Front Left Caliper Re fitting

Bike
ST1300A6 ABS
Hello All.

Only got my st1300 at the end of last year, and as I dont know when the brake fluid was last changed, I am about to do a brake fluid flush.

Have read all the articles on how to do it.

I have only one question. The answer may be simply just to rebolt it back on, but---

Q. When refitting the Front Left Caliper, Is there any specific fitting procedure, to make sure the SMC is in the correct position/distance from disc mounting bolt etc.

When refitted should you be able to check it`s working by moving it with your hand? or does it need the braking force of the bike to move it under the torque of the bolts?

Thanks.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
When you remove the LF caliper remove the upper of the two bolts first. This one secures the push rod clevis and we must be careful not to damage it by possible twisting or bending it with undue stress.

When refitting the caliper install the lower one first. Unless you removed or adjusted the push rod clevis it will be the correct length and the SMC will work properly.

A. You can check the operation of the SMC by hand. To do so by yourself you may lay on the ground on the left side of the bike. The bike will be on the centerstand. With your foot push the rear tire into rotating. At the same time push the entire brake caliper/SMC assembly forward. This compresses the SMC and applies rear brake. It will stop the rear tire and/or prevent you from rotating it with your foot. The travel of the caliper forward is not much - perhaps 2 - 4MM is enough to compress the SMC and apply rear brake.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Couldn't have said it better myself. Don't forget to put some waterproof grease on the needle bearings before you assemble it again, and don't put blue thread locker on the lower bolt, but rather on the female threads, this way it won't work its way into the bearings and lock them up. As far as testing it goes, dduelin's post detailed everything you'll need to know perfectly :plus1:
when you push the caliper forward and up, it should only take a gentle push, if you really need to squeeze it hard to get it to stop the rear wheel it is showing signs of failing.

OP
OP
Jaz B
Bike
ST1300A6 ABS
Job done today with no problems. Thanks for all your help.

Top Bottom