Helmets LEO and half/3/4 helmets

Bike
2010 ST1300
There is another thread about half helmets, and most of the responders seem to feel more comfortable in full face/modular hats.

Given the additional protection that these provide, why do so many motorcyle police officers wear half or 3/4 hemets? Ok, I'll state the obvious - they are supposed to keep the rubber side down and are more skilled riders than most of us. But still..... Is there a departmental regulation that they present a less threatening picture to motorists? Why not modular?

Bike
2004 ST1300A
I am not an LEO but I do wear a modular, so I'll answer from that perspective...

LEO's spend a good but of time getting on and off the bike, particularly in high traffic areas. Not only do they need to be looking out for motorists as they dismount and approach, they also have have a good view while at the vehicle. Even with the front up, my view is a bit limited, both on the sides and the top.

Second, the helmets are heavier to start with; when the front is raised it shifts weight to the front making the weight go forward. Ok for a few minutes but after a while it might be unpleasant.

Third, after going up and down dozens of times a day I would guess the mechanism might start to wear out. I don't have the high $ Shoei, but after 4 years and maybe 100 lifts my HJC isn't ultra smooth.

Lastly, my front section is held up by a detent; it stays up when I walk (and maybe even run). But if a scuffle ensued the front could come partially down obstructing my view.

So for convenience, comfort, and safety (being able to see traffic and potential threats better) I can imagine why some LEO's go with the 3/4 helmet.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
In Europe the LEOs wear modular helmets. A retired Gendarme friend of mine used to wear the Nolan modular.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
My sons PD got modular helmets but the brass made them go back to open face because they said it was "more citizen friendly".

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
If I had to make the split-second decision to draw and shoot a firearm, I'd want the 3/4 helmet.

No time to flip a floppin' modular flipper when SHTF.

Bike
'15 FJR ES
It is worth mentioning that most Motorcycle Officers do not wear armored jackets or pants either. I asked a motor officer about this and was told that they needed to be physically able to deal with violent suspects more than they needed to be protected from accidents. The restrictive protective riding gear was far more likely to get them hurt in a physical altercation than to protect them in the event of an accident. They rely on their training and skills for that.

I also thought the open face helmets would be more "citizen friendly" but that would not explain the mirror lens sunglasses they wear.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just for reference: I have bought 4 Shoei Multitec modular helmets since November 2007. My first, a Silver, was in my April 2008 accident, just scratched up a little. My wife uses it when she rides. My second Red, was bought in May 2008. I used that pretty much daily until July of 2011, when I bought my third, a Silver one. I continue to use that daily. My last one, I bought last Spring (I think June 2014 - I bought knowing that they weren't making them any longer and were getting hard to find). I use that helmet when I take my trips (like the Southwest Tour we did last September). I have never had any of them fail, due to the "hinge". My son Justin is still using the Red one I bought back in 2008.

Yeah, 5 years...as far as I'm concerned, that's to get you to buy new every five years. I use them until they are not comfortable, meaning the interior is falling apart.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
Just for reference: I have bought 4 Shoei Multitec modular helmets since November 2007. My first, a Silver, was in my April 2008 accident, just scratched up a little. My wife uses it when she rides. My second Red, was bought in May 2008. I used that pretty much daily until July of 2011, when I bought my third, a Silver one. I continue to use that daily. My last one, I bought last Spring (I think June 2014 - I bought knowing that they weren't making them any longer and were getting hard to find). I use that helmet when I take my trips (like the Southwest Tour we did last September). I have never had any of them fail, due to the "hinge". My son Justin is still using the Red one I bought back in 2008.

Yeah, 5 years...as far as I'm concerned, that's to get you to buy new every five years. I use them until they are not comfortable, meaning the interior is falling apart.
My helmet will be well worn out in other areas before the hinge goes. But like I said, and LEO is likely to raise it up and down 20-30 times a day...I don't do that in 3 years!

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I had always supposed, in the absence of actual knowledge or facts, that it had to do with a need to operate a radio, and therefore to keep their mouths clear.

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
Many years ago when I was riding Police bikes in the UK the decision to issue full face helmets was as a consequence of our BMW800RT's being upgraded to BMW K100's, however the screen on the latter provided far less wind protection than the 'barn door' of the RT and if/when the wind force caught the peak of the open face helmet it either ripped it straight off or flipped your head back.

One immediate and surprising effect of the new issue full-face helmet was that on day one a motorist with whom I wanted a quick word became instantly aggressive and called me a Nazi Robot :confused: and later made a formal complaint against me... I stood there after he'd gone thinking "What the hell???"

As a result an instruction was issued that we had to remove our full face helmets before speaking with members of the public - which may I say was a PITA!

Despite that I find them safer and more comfortable.

