Minor knee surgery. Are you experienced?

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
I had knee surgery 2/4/15 for torn cartilage. After two and a half weeks of PT, the knee was improving well. Then I slipped on ice. Another doc appointment, and according to the doc, I "strained" it. My next PT appointment, my therapist said there's something else wrong in there and told me to go back to my doc because of the snapping and popping in the joint accompanied with pain. Another trip to the doc, an x-ray, denied more PT and set up another appointment in two months. Now I'm still having intense sharp pain on occasion when walking, at times reverting to using my crutches. Am I expecting too much too soon and give it more time, or go see another doc? Suggestions please. I've been dealing with this since the second week of December and it's getting old.

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
Real simple answer.....go back to the doctor or see another doctor. Insist on getting an answer as to whats going on inside that knee, and get it fixed.......period :)

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300, VT750C
I agree that you should investigate more. A second opinion is a great idea, especially since it sounds like your current doc is losing your confidence.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
I had arthroscopic knee work done several years ago and bounced back pretty quick, 6 weeks. I remember him ordering X-rays and said it was difficult to tell what was going on and sent me in for an MRI. MRI. was very clear at showing what was going on in there.
I'm surprised your Dr. Hasn't requested an MRI!
I'm not a Dr. But I think you need to find one that will order an MRI to determine what is going on with your knee.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
I'd trust your PTs assessment. They work with those joints every day and know how they're supposed to feel and work, how much flexibility and pain, etc....get a second Dr...........ff

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Crap Glen, I hope you get that worked out soon. Good luck!

Bike
92 ST1100
STOC #
As someone who has had 5 surgeries on my right knee and 1 on my left , have your doc do an MRI ,that is the ONLY way to get a look at what is wrong, Xrays cant show tissue damage only bone.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
I too like the idea of getting a second opinion. Find a very good orthopedic surgeon. I've had damaged cartilage that had to be repaired as well as an ACL replacement. For both, I used the best doc I could find. Trust me. You don't want to screw around with your knees.

John

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
As a veteran of 3 knee scopes and two replacements - what you probably did was torn the meniscus more and the 'flapping' loose edge is catching in the knee joint. When it catches in the knee joint, there tends to be puddles of yellow water on the ground with stains down the leg, in my experience. :D If you've torn more, all the PT in the world will not fix it but will make it worse as it creates scar tissue. Soft tissue tears will not show on XRays and are hard to spot on MRIs and some CAT scans. Find a knee doctor that works on athletes if you can - they are used to that sort of stuff. BTW, my left knee looked 'perfect' on the XRay and hurt beyond belief. When my doc got in there to scope it, there all sort of tissue floating around and tears - looked like a bomb had been set off. The scope did no good because there was so much damage, so after a couple of months with no improvement, I went for the replacement.

Bike
R1200rt
Phil is correct/ If there is a lot of fluid built up from inflammation a bakers cyst will show up, when the leg is completely straight a bulge on the back of the knee. I had my knee cap lifted to remove a torn piece of meniscus that lodged itself under it. I was playing volleyball one week after the surgery with 20 staples still in my knee. Yea I had some pain later but the more I used it the better it became.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
As a veteran of 4 minor knee surgeries myself, I concur with the others about finding another doctor who will investigate your complaints of pain... An MRI would be minimal to get to the bottom of what is ailing you.

Bike
91-ST1100 & PC800
STOC #
Isn't it a ***** to get old.... I have had 5 operations on the right and 3 on the left, I am not a doctor
however I sure know about knees, you best go get an MRI and or Xrays again, I had that and it was in the back of my knee
they ended up replacing the bottom part of my knee socket not fun and lots of PT, 2 years ago I got T-boned on my ST1100
sitting at a stop sign 8 weeks after having a total knee replacement on the right knee.. that was not a good time...
now everything is fine knees work great.. you need a new doctor I am guessing you need more than physical therapy..
Good luck.
Get better soon
Dave

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Papa

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Thanks guys for sharing your experiences and suggestions. I will call him in the morning and if I don't get immediate attention, I will go to another physician.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
As a veteran of 3 knee scopes and two replacements - what you probably did was torn the meniscus more and the 'flapping' loose edge is catching in the knee joint. When it catches in the knee joint, there tends to be puddles of yellow water on the ground with stains down the leg, in my experience. :D If you've torn more, all the PT in the world will not fix it but will make it worse as it creates scar tissue. Soft tissue tears will not show on XRays and are hard to spot on MRIs and some CAT scans. Find a knee doctor that works on athletes if you can - they are used to that sort of stuff. BTW, my left knee looked 'perfect' on the XRay and hurt beyond belief. When my doc got in there to scope it, there all sort of tissue floating around and tears - looked like a bomb had been set off. The scope did no good because there was so much damage, so after a couple of months with no improvement, I went for the replacement.
+10
I went through torn meniscus last year. Sounds like youstill have a flap that is getting trapped. MRI and second opinion are your next moves.

Rod

OP
OP
Papa

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
After two visits, two x-rays, and finally a MRI today, turns out you guys are spot on. Surgery is scheduled for 4/1, next Wednesday. When the doc came in to tell me, he seemed kind of apologetic. I said, "You didn't believe me did you?". He said it was just so rare as far along as I was to have it tear again. All I know is, next week, I get to start over on getting this knee pain free. woot woot I think he thought I was just after pain meds that I never requested anyway. I just wanted to know what the frick was wrong as I was improving so well before the slip.
Nice write up on your site UP. Thanks again folks.

Bike
2010 ST1300
After two visits, two x-rays, and finally a MRI today, turns out you guys are spot on. Surgery is scheduled for 4/1, next Wednesday. When the doc came in to tell me, he seemed kind of apologetic. I said, "You didn't believe me did you?". He said it was just so rare as far along as I was to have it tear again. All I know is, next week, I get to start over on getting this knee pain free. woot woot I think he thought I was just after pain meds that I never requested anyway. I just wanted to know what the frick was wrong as I was improving so well before the slip.
Nice write up on your site UP. Thanks again folks.
Real glad you got some resolution here. Docs are human too, and make mistakes. Good luck with your surgery and rehab.

STark1050

Garry Franklin
Bike
03 st1300
I agree with uncle Phil. In 82 I low sided my CBX and got my right leg turned 180. This tore up the knee and my hip. I have had knee reconstruction and hip replacement. Find a orthopedic dr. that is young enough to understand your issues. I bet the Knee needs to be replaced. The modern technique is a lot better than it was a few years ago.
Garry

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Papa - Glad you got some resolution. When your 'running gear' is out of whack, it makes life a lot more difficult. Good luck on your repair. Ain't you glad they can still get spare parts and do repairs on us older models? :D

OP
OP
Papa

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Thanks for the well wishes. Which is better Phil, NOS or aftermarket? :D

Top Bottom