has anyone tried more than one set of fork springs?

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
The springs are pretty much the same. There was a STOC discount available from Racetech. I think it was 20%. This makes the prices almost equal. I tried both and noticed no difference between the two. The rating of the spring is more important than the name on the spring. Some may point to web sites that say there is a difference. If there is you will not notice it unless you are racing your bike and have this high level of experience.

Last edited:

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I'd prefer the better quality if there is a difference that makes the Race Tech a better spring. Just wondering what the Race Tech offers over the Sonics.
I can't say one is better that the other. I went with Race Tech because I had the rear shock rebuild with a new spring set to my weight by them. The rebuild is a good deal and can be rebuilt again for around $250. Race Tech springs are constant rate springs while Sonic springs are progressive springs.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I think both RT and Sonic only sell straight rate springs.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
You're right. The stock springs are progressive. Thanks for the correction.
It's not really a correction Reginald. Their website isn't that clear to me - they say why they prefer straight rate springs but don't actually say theirs aren't. That's how I see it anyway.

I did like you. RT rebuilt an OEM shock for me several years ago and I've been really happy with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom