Zumo 660

Hey everybody,

I just purchased a Zumo 660LM (anxiously awaiting its arrival) and I was wondering where would be the best place to wire it up for power? I have the quartet harness, so would that be my best bet? I would like it to only be powered on when I start the bike, or in acc. mode, so what plug would I use on the harness, and where can you buy the connectors? I appreciate the help & ride safe!

Pikester

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I have a 660 and I used the quartet harness and it works well. It has switched and unswitched power. It also has accessory power, so you can turn off the engine while still listening to the GPS (for music, for me). I got the connectors from Eastern Beaver, I believe. I think they are Hitachi connectors.

Bill

Bike
2003 ST1300
Yes, it's wired into the quad harness. Here are a couple pics of the mount. I think I got it from someone on this list a few years ago.
Docw1 can you show me the other side of how this Garmin is mounted? I have a 660 as well that I got with my ST1300 when I bought the bike, but it is mounted to the handle bar risers... FAR too low for me to look at, and I want it exactly the way you have it.. I also even have the RBIS system as well, but I have not installed it yet.

Forgive my ignorance because I am very new to this bike, but I have no idea how it is installed.. I have a ram ball mounted system on the riser, and the power wire goes into the panels somewhere and have no idea where they are attached to. What does this wiring harness look like, and how can I get the power to the top behind the windshield?

Bike
2010 ST1300A
Hi Ricochet. Looks like a RBIS mount. Available from www.SportTouringGear.com
I have this set up for my 660 and it is great.
On the site go to shop and then select ST1300 and you will find the mounting system. Very easy to install.
Steve

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Yep, that's it. The power can come from anyplace you can bring in wires from. I used the quartet harness, which is a convenient place to access. The quartet harness itself is an extra cost item, but it's pretty low-cost. It plugs into the system up under the L side panel. You'll need to get some Hitachi connectors. I just ran the wires through the seam at the top of the dash (had to Dremel out some space) and snaked them down to the left to hook into the harness. At least one of the quartet harness leads has the ACC setting so that the GPS will stay on(along with music and phone calls, if you have a headset) so you can listen to music while filling up.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Yep, that's it. The power can come from anyplace you can bring in wires from. I used the quartet harness, which is a convenient place to access. The quartet harness itself is an extra cost item, but it's pretty low-cost. It plugs into the system up under the L side panel. You'll need to get some Hitachi connectors. I just ran the wires through the seam at the top of the dash (had to Dremel out some space) and snaked them down to the left to hook into the harness. At least one of the quartet harness leads has the ACC setting so that the GPS will stay on(along with music and phone calls, if you have a headset) so you can listen to music while filling up.
Thats what I was trying to figure out, if you actually made a cut or modification to the area up there with the dash board to get the wire in.

My concern is that I am unfamiliar with how everything is put together on this bike since I bought it used, I don't know how the previous owner did any of the wiring. I checked my bike last night and saw that the Zumo mount has a wire that goes down into the area with all the other wires and cables and then moves off to the right side, so I am assuming that its going to towards the battery. I am wondering if its possible to disconnect the wiring on the mounting side (take the wire away from the mount so I can move it up to the dash board) instead of taking off all the plastic and removing everything from the battery area and back down again just to get the mount up there....) Hope that makes sense.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Hi Ricochet. Looks like a RBIS mount. Available from www.SportTouringGear.com
I have this set up for my 660 and it is great.
On the site go to shop and then select ST1300 and you will find the mounting system. Very easy to install.
Steve
Thanks Aussieboy, I actually did buy that mounting system I just haven't installed it yet... I am looking forward to getting my ram mounts to get it all setup!

OP
OP
Guys,

I need help! I installed my zumo 660 and I wired it into the 3 pin black connector, using the green for ground & light green/black for switched power, and now, every time I start the bike, my clock, trip meter and mpg all reset to zero. Any ideas?

OP
OP
Found the problem, and know what I did wrong. I was an idiot and I did not disconnect my battery while I was wiring everything & I blew the 10A fuse. Replaced the fuse and now everything seems to be good again.

DaveH

Max Spying
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I've had a 660 for about two years now. I tried wiring it to the quartet harness but I discovered that I heard alternator whine when I listened to the MP3 player. So I wired it to the Blue Sea fuse block I installed near the rear brake light and the whine went away. I've also got an Autocom that it the 660 is hooked up to. Love it!!

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Found the problem, and know what I did wrong. I was an idiot and I did not disconnect my battery while I was wiring everything & I blew the 10A fuse. Replaced the fuse and now everything seems to be good again.
You did better then me. I had my 660 wired into My J&M CB and was using a NGP antenna. One of the grounds in the system came loose and sent the voltage back up the ground wires to the GPS and fried the audio system. Didn't realize what had happened for a while, so I fried two more units. Fortunately, Garmin replaced them all, but was starting to have some questions.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I installed a quartet harness on my ST, and used the switched lead to feed a powerlet centered over the steering tube between the handlebars (MCL sells this part). I now use a USB adapter to feed my GPS which is mounted on a 3 ball RBIS attached to the dashboard. Unplugs quickly and the powerlet has a spring loaded cover.

If you haven't already bought the RBIS bar, give some thought to spending the extra money for the 3 mount system. You may want more places to hang gear later.

Bike
2003 ST1300
I installed a quartet harness on my ST, and used the switched lead to feed a powerlet centered over the steering tube between the handlebars (MCL sells this part). I now use a USB adapter to feed my GPS which is mounted on a 3 ball RBIS attached to the dashboard. Unplugs quickly and the powerlet has a spring loaded cover.

If you haven't already bought the RBIS bar, give some thought to spending the extra money for the 3 mount system. You may want more places to hang gear later.
Can you take some detailed picture of your setup so I can see what you did with the USB setup?

Top Bottom