Brake bleed question- do I really need a vacuum tool?

Bike
GL1800/ST1300A
STOC #
Great thread guys! I have been hesitant on bleeding the brakes on my ST1300A due to the PCV/vacuum issue. I have a Motion Pro that I use on my Gold Wing, and it works as advertised. The next time I need to bleed the ST, I'll just use the procedure as outlined in the Service Manual minus the vacuum and do it myself.

Scott

I bled the brakes successfully, no drama's. Used the pedal/lever and due to the bleed nipples drawing in air the motion pro device was fairly redundant and I resorted to shutting off after every stroke. Plenty of new fluid passed through with little or no air coming from the front circuit.

Some cloudy fluid from the rear caliper and the centre fronts (rear circuit). PCV was clear with the SMC in situ and then removing the SMC and inclining it failed to release any new air, interestingly.

Thanks for the help and advice.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Re: Brake bleed questiion- do I really need a vacuum tool?

But you would have to purchase and install 7 of them and how much would that cost?
A check valve tool (motion pro type) would only require 1 and you can use it on any vehicle.
:plus1: Just bled my brakes, using the Motion Pro tool, following the sequence in the Shop Manual.
Easy and fast - just be sure to wrap the bleeder screw with Teflon, to prevent leaks.
Agree with Igofar - why buy 7 or 8 speed bleeders, when one (the MP ) works just fine ?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It's not a matter (usually) of the operator introducing air into the brake system. Air in hydraulic systems is a fact of life. Some of that air that accumulates "naturally" and not through operator error of gets trapped in the SMC. Without removing and tilting it will not be completely free of air.

due to the bleed nipples drawing in air the motion pro device
This is probably because of the cheap tubing that ships with it. Igofar has oft recommended 1) replacing that tubing with some thicker-walled tubing which grips the nipples (easy boys) much more firmly and doesn't allow air in and 2) cutting off the end of the tubing after a few uses to ensure a really good nipple grip.

He's bled the brakes on two of my bikes with the MP and the amount of air that can accumulate is startling. But not as much so as the increased braking force generated from even light lever/pedal pressure. I blamed wimpy stopping on the LBS when it was really air in the lines.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Re: Brake bleed questiion- do I really need a vacuum tool?

Agree with Igofar - why buy 7 or 8 speed bleeders, when one (the MP ) works just fine ?
+1. I bought a MP from Amazon awhile back for $11.00. Price wise the MP wins though I don't see a real down side to getting trick individual valves.

Top Bottom