spare throttle cable?

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Wondering if folks with high mileage 1100's carry spare throttle cables, maybe when on a long trip. Perhaps zip tied to the frame somewhere or even possibly to the existing cables.

Got to thinking about this as I think about why my throttle is returning slowly. I know there are the opposing viewpoints of lubing the cables vs never lubing them (which I believe is how it should go with this bike).
I do have spare cables.

Bike
92 ST1100
Wondering if folks with high mileage 1100's carry spare throttle cables, maybe when on a long trip. Perhaps zip tied to the frame somewhere or even possibly to the existing cables.

Got to thinking about this as I think about why my throttle is returning slowly. I know there are the opposing viewpoints of lubing the cables vs never lubing them (which I believe is how it should go with this bike).
I do have spare cables.
Hi Dean,
Check the positioning of the throttle loc if you got one on there. They can slightly angle a bit binding up the throttle tube......JAT. Coil the extra cable up and toss it in the bottom of one of the sidecases........if ya got it with ya', you'll never need it......Murphy's other law;).

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Never thought or worried about it. If your throttle is returning slowly, I would be surprised if it is the cable.
Ditto. On both points. I've looked at both ends of my cables (24 years and 178K) recently and they aren't going to fail any time soon. And yes, no lubing, ever.

John
via iPhone 4S

Bike
92 ST1100
Ditto. On both points. I've looked at both ends of my cables (24 years and 178K) recently and they aren't going to fail any time soon. And yes, no lubing, ever.

John
via iPhone 4S
No lubing seems to have worked so far in my bikes life also. Good to see some high mileage numbers showing that's not a normal issue. Wonder if the same would apply to a new factory clutch cable waiting for me to install on my my other listed bike?

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
A slow returning cable is generally too short. It can be adjusted at the throttle body or on the cable itself. If the cables are adjusted all the way out, then it's bound to be a routing issue. Have you had te plastic off lately? Or added risers? Check the routing of your cables and make sure that they make a nice arc from the throttle around the shelter, to the throttle body.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
In nearly 40 years of riding several different bikes, I've never had a broken throttle cable, and never lubed one. I have had a broken clutch cable, however, on my GS850, happened while riding the bike. Also have had numerous broken speedometer cables. Two cables we don't have to worry about on our ST's.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Concur with UP and John, if not abused the throttle cables last many miles/years...
I replaced the ones on the '94 just precautionary, but couldn't find anything "wrong" with the old ones...
I check throttle movement with steering fully left, centre and fully right, must snap back freely in all positions.
With engine running I again slowly move the handlebar from fully left, over centre to fully right and back, the idle must not change during this, would indicate something binding or being set too short.

No lubing seems to have worked so far in my bikes life also.
In fact might any lube even be counter-productive, IIRC are the sleeving's plastic/teflon coated, the layer might soften due any "oils" applied, and then the cables really start to bind/stuck...

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
My first thought was also the throttle lock, but nope. I have a bunch of plastic off and will be investigating further when it ever warms up in the garage.
I've never lubed the cables (4 years), previous to that don't know.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
If you've done this during the cold, I find it always returns slowly, but seems to work as it should when things warm up. If not, I loosen the throttle adjustment nut up near the grip, and see how the throttle returns. If is snaps back just tighten slowly and keep checking as you tighten until it gets slow again, then back off a bit. Like Martin B, I make sure the handle bar is turned full left when I do this.

Bike
92 ST1100
Another thought Dean............Don't know if you've changed bars in the past or not, but approx. a yr. after I installed the older style HeliBars, the powder coating started coming loose under where throttle sleeve rides and binding up throttle tube. Had to remove that right-side bar controls and wrapped emory paper around bar and give it a good polishing to shiney metal and clean inside of throttle tube. Problem solved, and that's been several yrs. ago.

jerryvolkers

Site Supporter
Bike
1999 ST1100Y
After I installed new grips several years ago I had an interference problem between the new rubber and the switchgear, causing a slow returning throttle. Just had to peel back the rubber grip a "tad", problem solved

JPrieST

Don't squat with your spurs on
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Another thought Dean............Don't know if you've changed bars in the past or not, but approx. a yr. after I installed the older style HeliBars, the powder coating started coming loose under where throttle sleeve rides and binding up throttle tube. Had to remove that right-side bar controls and wrapped emory paper around bar and give it a good polishing to shiney metal and clean inside of throttle tube. Problem solved, and that's been several yrs. ago.
+1 I had the same issue a few years ago. Also with HeliBars. Don't know if the same problem happens with stock bars or not. Loosen up the cable enough that you can "isolate" the issue. IOW with the cable loose you can feel how easily the grip turns with no interference from the cables or return spring @ the carb.

Top Bottom