Older ST1100 purchase

Hi guys, Im looking at a 92' ST1100 with about 90K miles on the odo. Bike runs great, sounds great and rides very good, no leaks, stops good. I cant really find anything major wrong with it and the price is right. My question is what type of maintenance should I be ready to perform (and budget for), assuming that I cant find out any previous maintenance that was done ( previous owner deceased) to the bike. I will assume needs new tires, clutch is strong, cables look original or old, replace all of them, needs brakes and rotors, plugs, maybe wires, all fuel lines need to be replaced. What else do I need to worry about??????
Thanks Ron

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Time to replace timing belt if not already done.....John O has a bunch of 1100 things in the tech files, your guru to good ST1100 health...enjoy the ride, great bike..........ff

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
90K is the point at which the timing belt is to be replaced. You can go longer, but that is the books advice. Each one I have removed looked practically new save for the lettering being mostly worn off.
Also something to check before buying, is the condition of the the drive splines. If Molly past was used regularly, they should be fine. If it has gone 90K without regular Molly application, they could be damaged, possibly badly damaged. Looking at the splines is as easy as pulling the rear wheel, something you will get used to when changing tires.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I would check the electrical connections by the voltage regulator/rectifier, the red plug to the main relay, and the three yellow wire connector from the alternator. These can be found on the left side when you remove the left side plastic cover. You will be looking for any evidence of melting connectors. if all is good, make sure the contacts are clean and tight and apply dielectric grease to the connectors as well. (There could be a remote possibility that the alternator has been upgraded to a 40 amp unit, if so you wouldn't have to worry too much about the connectors as the VRR is built into the 40amp alternator)
enjoy

OP
OP
Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. I have made a todo list and will get started soon. I did get all of the old receipts with the bike, so Im going to reassemble or rebuild the maintenance history using these.
thanks again.
Ron

Bike
2004 ST1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Add the fuel shutoff to the list of thing to do. This can leave you sitting on the side of the road shaking your head on
what went wrong. Several threads on this over the years & a easy fix.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Friendly Suggestion :

If you can swing it, get a newer ST1100 with less miles and the 40 amp alternator ( automotive type ) . The early models only have a 28 amp ( PM magnet / stator type with the separate rectifier/regulator ). A lot of owners upgrade to the 40 amp alternator. So why not just buy a newer model, now ?

Most ST1100 owners are happy with the bike. I love mine. I test rode a K1600GTL last year, and seriously , with my RaceTech Gold Valve kit & front springs and Progressive Suspension rear shock, my ST1100 is just about as smooth on the slab.

Last edited:
Top Bottom