Minor knee surgery. Are you experienced?

OP
OP
Papa

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
I graduated. Total replacement 12/15. Hopefully, this will be the end of it.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Papa - Good luck! I just passed 5 years on my right replacement. Did 10 miles on my exercise bike and walked 3 miles this morning with no pain. Remember - get a recliner up high where you can get out of it easy and sleep in it with your knee above your heart. And take the pain meds whether you think you need to or not - staying ahead of the pain is very important. And as I tell folks, the doctors put them in, the therapists make them work. ;-) And if they offer your a pain 'block', take it - it makes it a little more pleasant for a while.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
I graduated. Total replacement 12/15. Hopefully, this will be the end of it.
Wishing you the best. Do your PT religiously. Had my right one done 7/30 and still swollen. Doc said should go down soon. When is soon?

OP
OP
Papa

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Thanks guys. I have a habit of waking up during surgery and being squeamish to begin with, I admit, I'm terrified I will wake up and see my knee layed open like a gutted deer. So nervous I can't eat today. I pass out if I see them draw blood for lab work. The thought of canceling has crossed my mind, but I just gotta buck up and do it. I feel like such a wimp but I just can't help my phobia. I gotta feeling I'm gonna regret this admission at some point. :)

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Well I am hoping what everyone says is right. I should have done it a long time ago. Yesterday was a bad day for me. I called today to get in to see my Doc. I can't get in to see him until January the 7th.
I guess now that I have been through so many surgeries now with no problems, that part does not bother me. I go to sleep, wake up and it is all over. He told me three days in the hospital if everything goes as planned. That part I am not looking forward to. Then comes rehab again. This time should go much faster. I could not put weight on my leg for 4 months when I broke it. And I was off work for 7 months. So if all goes well, I'll be back to work in 2 months. And back to riding without pain shortly after that.
Hopefully in a coupe of months you will back to enjoying a pain free life again. Don't put off what you know you need to do. I've done enough of that for both of us!
Keep us posted on your progress. You can do this!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
They generally get you out of the hospital as quick as they can - about 3 days. As soon as you are functionally able to get in and out of a 'car' and do a few steps - at least that's the way it was for me. The key is pushing hard in therapy to maximize the flexibility. I had a lot of 'at home' therapy assignments so I did those also. The docs put the stuff in, the therapists make it work! Messed up knees don't get better, they get worse until you have them replaced. In about 8 weeks, you'll be glad you pulled the trigger and wonder why you waited so long. ;-) If I didn't have those 'pretty' scars, most days I would not know that I had replacements - they work that well if done right.

OP
OP
Papa

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Well, I didn't wake up and the third day I was out. I almost had to spend another night because the block they had given me wore off and the pain meds were not strong enough so the pain got ahead of the meds. They doubled the dose and zip, I'm outta there. Yesterday I my PT sent me to the hospital for an ultra sound as he suspected a blood clot behind the knee. Turned out negative on the clot, so it's probably a bad muscle strain or tear.:headbang: Still, I missed PT yesterday.:( If it were not for the pain in my calf, I'd be dancin a jig.

Keith, I'm sure you already know, as others have stated, PT is the key to a good recovery. I always have better range of motion after the torture.

If any of this sounds goofy or garbled, I'm still on the meds. :hyp1: Hopefully, in another week, I can put them down.

Merry Christmas Everybody!

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Glad you are home! And I hope things start getting better for you soon.
The rehab is no fun at all. This time should be a lot shorter for me. I could not put weight on my leg for 4 months last time. And I was off work for 7 months. I hope to be back at work in 2 months. My NoricTrac will be getting all the miles riding while the 3 in the garage take a break. Maybe I can track my miles this time. I'll be using it everyday. Even the days I go to PT.
I believe UP when he said to take your pain meds to help you get through your PT. It is a short window to gain your range of motion. We have to push ourselves.
Keep up the hard work and I hope to see you soon. We can compare stories about our aftermarket parts.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I talked to him last week. He seems to be doing well. He said he is off of pain meds and that he is doing good with his PT.
I am waiting on a call back to know when they are going to do mine. Should be the first or second week of February.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
I talked to him last week. He seems to be doing well. He said he is off of pain meds and that he is doing good with his PT.
I am waiting on a call back to know when they are going to do mine. Should be the first or second week of February.
Keith, wishing you the best my friend. Mine is slowly, very slowing coming around. Guess it affects each of us differently.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Keith - I'm approaching six years on mine and for the most part, I don't even think about it other than not doing certain things. I walked three miles this morning and rode ten miles on an exercise bike - something I do 5 days a week. Good luck on your surgery!

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I hope mine goes smooth like Pappa's did. Sorry to hear you are still having a hard time Gary.
I remember the rehab 11 years ago. I put a lot of miles on my exercise bike and at the walking track. I look forward to getting to that point again.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Well mine will done 2-8-16 at 7:30 am. A new knee for my Birthday present. I'm just ready to get it over with.

OP
OP
Papa

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Keith is otw back to the hospital right now suspecting an infection. Healing thoughts and prayers for Keith.

OP
OP
Papa

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Thanks for all the well wishes and encouragement, I am doing well. I just hope Keith has no infection. Those can be nasty.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Hoping the best for Keith. I was released at noon three days after my replacement and by 6 that night was back in the hospital with suspected nfection. Remained there for the next week with them running all kinds of tests. Had a pic line put in and had to do injections once I got home for the next 14 days. What a PIA. All of that and I didn't have any infection. Knee replacement was done last July 30 and it still isn't right. Wondering if it'll ever get back to normal?

Top Bottom