the tank to get a little more rearward movement. Then I bungee the tank to the garage rafters to hold it up. Did my cruise 2 weeks ago. Only stripped one air box screw, but ordered a full set to have fresh screw slots for next time.

John

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300A
I remove the pivot screw at the rear of the tank to get a little more rearward movement. Then I bungee the tank to the garage rafters to hold it up. Did my cruise 2 weeks ago. Only stripped one air box screw, but ordered a full set to have fresh screw slots for next time.

John
Is 3/4 of a tank of gas too much to mess with to change the air filter? That is about 5.5 gallons, minus about 1 gallon in the lower tank...so about 4.5 gallons in the upper tank. At about 7.5 pounds per gallon that comes out to about 34 pounds of gas sloshing around.

These are all VERY ROUGH estimates, but nonetheless there is quite a bit of gas left in the tank.

Only two ways to get rid of the gas...drain it out or burn it out! Maybe I need to go for a ride!

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Is 3/4 of a tank of gas too much to mess with to change the air filter? That is about 5.5 gallons, minus about 1 gallon in the lower tank...so about 4.5 gallons in the upper tank. At about 7.5 pounds per gallon that comes out to about 34 pounds of gas sloshing around.

These are all VERY ROUGH estimates, but nonetheless there is quite a bit of gas left in the tank.

Only two ways to get rid of the gas...drain it out or burn it out! Maybe I need to go for a ride!
I siphoned out a couple of gallons, when I was taking my tank off. Just be careful of the sending unit, which is on the right side of the tank.

John

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300A
I siphoned out a couple of gallons, when I was taking my tank off. Just be careful of the sending unit, which is on the right side of the tank.

John
Ya, that sounds good but I'd end up with gas all over the place...plus it tastes terrible! [emoji13]

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My dad, may he rest in peace, used to call that a 'Georgia credit card'.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Is 3/4 of a tank of gas too much to mess with to change the air filter?
Just changing the air filter??? I wouldn't worry about draining the gas. Just raise the tank and do the job. You will need a more stubby screwdriver to get to the back screws.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just changing the air filter??? I wouldn't worry about draining the gas. Just raise the tank and do the job. You will need a more stubby screwdriver to get to the back screws.
I'm not too sure about that... if there is still enough gas in the tank, it will start coming out the gas cap! DAMHIK! :eek:4:

Top Bottom