Last edited:

TPadden

Tom Padden
Many years ago when I was riding Police bikes in the UK ......Despite that I find them safer and more comfortable.
Safer is a very relative state of mind concerning the job. Many years ago we did some cross training with the Thames Valley Police (a lot of it was social :)) and the one thing that both Departments immediately recognized was how very different our policing was. In S. Cal we had to go hands on physical every day, in Reading, UK, the Sgt I was assigned to could only remember having to get physical (running after someone doesn't count) twice in over 20 years of policing. The UK constables could not believe how physical our daily arrests were and our motor officers were almost as likely to be rolling on the ground as the four wheeled ones.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The UK constables could not believe how physical our daily arrests were and our motor officers were almost as likely to be rolling on the ground as the four wheeled ones.
Right. Motor cops make many more traffic stops daily than patrol and even more than traffic units. The odds of contacting a citizen who really doesn't want to be bothered (as opposed to those who just wish you weren't "hassling" them (lol) are commensurately greater than their counterparts.

Whether wearing full-face or modular helmets getting "face-masked" would make the job a lot tougher.

No doubt there would be a mandate to remove the helmet or raise the lid lest a segment of the citizenry inevitably complain about police hiding their identity.

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
Right. Motor cops make many more traffic stops daily than patrol and even more than traffic units. The odds of contacting a citizen who really doesn't want to be bothered (as opposed to those who just wish you weren't "hassling" them (lol) are commensurately greater than their counterparts.

Whether wearing full-face or modular helmets getting "face-masked" would make the job a lot tougher.

No doubt there would be a mandate to remove the helmet or raise the lid lest a segment of the citizenry inevitably complain about police hiding their identity.
I would partly agree with you... I did 14 years on bikes and only became involved in a handful of 'scraps', mostly when I was stationed at Portsmouth. The city had a number of Naval bases and more than its fair share of fights in the town most nights, but at a more rural station the incidents were rarer, plus we were more likely to personally know the offender therefore reducing the likelihood of a problem.

I returned to 'Beat Duties' for about 6 years prior to my retirement from the Police and experienced fights and scuffles on a daily, or should I say several times a day, basis... It seemed that no-one was willing to be detained quietly anymore, although I personally believe that this was symptomatic of the general public attitude of that time.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
It is worth mentioning that most Motorcycle Officers do not wear armored jackets or pants either.
I'm proud to contradict in one instance: Saint Paul, MN Police wear Aerostich Roadcrafters.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
The one's I have met in Cincinnati look and dress exactly like Ponch and John in Chips. Tight blue shirt, tight blue pants, tall black boots and white open face helmets. They mostly hide behind their bikes next to supports on overpasses and shoot radar or lazer or whatever it is with little rectangular box like objects.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I'm proud to contradict in one instance: Saint Paul, MN Police wear Aerostich Roadcrafters.
Even at my Social Security eligible age, I'd give you odds that I could outrun any one in ATGATT and almost anyone in an Aerosmith Roadcrafters. It really depends what you expect your Motor Officers to do when off the bike. Ours were expected to provide cover to Patrol Officers when required. If one showed up in a Stitch, by the time he got off his bike the laughter might have died down, but the bangers would be gone .......

Ours wore the same black BDU's the tactical teams wore. Similar to:

Last edited:

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I've never seen a motorcycle cop chase anyone on the motorcycle (most policies prohibit this) or on foot.

Mostly just parades and stationary speed enforcement on parkways. 'Stich would be fine.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I've never seen a motorcycle cop chase anyone on the motorcycle (most policies prohibit this) or on foot.

Mostly just parades and stationary speed enforcement on parkways. 'Stich would be fine.
Your motor officers sound like meter maids, not Cops. :D

In my Department when a Code 3 call for cover went out our motor officers were as likely as not to be the first on scene and expected to go hands on immediately. I've had them as cover on everything from domestic disputes, to gang enforcement, and narcotics arrests. Policing is different everywhere but if you can do your job in a Stitch you should be fighting fires not making arrests. :rofl1:

Last edited:

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE

Come to southern California. Motor cops get in just as many scraps as the car jockeys.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've never seen a motorcycle cop chase anyone on the motorcycle (most policies prohibit this)
?? Motorcycle pursuits are the norm around here. Not prohibited at all but they're subject to PnR just like patrol vehicle pursuits. The main difference is motors will yield the pursuit to a patrol or traffic unit once they're in position. Foot pursuits are tough though because of the riding boots most departments use.

Tough times have made deep cuts into traffic divisions but besides traffic enforcement motor officers are expected to cover patrol units and be first responders to crimes in progress. Like many other departments since the North Hollywood bank robbery/gunfight they are um- extra-armed too.

Top Bottom