Looking for brake pad suggestions

Bike
92 ST1100
Do cost a bit more......but OEM Honda pads. BTDT with the comparible EBC pad from Honda dealer when they were out of the correct Honda pads(front). Not near as smooth, and the hardened cheese-grater Honda rotors reduced them to half the life of OEM. Lesson learned;).

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Smart decision Todd.

I'll add:
Some of the 'harder' after market pads will shorten the rotor life on these bikes.
You do *not* want to see/know the rotor replacement cost... and if you do you'll be glad you are running the OEM pads!
;)

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...you'll be glad you are running the OEM pads!
Yep...

Like when streaming down roads like this in "heavy combat mode" (two up and luggage of course) ;-)

zhangjiajie.jpg

With OEM no change in brake performance between the first and the very last hairpin there ;-)
(in fact will they only bite even better once warmed up a little :cool: )

Same in the brake performance stages during motorcycle safety trainings... (always fun to show them young dudes on their lightweight hypersports how its done, cause I dare to fully clamp into the stoppers of my "ancient" full-dressed tourer... :cool: )

OP
OP
Bike
93 ST1100
I can find OEM front pads. Does anyone know where I can get OEM pads for the rear disc besides a Honda dealer? Thanks!

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
www.hondapartsnation.com

I'm not sure if they're technically a dealer, but their prices aren't bad. The whole reason I got into the habit of buying non-OEM brake pads was in the pre-Internet days the dealers around here would gouge you so bad the price was usually 2x or more for the OEM pads vs. a comparable friction compound in EBC/Ferodo/Galfer/SBS. The Internet has finally leveled that playing field.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Martin - I don't recognize that one - what/where is it?
Oh, that's Tianmen Mountain in China, liked it for the spectacular view ;-) (I'll probably never manage to get my ST there though...)

But as you know are the local roads here not much behind: G[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT]r?dner, Sella, [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT]Pordoi, Falzarego, [/FONT]R[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT]olle pass, Manghen pass, Timmelsjoch, Stilfser Joch, Jaufen pass, Penser Joch, Gaviapa?, W?rzjoch, small & large St. Bernhard ... TLGO...
Even my "backyard playground" can be challenging for them brakes, just 45 minutes from here I can scrape pegs in backsweeps the whole day long... [/FONT]

And seriously: I wouldn't mess up them perfect stoppers with anything then OEM in that terrain... with the abyss just a few feet aside...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I remember Dave and I were coming down the road from Monte Zoncolan when he radioed me that his ST1100 rear brake was 'gone'.
LOL! Uoops! Wrong choice of brake fluid... ;-)
I had that exactly once, on the S?lkpass, with a Castrol DOT4 in the system... bit of a pucker factor as that pedal "fell" through while I was hammering downhill into a LH backsweep (probably chasing a CBR or such), two up with luggage...
I clawed into the lever to haul that 0.7 ton rig down with the front only, tire yelping in protest... :lol: (flexortendons sore for a day or two... :? )
Managed to pump the rear brake back up for the next RH corner though, and continued without any further incidents down into the valley... but imagine such in combination of a bad choice on brake pads, and/or dubious aftermaket rotors... yuch! :shock:

And that was it with Castrol for me... back to BelRay Super-DOT4 and never had an issue like that again ever...
Amazing that some, possible minor modifications in the recipe of such a banal item like brake fluid can really make the difference... but with the improved reliability and gained confidence fully worth the extra buck...

Bike
2010 ST1300
I can find OEM front pads. Does anyone know where I can get OEM pads for the rear disc besides a Honda dealer? Thanks!
I've used discounthondaparts.com and cyclepartsnation.com and cheapcycleparts.com for comparison purposes, and bought most of my parts from dicount honda parts because their shipping tends to be less than the other two. The prices online are lower than my local dealer by a large margin. Because of the shipping, (even though I save on tax) it usually does not pay to buy only one or two cheap parts from online purveyors, but if you are buying expensive stuff or several pieces, the savings add up.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
Because of the shipping, (even though I save on tax) it usually does not pay to buy only one or two cheap parts from online purveyors, but if you are buying expensive stuff or several pieces, the savings add up.
You are right...I try to keep a log of misc parts (screws and fasteners) that are missing or wearing out (especially those around the Tupperware). Those plastic rivets wear out or disappear but aren't worth the $6 shipping for a $1 part. I try to add them to an order when I need something else. Last time I ordered extra rivets to have a few on hand...

To the OP, I also use http://www.hondaparts-direct.com/. I'm pleased with their service and value.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
http://www.partzilla.com/

Just did a quick comparison of one part (stator housing on a '95) and Partzilla was way cheaper than Honda parts direct - $317 as opposed to $355.

Compared the same part to all other suppliers mentioned here as well and Partzilla still came out the winner. Service Honda was closest at $2.00 more than Partzilla.

Some offer free shipping for parts over a certain $$$ value, but that would only be in the continental USA.

Last edited:
Top Bottom