dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Interesting, proactive. I really doubt Honda would do that in the same situation. ;-)
The flange threads are long running on brand specific forums. Many have been already replaced both under warranty and at cost to owners in the last 12 years. Not really proactive - probably cutting legal costs from pending and future actions against the manufacturer.

the oft quoted 100 lb difference is quite a lot. Most owners would probably be happy with 96 lbs lighter and wheels that don't crack.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Interesting, proactive. I really doubt Honda would do that in the same situation. ;-)

edit: saw the GW comment below, wasn't aware of that, so I removed my original comment.

Last edited:

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Yep, Honda needs to step up with their recall program. I've got the letter from them, stating the rear brakes on my Wing may lock up. Basically, that said let a dealer look at it, and when he doesn't see anything wrong (You rode it in, didn't you) their advice is be careful and keep an eye on it, and "We'll get back with you when we find a fix."

Sounds like BMW took the right approach, with their recalls and buy back on certain models.

Ride Safe
John and Janis

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Hey, a lotta stuff will break if you over torque it. Apparently they just didn't build in enough margin for those who don't know what they're doing.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes to using a torque wrench or they use anti-sieze or lubricant on the threads instead of dry assembly. Does the owners manual or shop manual specify dry thread torque or do they expect the owner to know this?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Hey, a lotta stuff will break if you over torque it. Apparently they just didn't build in enough margin for those who don't know what they're doing.
[QUOTE;1835553]You are correct, but there lies the problem, many dont use torque wrenches![/QUOTE]

I would have thought that even without a torque wrench you're not likely to be off by enough to really matter, unless the bolts are small and have a pretty low torque spec to begin with. On my Triumph they used a single large nut on the main spindle to hold the wheel on, with a 147 Nm torque spec IIRC. Looks like these other systems use a perimeter of smaller bolts, but it seems like they'd still be big enough bolts that if you're off a little on the torque spec its not going to be catastrophic.

So what's the typical failure mode ? Do the threads strip out, or does the retaining plate crack, or what?? Seems like this would be the wrong place to underspecify metal content for the sake of weight/cost savings.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Here's more on the recall, 49,000 bikes in the US and Canada. Agree about ham-handed mechanics and impact wrenches. How many have broken a wheel stud trying to remove a car wheel? I know I have more than once.

As to Honda not following thru? I call BS. Honda even replaced the back wheel on STick after she was long out of warranty. Search the data bases, you'll find Honda has had among the lowest volume of recalls. I call that a good thing. :D

Top Bottom