ST1100 Auxiliary Hard Bags - Need more storage capacity? Honda's Grand Touring Option

STOC #
Hello Forum Members,

After organizing the following information on another forum, I thought I should cross-post it here in case someone may be interested.

(Summary)

Here's a photo/farkle for the guys/gals who may ride two-up and prefer more cargo capacity for tools, spare parts, camping gear or anything else on your list... I allocate the trunk space for riding gear while parked and use the front bags for the heavier items such as tools, tent stakes, rain/cold weather gear or less frequently accessed items.

>Love the idea of the front hard bags. How did you mount them? <

I know the front bags are not for everyone. However, I don't care to shuffle things around that I don't use everyday simply to access things I do use everyday, especially while traveling two-up or motorcycle camping. Most riders don't care to drag their tool bag, air compressor or spares into a hotel room or to sort their luggage in the parking lot.

The extra capacity is significant. Those little bags hold a lot more than you may guess at first glance. Even the lids are shaped to accommodate more.
There is a lot gained and very little compromised by installing the bags.

The mounted front bags/panniers:
* are narrower than the width of the rear panniers and may be the same width of the mirrors.
* provide additional protection from the wind and rain.
* retain access to the oil fill cap (simply unlock and lift the lid)
* prevents tampering of the oil fill cap and spark plug wires
* provide additional leg protection while in an accident. I met an amputee once who lost his leg due to a broadside collision with a car while on a motorcycle. If packed with heavy items, such as tools, the bags offer an additional buffer.
* are secure with matching locks
* keep the cargo weight low and towards the front
* do not interfere with splitting lanes or moving the motorcycle
* do not interfere with rider's legs
* do not create any heat dissipation issues
* are mounted with only four bolts and may be removed quickly
* provides peace of mind by being more organized and packing bags according to frequency of use
* helps an owner become more self-reliant by packing more troubleshooting tools and spares.
* often fools the general public into thinking they are stock OEM bags or accessories
* become permanent once used for a while by spoiling the owner

Compromises:
* larger front profile and possibly less aerodynamic (ref photo)... perhaps a fuel tax?
* appearance for those strict 'form over function' folks
* Fortunately, I have not had an opportunity to crash test the panniers/bags.

The installation is rather simple. I purchased:
* the bags on eBay from a company in San Francisco. ($125-ish in 2009)
* a pair of aftermarket ST1100 highway pegs & associated mounts (ref photo)
* Honda OEM markers and Pan American Logo
* services of a local fabrication shop to provide the mounting platform.

Btw, if you are careful while determining the placement of the front panniers, the maintenance covers may be removed while the front panniers are mounted. The image of the front of the motorcycle was taken after blasting through Death Valley last year. Following is a side profile image to illustration the size of the front panniers relative to the front fairing/maintenance cover, etc.

I hope all these photographs inspire fellow riders to consider a similar upgrade... just tell folks it is the grand touring 'option' by Honda.
Hopefully the following photographs are self-explanatory.

Go Ride!
-David (San Diego)

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
Re: ST1100 Auxiliary Hard Bags - Need more storage capacity? Honda's Grand Touring Op

Doubly impressive. The STs look like they're on STeroids, Arnold Schwarzenegger STyle, the Scarlet and the Black. :yes:

Styles

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Re: ST1100 Auxiliary Hard Bags - Need more storage capacity? Honda's Grand Touring Op

David:

You have demonstrated great ingenuity and awesome engineering, and documented the project very well for the rest of us. For that, you deserve commendations.

But...

Lawd in heaven, why do you need that much storage capacity? Every summer, I spend 4 to 6 weeks on the road in Europe with my ST1100. One pannier is 50% occupied by technical support stuff (toolkit, paper maps, etc.) and 50% occupied by raingear, heated vests, and other foul-weather clothing. I can put all the clothing I need for a 6 week tour in the other pannier, and still have lots of room left over for a tablet computer, camera, and other little things I might pick up along the way. I don't have a top box, nor do I use a tankbag.

I wonder if perhaps life would be easier for you if you just brought less stuff with you. Honestly, no offense meant.

Michael

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #

Would be interested in hearing about that rear case and how you mounted it. Or maybe it's for fuel?

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600

I'm not a super long distance rider (mostly day trips) so I don't need exceptional storage, but that looks very good- well integrated with the bike. It just looks as if accessing the highway pegs might be a little difficult since the accessory hard bag is in the way.

OP
OP
Splash
STOC #

Styles/Fnmag/CYYJ & DeanR: Hello and thank you for your comments and replies.

>Why do you need that much storage capacity?<

Every rider is different and each of us have different hobbies, interests and priorities. I enjoy photography and travel with a lot photography equipment. As mentioned above, I like to have everything secured while parked and walking about in a park or in the city. (Don't give a thief an opportunity to disappoint you..) Therefore, my riding suit and boots utilize the trunk while parked. I use bag liners in the panniers and allocate one to my gal and one for myself or we share one and utilize the other for a small cooler containing food she prepared before leaving. (Her cooking is much healthier than the restaurants.) I suppose some may take advantage of hotels/restaurants and do not camp. I am sure many motorcycling-campers on this forum would like additional storage. When camping, additional volume is needed... sleeping bags and tents are not heavy. By utilizing the smaller aux. panniers for smaller items, additional space is available in the rear panniers for larger items. For three years I did not have a car/truck and used my motorcycle for everything. The extra capacity may be convenient for the daily riders without a second vehicle for daily errands such as going to the grocery store. As I mentioned in the original posts, I understand this mod isn't for everyone...

>Would be interested in hearing about that rear case and how you mounted it<

In regards to the 'rear case', you must be referencing the fuel cell mounted low and behind the rear fender/tail section. That 'rear case' provides a little piece of mind, especially on a Sunday night of a holiday weekend in the middle of nowhere. (One can't always rely on a Mom & Pop fuel station to be open late in the evening during the weekend.) It is 3.6 gallons and supplements the primary fuel tank to provide a total fuel capacity of 11 gallons (41.6 liters). The fuel is gravity fed to the bottom of the primary tank and is managed by a manual valve and an electrical valve that is accessible while riding. It feels good to pull out of the fuel station and know you are 'good to go' for several hundred miles (five hundred miles in theory if you are light on the gas). On the other hand, if you are pushing the motorcycle hard in higher elevations/mountains or in the open desert, the extra fuel on board is nice. It even feels better to hit a switch and watch the fuel gauge climb from 'E" to above half full. Unfortunately, I did not photograph either fuel cell installation and do not have any photographs to share. I've installed fuel cells on my first three ST1100's and have enjoyed the extra capacity over the years. I do not participate long distance competitions. You may learn more from the following url:

http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=3488.0

I am not on the forum very often, but will try to check in once in a while. That's all for now. David

Last edited:
OP
OP
Splash
STOC #

>It just looks as if accessing the highway pegs might be a little difficult since the accessory hard bag is in the way<

Correct. Unless one has very long legs, the highway pegs are not usable. I will remove the both highway pegs the next time the front panniers are removed.

Top Bottom