VFR1200 brakes on ST1300

I guess the itch to drive a sports bike with DCT and see how it is actually feels while driving a bike without clutch caused me to test drive a 2010 VFR1200 DCT yesterday. All things aside, after test driving it I came away really impressed with the braking on that motorcycle.

Upon close inspection, I saw that the entire brake assembly unit was bigger than what I had on my 2012 ST1300. I was wondering if anyone has experimented with replacing the front braking unit on ST1300 with the unit from VFR1200. I can do some basic maintenance activities but not a pro or anything like that, so wondering if this is something that is worth trying. Looking for any pointers from experts out there in this area.

In case anyone is interested, I think the genuine part number for front left of VFR1200 brake unit is Honda Part No: 45150-MGE-006.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
I had both bikes.

I don't know how you'd manage to install radially-mounted VFR1200F brakes on conventional ST1300 mounts? :confused:

Bike
R1200rt
[

I don't know how you'd manage to install radially-mounted VFR1200F brakes on conventional ST1300 mounts? :confused:[/QUOTE]

vfr brakes are applied by a hydraulic pump that reads a electrical signal from the brake levers. A rocket scientist would have a had time fitting this system .......................................................................there is a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven, just go to show where the traffic is anticipated !!!

I had both bikes.

I don't know how you'd manage to install radially-mounted VFR1200F brakes on conventional ST1300 mounts? :confused:
Oh no!!.......you know know many will be thinking of a way to do this. Fork swap? When I had my FZ6 many of the guys in the FZ6 forum would seemingly come up with ways to do the impossible. Fork swap with an R6 was one. Complete compatibility charts with every part which could be swapped onto the the FZ6. Guys were installing ABS systems and R1 motors....where there is a will....there is a way.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Guys were installing ABS systems and R1 motors....where there is a will....there is a way.
I've seen this taken to extremes a few times where you just had to scratch your head and ask why they just didn't buy a different bike in the first place. I guess they just wanted a magical combination of features that no single bike offered. I seem to recall many years ago seeing a FJ1200 with about $5-6k in Performance Machine wheels, rotors, calipers, etc. I think the entire bike cost about that much that brand new.

Top Bottom